Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Stars, Kraken, and Kings really went all in on bad ideas.

Not many teams below the playoff bar have made any moves to meaningfully improve, either.

Of the playoff teams this past year, I (unfortunately) like what Edmonton did in Free Agency, but am puzzled they have yet to address their blueline. And Nashville could either be a big hit or a big disaster.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Not many teams below the playoff bar have made any moves to meaningfully improve, either.

Of the playoff teams this past year, I (unfortunately) like what Edmonton did in Free Agency, but am puzzled they have yet to address their blueline. And Nashville could either be a big hit or a big disaster.
You'd think they would have wanted to take some of the grind away from Ekholm, who just turned 34. If he goes down or loses a step they are done.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Willander & EPD say hello? (hopefully, eventually)

hes gotta be almost 70, no? maybe he's retiring
Easy now he is only a swedish 68 so a Keith Tkachuck 25.

1720198721978.png

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol this is Rutherford, he doesn't give a shit. He'll spend-spend-spend when it's time to contend and then sell-sell-sell when it's time to rebuild.
it's really not. turns out he's more strategic than that by a longshot. thanks for motivating me to check because it is interesting. he never did a mid-season rental deal for a big fish like lindholm with the pens. closest i can find was galchenyuk and reaves which were pre-season deals. the guy is a hockey trader who usually acquired players with term or as rfas. he flipped many of them but few were true rentals and almost all the rentals were aging players acquired as spare parts for minimal treasure.

galchenyuk was an expiring ufa acquired at the beginning of the season in the kessel deal but jr flipped him before the end of the season
reaves was acquired in the offseason for a pens first (31oa) but flipped before the end of the season

sheary (2nd time around) expiring ufa who walked as rental
streit was an expiring ufa who walked
hainsey was an expiring ufa who walked
lapierre was an expiring ufa who walked
marleau was an expiring ufa who walked
winnick was an expiring ufa who walked

schulz was an expiring ufa they extended

bjugstad - acquired with term
bonino - term
brassard - term
carter - term
daley - term
gudbranson - term
hagelin - term
hornqvist - term
kapanen - term
kessel - term
lovejoy - term
pearson -- term
perron - term
rodrigues -- term
zucker -- term

cole - rfa arb - resigned
mccann - rfa arb - resigned
pettersson - rfa - resigned
oleksiak - rfa arb - resigned

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
You'd think they would have wanted to take some of the grind away from Ekholm, who just turned 34. If he goes down or loses a step they are done.

Totally agree. Broberg showed some promising signs this spring, but nobody is an heir apparent to the heavy minutes and vital role that Ekholm plays.

I'm looking at Toronto with interest, too. Tanev gives them an elite shut down D (how long he can hold up, similar to Ekholm, is a great question). But Toronto's biggest problems lie between the ears (or in the chests) of its best forwards.

Reactions: Szechwan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
continuing to make final use of capfriendly i checked for rfas with arbitration rights.

there are 4 dmen

cholowski, christiansen, coghlan and stanley.

3 are from bc. stanley isn't but he is tall.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Think the Stars's productive ELC players are going to blunt some of this dumbess. Kraken and Kings could be in trouble, though.

On offense, yeah the Stars will be fine with a full season of Stankoven replacing Pavelski. Their defence is extremely top heavy, barring a Matt Dumba resurgence.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
you have to be joking... until Knoblach came in their system was a zoo. Are you going to completely ignore the start of their season ? Desharnais' career has been 142 games, but okay, let's only focus on half that then a playoffs where they had to rely on absolutely insane special teams. The Canucks for years also did not do favours to defensment because their system stunk and the forwards' ability to support them was trash; up until very recently, Oilers did the same. Edmonton has turned the corner but for the majority of Desharnais' career it's been a trash system, with no forward support, so yeah. Maybe learn to properly analyze Desharnais' entire body of work instead of only focusing on 16 games he played recently. Are you going to legitimately claim Edmonton has been a haven for producing sound defensemen, even lately?

Weren't we referring to Knoblauch's system? You said the Oilers defense was lost. It's an absurd statement for a team that makes it to game 7 of the cup final.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think their historic PK performance is probably a 1 off because anything that is historic tends to be that.

That's a false equivalence.

For example, the team that scored the most goals in one season in history is unlikely to ever accomplish that goal again; However, that means they are still an excellent goal scoring team.

So while the Oilers will never repeat that PK performance it's not the argument being made. What's being said is that they are a good defensive team and a historically good PK run supports that notion.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Weren't we referring to Knoblauch's system? You said the Oilers defense was lost. It's an absurd statement for a team that makes it to game 7 of the cup final.

I had to eat a lot of crow with regards to the team defense they played in the playoffs. Although I do wonder - was it a hot run that can't be sustained? Or is that the start of something good with them?

If they can maintain an elite PK and that level of team defense, they'll definitely be contending for Cup again next spring. (I don't think their PK is going 98% all year - but if can be top tier, that's huge)

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I had to eat a lot of crow with regards to the team defense they played in the playoffs. Although I do wonder - was it a hot run that can't be sustained? Or is that the start of something good with them?

If they can maintain an elite PK and that level of team defense, they'll definitely be contending for Cup again next spring. (I don't think their PK is going 98% all year - but if can be top tier, that's huge)

A lot has to go right to make it that far. I'm not even saying the Oilers are an elite defensive team, just that they are not lost...and they proved that. To me the Senators would be example of a team lost defensively

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Yeah, people like to run with narratives but that group played excellent team defence despite individually not being elite players. Sometimes that's all it takes to turn the corner. Just like our team improved greatly last year. I don't think we can continue poking fun at the Oilers defence anymore.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
A couple of RFA defenders I wonder about is Arber Xhekaj and Jordan Spence.

Canucks apparently had interest in Xhekaj last season. He fits the team's defensive philosophy, has shown some offensive skill in the AHL, and is getting squeezed a bit on the NHL roster. He is waivers-exempt still so there's no pressure on the Canadiens to trade him.

Spence is very undersized but players much bigger, is a good puck mover, and no longer waivers-exempt. The Kings will have a cap crunch if they want to lock up Byfield long term, fill out the rest of the roster, and make room for Brandt Clarke.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
My head cannon says that the Oilers had the freshest bottom 6 out of all teams so they were able to out perform as the playoffs moved on.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i thought they adjusted remarkably well during each series against us, dallas and florida. when they did it against us i thought it was just ebb and flow and us fading but then watching them close out dallas and take florida to the end i think their coaching staff did well.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah credit to Knoblauch there, he made the strategic adjustments in every series and maybe some great pep talks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad