Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Honestly nice work by the Canucks kind of thought he would get a little more than Hanifin but I think the fact he didn’t I think is a win. Also should have taken that 100 bet someone on here posted not long ago saying he would be traded.

Reactions: bh53 and bossram

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Still need another top 4 guy…

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - XXX
Dillon - Myers
Juulsen

Walker? Roy?

1 - Would rather not invest so much in Dillon if he's gonna play on the 3rd pair. You could get Haydn Fleury or Derek Forbort at ~$1M and spend the money more effectively elsewhere. Or hell, bring back Cole.

2 - For XXX, someone else mentioned William Carrier which is a good option. I'd also look into seeing if Columbus is willing to move on from Boqvist.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm contented enough with that. I'm not going to say "happy" per se. I still think he's maybe a $6M defenceman dragged upward in his ask by playing with Hughes. But whatever. $7.25M is palatable with the cap trending upward. Also helps to simplify just how much renovation there is to do on the blueline this summer. At least we've got a big minutes top-pair locked in now with multi-year cost stability to plan around.

Certainly beats the heck out of the $8M rumoured initial ask. 8 Years is dumb, but that's really just about bringing the AAV down while still getting him his stupid money. It's whatever. 8 Years from now is a problem for somebody else to fix. A lot is going to happen between now and then.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I will say though, if he continues to play with Hughes and they play well, maybe it gives Hughes another reason to re-sign in a few years.

He probably doesn't want to be stuck with a rotating door of Myers, Schenn, Bear, Burroughs, and Juulsen again :laugh:

I don't think this can be overstated. Hronek is the first long-term quality partner he's had since Tanev, and he's only 26. I think that's an important consideration.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he got the details you'd expect. somewhat front loaded, medium signing bonuses, and medium trade protection. weird that he has no protection this coming year. is that a cba thing?

he's the 15th best paid rhd as a % of cap on signing and he's a full 1.1 percent of cap below #14. closest rhd comparables are faulk, parayko and ellis.

overall it's a bargain for first half hronek and an overpay for second half hronek. tune in next season to see which one we got.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
he got the details you'd expect. somewhat front loaded, medium signing bonuses, and medium trade protection. weird that he has no protection this coming year. is that a cba thing?

he's the 15th best paid rhd as a % of cap on signing and he's a full 1.1 percent of cap below #14. closest rhd comparables are faulk, parayko and ellis.

overall it's a bargain for first half hronek and an overpay for second half hronek. tune in next season to see which one we got.
Let's pray for a healthy one !

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This is a very fair deal. Pretty much on market, with Hanifin setting the terms a couple months ago.

I'd probably lean moreso as a slight win for VAN and Allvin, as it is a bit less than I expected. Hronek could have got more by waiting out the season and then going to UFA next summer. Good work. They retained a legit top-four RD and one that has some chemistry with Quinn.

Getting decent buyout terms and limiting the trade protection in the back half is really underrated work and risk mitigation from Allvin.
Thanks for this, I was worried about the signing bonuses, but 2.4 dead cap is manageable. Now go out and get Guentzel!
oh wait oops.. i think there must have been a bug with capfriendly .. seems like the buyout is actually not 2.4.. it's more around 4.8 lol. oops my bad

Reactions: bossram

Pacific Canuck

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if the canucks are thinking that bringing in Tanev and Dillon to replace Cole and Zadorov is the way to go.

Hughes/Tanev
Soucy/Hronek
Dillon/Myers
Juulsen

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It honestly isn't clear to me whether his ineffectiveness late in the year was just an injury or whether he's one of those players that can't keep up in the playoffs. He looked fantastic in the first 30-40 games. I think this contract is about what he's worth.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Probably pretty fair AAV. It was never remotely going to be $8 million. I thought it was going to come in somewhere between $6.75 and $7.25 and this is toward the high end of that. I’m a little surprised at the term.

First half of the season was outstanding, 2nd half playing with an injury was mediocre and really turned the fanbase against him. Hopefully he’s back 100% for training camp.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It honestly isn't clear to me whether his ineffectiveness late in the year was just an injury or whether he's one of those players that can't keep up in the playoffs. He looked fantastic in the first 30-40 games. I think this contract is about what he's worth.
Hughes was also injured in the playoffs and I think that had a big affect on Hronek as well.

Reactions: racerjoe

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can live with it. I'm really not a fan of these 8 years deals. But at his age it's more digestible than most. The thing for me is that he's a right shot who appears to be a great fit with Hughes. I think it would have been very difficult for the team to replace him. The Canucks are finally turning the corner as an organization so it's time to keep moving forward. I think this does just that.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
If Hronek can start to hit the net more consistently he'll be worth that contract. He should be the trigger man for Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad