Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That's a false equivalence.

For example, the team that scored the most goals in one season in history is unlikely to ever accomplish that goal again; However, that means they are still an excellent goal scoring team.

So while the Oilers will never repeat that PK performance it's not the argument being made. What's being said is that they are a good defensive team and a historically good PK run supports that notion.
I mean they were like 96% or something stupid like that. Yeah of course you are going to do well when you give up like a total of like 5-6 goals in the entire playoffs. I think they only gave up 1 goal against Florida?

It’s likely they will drop back down to something that is more reasonable like in the 80-85% range. Basically they wouldn’t have made it past us or maybe even Dallas if their PK was in the 80ish% range and that is already a pretty damn good PK

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I mean they were like 96% or something stupid like that. Yeah of course you are going to do well when you give up like a total of like 5-6 goals in the entire playoffs. I think they only gave up 1 goal against Florida?

It’s likely they will drop back down to something that is more reasonable like in the 80-85% range. Basically they wouldn’t have made it past us or maybe even Dallas if their PK was in the 80ish% range and that is already a pretty damn good PK
FWIW, their (98.6%net) PK performance was the 2nd best since recording PK stats became a thing (1977-1978). Only LA in 2012 :( was better at 98.7%. Both teams were -1.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
That one seems more like bad luck to me. Faber looked like a good but not spectacular prospect prior to the trade. Fiala meanwhile looked like a guy with another level offensively thst had been stifled due to systems and teammates in Minny.

Fiala hasn't taken that next step (and how could he playing in Las system), and Faber's trajectory skyrocketed.

Looks way worse in hindsight imo.
Yeah but it’s not just Faber

It’s Faber + a 1st for Fiala

Reactions: BimJenning

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

This doesn't really tackle the point that they are a good defensive team though. A bad defensive team doesn't fluke its way to a historically good PK. It seems hard for you to understand this because your personal feelings about the Oilers are getting in the way from objectivity. I'm not saying a 96% PK rate is sustainable - I'm saying they are not 'lost' defensively as was originally said.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
This makes no sense.

Yeah, what the hell. Buffalo thinks they're competing and need a bottom six center now. Savoie is tiny but just had a pretty good year and just 2 years removed from #9 overall. They already have Benson and maybe don't want another tiny center/winger?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Buffalo just traded a legit top 6 C prospect for 3rd line center with little offensive skill and an AHLer.

Why?

Because the Sabres are chock full of small, soft skill guys who are going to cap out as wingers and their number one need for the last few years has been adding a true matchup centre with excellent defensive, PK, and faceoff numbers and they just got it. They are actually addressing a glaring need instead of throwing more offence-only skill guys into the mix.

I think overall it makes sense I just think there's a lot of sticker shock around Savoie.

IMO this makes EDM worse next year and I'm really into that.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Because the Sabres are chock full of small, soft skill guys who are going to cap out as wingers and their number one need for the last few years has been adding a true matchup centre with excellent defensive, PK, and faceoff numbers and they just got it.

I think overall it makes sense I just think there's a lot of sticker shock around Savoie.

I understand the potential logic in it, but there's more cost efficient or cheaper ways to address your bottom 6 rather than selling assets like Savoie. It stinks of a Benning-like trade where he would pay up the arse for guys with low ceilings.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Because the Sabres are chock full of small, soft skill guys who are going to cap out as wingers and their number one need for the last few years has been adding a true matchup centre with excellent defensive, PK, and faceoff numbers and they just got it. They are actually addressing a glaring need instead of throwing more offence-only skill guys into the mix.

The issue is you'd think they could do better than McLeod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad