Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Dakota Joshua to 4y/3.25m Contract

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Underrated is that if you are going to run Blueger at 3C (which looks to be the case now) it is pretty important you flank him again with Garland-Joshua. That was really the period he legit played at that roughly 3C level last year.

Also, Joshua clearly really wanted to stay based on this number.
It honestly warms my heart knowing that guys are actively taking less money because they want to stay in Vancouver. Haven't felt this way since 2011. Kudos to Allvin and co.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Thirst line is back for the next two years at least.

Guenztel - Miller - Boeser
Lekkerimaki - Pettersson - Toffoli
Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Just imagine rolling into the season with that top nine. Need Zadorov to come in around $4-4.5 million per now, and Willander to compete for a bottom pairing role on an ELC.

Reactions: TruKnyte

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.

Just imagine rolling into the season with that top nine. Need Zadorov to come in around $4-4.5 million per now, and Willander to compete for a bottom pairing role on an ELC.
Willander is going back to BU, 0 chance he is signed.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I generally like this deal, and I like locking up the "third" line. But I think the optimism in this thread is a bit over the top as I think there is more risk in this deal than most are acknowledging, whether that be Joshua regressing a ton or his line just losing its chemistry (something that does happen).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Toffoli and Lekk? Uh...no.

Toffoli is too slow and showed signs of decline last season. Lekk is not ready.

Willander is going to back to college.

With Joshua locked up, I think they should try him out in an expanded role (top-six, PP1) to try and maximize the surplus value out of his deal.

And there is always the connection with Blueger/Garland they can go with.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I generally like this deal, and I like locking up the "third" line. But I think the optimism in this thread is a bit over the top as I think there is more risk in this deal than most are acknowledging, whether that be Joshua regressing a ton or his line just losing its chemistry (something that does happen).
I think worst case scenario is he gets around 30 points. But he'll still be big, very physical, and good defensively which'll make the contract worth it regardless.

Reactions: geebster

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We're about to pay Zad ~1.5M more than his on ice hockey ability is worth for the physicality and menace, Joshua gets some sort of premium for the same and doesn't have to actually deliver 3.25m production to be worth it. I think that makes the risk pretty low

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Barring injuries - which are a potential killer for any player - I think the 'downside' here is that he regresses back to being a 25-30 point 3rd liner who throws 250 hits and is good on the PK. And at $3.25 million ... that's barely even an overpayment. $500-750k at most.

If he keeps doing what he's doing this is a very solid deal and there is always the potential that he keeps moving further up the lineup and plays regularly with Miller or Pettersson and has a Burrows-level blow-up.

Reactions: geebster and Vector

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

There is risk, no question. Ideally, he would have been in the $2.5m AAV range to account for a step back to low 20s EVPs. So there is $775k-$1m in UFA inflation here. That just is what it is. You pay the inflator if you want the player.

I'm never one to use a recent 1 year performance as the baseline. Rather, use the regressed total and evaluate the overpay. In that sense, it's still ok for value.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
Really good to see Joshua and Blueger will be back.
I think they both left money on the table to stay and that's such a good sign. To my mind Blueger's on a sweetheart deal and Joshua's still coming in at a bit of a premium cost for what I anticipate him bringing but significantly less than I think he could have had. I think he'll be pushed to match last year's production again but we know how well they work with Garland as a unit and getting that back again is a win.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Bluger-Garland
I do think that allows the potential for a younger player to get some quality but relatively sheltered time playing alongside Petey, and that needn't be Hoglander. If any one of Podz, Raty or even Lekkerimaki could join Hoglander as solid NHLers it'd be huge for the team going forward.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
We're about to pay Zad ~1.5M more than his on ice hockey ability is worth for the physicality and menace, Joshua gets some sort of premium for the same and doesn't have to actually deliver 3.25m production to be worth it. I think that makes the risk pretty low
If they re-sign Zadorov the value in the contract will be based on projecting his future play based on his small sample size playoffs where he was a great number three defensemen. There is definitely risk, but Zadorov is also a giant, physical, good skating defensemen that can move the puck, who is 29. You can't just assume that he is done developing based on past defensemen (who are not comparable to him) that don't develop past 29. That's really the crux of it.

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
Colour me impressed that management has been able to score these discount deals after the Hronek deal (which felt like it was on the high end).

Makes all this even more of a coup.

Very happy with our front office - despite their few missteps. They fix them with minimal self-inflicted damage…and quickly.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think worst case scenario is he gets around 30 points. But he'll still be big, very physical, and good defensively which'll make the contract worth it regardless.

Barring injuries - which are a potential killer for any player - I think the 'downside' here is that he regresses back to being a 25-30 point 3rd liner who throws 250 hits and is good on the PK. And at $3.25 million ... that's barely even an overpayment. $500-750k at most.

If he keeps doing what he's doing this is a very solid deal and there is always the potential that he keeps moving further up the lineup and plays regularly with Miller or Pettersson and has a Burrows-level blow-up.
I'm generally in agreement with you both so I don't want to nitpick much, but his true downside is probably a 4th liner given that that's what he was a calendar year ago.

But I agree there is upside to. This is just an inherently more risky contract based on the small sample size.

Reactions: Else Ermine

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
If they re-sign Zadorov the value in the contract will be based on projecting his future play based on his small sample size playoffs where he was a great number three defensemen. There is definitely risk, but Zadorov is also a giant, physical, good skating defensemen that can move the puck, who is 29. You can't just assume that he is done developing based on past defensemen (who are not comparable to him) that don't develop past 29. That's really the crux of it.
No one, not even Zad, thinks he's going to be a #3 moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad