Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
player comes into the nhl unproven.

Lights it up in the ahl.

He’s proven he deserves a chance at the nhl which Columbus gives him a chance.

Not seeing the success he had in the AHL he says he deserves to be on the number 1 PP play unit?

these are already red flags as hell. this guys is entitled.
Pascal Vincent is an idiot. Watched a few interviews/read a few articles regarding his comments on Jiricek this year and they all had me cringing. CBJ would be very silly to move off a prospect like him and I think Waddell is smarter than that. Some good local kids on that team, I hope they make a good head coach hire this time around.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Speaking of CBJ, Irf mentioned there is an RFA situation they are monitoring and I wonder if Kent Johnson could be the guy. CBJ is in a tough situation with him, with a strained relationship with the player.

That's a player that can change some of the Canucks calculus down the middle for the long term as Miller gets older. I can see the Canucks offering a small package centered around Hoglander. A young 24 goal scoring winger to play with Lindstrom and Fantilli probably appeals more them more than a surplus center than Kent Johnson does.

Last edited:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Our D is sorely lacking at the moment.

Not very secure knowing that Myers Soucy is not a very good top 4 pairing and that Forbort Desharnais is bad at hockey but can defend the house and thats about it. Scraping the barrel for barely 3rd pairing and probably not that good at complementing each other as well.

Hronek better not take a step back or were in big trouble and at the moment there is little options but to play Hughes Hronek 25 minutes a night and burn them out

Gonna have to find at least 1 good player that can log 18-20 minutes and hopefully a long term top3 D that can help lock down a 2nd pairing or play with hughes if you move Hronek off that top pair

Willander & EPD say hello? (hopefully, eventually)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Thomas Gradin is no longer listed as a scout by the Vancouver Canucks: Official Vancouver Canucks Website | Vancouver Canucks

hes gotta be almost 70, no? maybe he's retiring

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I think this is likely, barring something falling in their lap they can't turn down. It allows them to accrue cap space during the season, and make a Zadorov-type move later. They also appear to have a higher opinion of Forbort and Desharnais than the fans.

I could see them seeing something in Desharnais, since he played with a defensively lost oilers team, but Forbert has been a 7th on some teams with quality defensive systems.

I like the idea of having more flexibility up to the deadline. Advantageous

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I could see them seeing something in Desharnais, since he played with a defensively lost oilers team, but Forbert has been a 7th on some teams with quality defensive systems.

Yeah the Oilers just stumbled through the forest in to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final with a completely lost defense. Come on man.

I hate their arrogant fans too but we should still be able to properly analyze their roster.

Totally agree on CAP flexibility. We will be able to package a 1st and potentially grab the top defenseman available with our CAP space going in to the playoffs.

Reactions: Szechwan

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah the Oilers just stumbled through the forest in to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final with a completely lost defense. Come on man.

I hate their arrogant fans too but we should still be able to properly analyze their roster.

Totally agree on CAP flexibility. We will be able to package a 1st and potentially grab the top defenseman available with our CAP space going in to the playoffs.
There's some suspect elements to the Oiler's defensive abilities. They had trouble holding a leader. The Nurse-Ceci pairing in particular was quite bad for them. Knobloch probably lost the cup by going back to that versus the Panthers even after the Canucks exposed it over and over.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
which LD defenseman would u have signed instead of forbort? i would have signed branstrom. for puck moving abilities to pair alongside deharnais tbh.
Quickness, agility and edge work is outstanding and he relies on these skills heavily to evade opponents and create time and space
Hockeyprospect.com 2017
could have another hughes 2.0

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Most GM's are frauds, IMHO... or at least, overrated. They are products, largely, of circumstance and luck.
There are outliers at both ends of the spectrum, of course.
Except Benning, he’s generationally bad and never a fraud.

I think their historic PK performance is probably a 1 off because anything that is historic tends to be that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

you have to be joking... until Knoblach came in their system was a zoo. Are you going to completely ignore the start of their season ? Desharnais' career has been 142 games, but okay, let's only focus on half that then a playoffs where they had to rely on absolutely insane special teams. The Canucks for years also did not do favours to defensment because their system stunk and the forwards' ability to support them was trash; up until very recently, Oilers did the same. Edmonton has turned the corner but for the majority of Desharnais' career it's been a trash system, with no forward support, so yeah. Maybe learn to properly analyze Desharnais' entire body of work instead of only focusing on 16 games he played recently. Are you going to legitimately claim Edmonton has been a haven for producing sound defensemen, even lately?

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Kind of unfair to assume the Doerrie "handling" was on the team, how do we know that she didn't play a part in it? The rest are all fair enough points, I've brought my issues with them as well.
I disagree.

They could have handled it in a way that didnt spiral out the way it did.
Don't really care about Rutherford going at the media, Gillis and Burke did it too.
Yeah but when you add it on to that list of shit it seems petty.

If Rutherford ran a ship that didnt have a different distraction every other week maybe he gets treated different by the media, you know.. like he has been treated different by the media this past season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Most of this is irrelevant noise
Disagree.

No point trying to explain to you why it is obviously relevant if a sports team has distractions from top to bottom of the organization from front office to medical team to coaching staff to on the ice.
and unrelated whatsoever to what was actually being discussed.
If you follow the line of discussion that I was replying to;

If ~3 contracts that didn't work out is enough to make all the good Yzerman in his management career irrelevant, surely a season of mismanagement is a comparable offense?

Not saying either point is true. Just pointing out that by that posters logic our current management should be viewed as poorly.
Mikheyev wanted to try and play through his injury for as long as he could....the team clearly should have shut him down instead.
Not this f***in discussion again...
Mikheyev is not an orthopaedic surgeon. He is not competent to decide if he should or should not play. Team should employ top of the line medical staff who makes these calls.
Kuzmenko extension was a risk and it didn't work
The most obvious red flag statistical profile in modern hockey.
On balance they have made a lot more good decisions than bad decisions on player personnel and the results bare that out.
Yes.
After year 1.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Why do I get the feeling if Seattle is selling by the deadline in 2025, Canucks will go hard after Larsson?

Hughes-Larsson
Soucy-Hronek is a strong top 4. Myers being on 3rd pair is actually good as well.
Larsson has been my thought for a while too in terms of hoping to find a stronger partner for Hughes. 4M cap hit will be easy for a lot of teams to add him. I hope that he has a shit season honestly so that Van doesn't have to pay another 1st.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I am optimistic that the system implemented by Tochet, Foote, and Gonchar will have as good an impact on the play of Forbort and Desharnais as it has on Myers.
I spent a good chunk of time during the Oilers series annoyed that we weren't exposing that Desharnais pairing.

I assumed they would be playing soft minutes and be a bit of a liability if we could catch them out there vs our top6, but as the series progressed so did my opinion of VD, and I suspect managements did too.

He is a late bloomer as NHLers go, and apparently he appears to be able to stick closely to a system and play within his skillset. I didn't see a lot Myers-brain going on where he overestimated his abilities, he just calmly made an easy pass when it was available and went off the glass and out when it wasn't. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with how he looks in our system.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
puckpedia's interface is so f***ing ugly

Yes hopefully they work on that. I assume what they’re implementing is a roster builder / GM mode similar to Cap Friendly.

They have a massive competitive advantage with something similar already in place to basically step right in. Maybe some of Cap Friendly’s designers were laid off and can fix up the UI.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Speaking of CBJ, Irf mentioned there is an RFA situation they are monitoring and I wonder if Kent Johnson could be the guy. CBJ is in a tough situation with him, with a strained relationship with the player.

That's a player that can change some of the Canucks calculus down the middle for the long term as Miller gets older. I can see the Canucks offering a small package centered around Hoglander. A young 24 goal scoring winger to play with Lindstrom and Fantilli probably appeals more them more than a surplus center than Kent Johnson does.

Why wouldn't CBJ just play Johnston at wing?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

Forbort was brought in because he's been a really good penalty killer throughout his career. Since signing in Boston, no defender has averaged more SH TOI/GP. during his 4 seasons In LA, only Doughty averaged more SH TOI/GP...in his short stint with WPG he was the SH TOI/GP leader as well. The obvious question is whether he can stay healthy, and at $1.5MM it's not a huge investment to make. good role model for someone like D Petey too. I like it a lot more than spending 2x+ on (penalty taking machine) Ian Cole who faded down the stretch and doesn't have any more steps to lose before he's nearly unplayable IMO.

It's pretty obvious from nearly all the signings they made (both external UFAs and our own guys on expiring deals) they really prioritized players who could contribute on the PK.

Reactions: bob77 and Nick Lang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad