Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I have been looking hard at LD too. Forbort getting turned into a 8th D-Man wouldn't be the worst thing. His caphit wouldn't look out of place in the press box and he's played partial seasons before.

Plus Soucy does get injured a bunch.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Totally agree. Forbort is also pretty injury prone I believe and Soucy got injured a couple of times last season.

Forbort's health is certainly the question, believe he's had two groin surgeries and a hand injury recently. When healthy, though, he's basically played similar minutes for the Bruins to what Cole player for us last year (between 17-19 minutes), and has led their top-10 PK alongside Carlo.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
My cynicism about Blake and Yzerman has paid off. Both have been very bad when it comes to actually making moves that improve the team.

The funny thing is that I don’t mind Yzerman’s moves up front, for the most part. It’s that there’s the mythology built up around him that people are finally realizing it’s just that.

The teardown version of a rebuild is much easier than the building back up part. Neither of them have shown a knack at that part yet.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
My cynicism about Blake and Yzerman has paid off. Both have been very bad when it comes to actually making moves that improve the team.

The funny thing is that I don’t mind Yzerman’s moves up front, for the most part. It’s that there’s the mythology built up around him that people are finally realizing it’s just that.

The teardown version of a rebuild is much easier than the building back up part. Neither of them have shown a knack at that part yet.
Yzerman doesn't have a Hedman or Stamkos to start with like he did in Tampa. thats a huge difference while Seider and Lucas Raymond are not bad young guys, far from anything of a Stamkos and Hedman. Yzerman similar to Holland. OVERRATED.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I have been looking hard at LD too. Forbort getting turned into a 8th D-Man wouldn't be the worst thing. His caphit wouldn't look out of place in the press box and he's played partial seasons before.

Plus Soucy does get injured a bunch.

I think this may be he plan anyway. Easier to find an LD than RD, Forbort brings a dependable but redundant skill set, and he’s frequently injured. Canucks have a decent amount of depth on the right side too.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
yeah they turned iaffalo, vilardi, kupari and durzi into darcy kuemper (via pld and the durzi for a 2nd deal) and moved walker, grans and a 2nd just to get rid of cal petersen's contract (and they also had to retain on provorov for some reason)

just all time panic gming
And Faber, they got what’s his name but man, he f***ed up so hard.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the faber/fiala trade was fine. at the time he was coming off a pretty unimpressive sophmore year where he had regressed from his freshman performance and the kings had brandt clarke in the same position/role who was coming off an absurd season in the ohl

anyone who thought faber would turn out the better of the two back then would have been in the extreme minority

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Our D is sorely lacking at the moment.

Not very secure knowing that Myers Soucy is not a very good top 4 pairing and that Forbort Desharnais is bad at hockey but can defend the house and thats about it. Scraping the barrel for barely 3rd pairing and probably not that good at complementing each other as well.

Hronek better not take a step back or were in big trouble and at the moment there is little options but to play Hughes Hronek 25 minutes a night and burn them out

Gonna have to find at least 1 good player that can log 18-20 minutes and hopefully a long term top3 D that can help lock down a 2nd pairing or play with hughes if you move Hronek off that top pair

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
This is my thinking as well, and it lines up with contracts too. Forbot is here on a 1 year 1.5M deal while Desharnais was signed for 2 years at 2M. Not that necessarily means much but to me Forbort will be a very expensive #7 (once they upgrade the defense) while Desharnais will play on the bottom pairing regularly as he's definitely better than Juulsen and Friedman.

So

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
LD - Desharnais
Forbort

Honestly I don't care for it at all. I will give management the benefit of the doubt as their pro-scouting has largely been good but man I hope there is a trade sooner than later.

It depends on the LD - if it's good enough, potentially it can anchor the second pairing. If Vancouver is able to add someone like Sanheim or Gavrikov partway through the year, that would be an extremely strong blueline.

Honestly, D depth is overrated. As I mentioned earlier, the D as it stands today is better than either blueline that just played in the Cup finals. It's also substantially better than any blueline Rutherford ever won a Cup with, in Carolina or Pittsburgh.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
This represents such a superficial understanding of Hoglander's contributions to the team. Anyone can put up promising stats riding shotgun with Pettersson and getting some fortuitous bounces. He doesn't have the hockey IQ to play in a prominent offensive role in this league.

You know who else was a promising 23 year old with a 36 point season? Jake Virtanen. Cutting him loose then would have absolutely been the right call. Instead we re-signed him to a contract we bought out.
A big difference between Virtanen and Hog is that Hog was awesome in his first season here and started his second season red hot as well. He looked like a surefire bet to develop into a top 6 winger. Virtanen was crap his entire tenure except that one unbelievably flukey season.

It took Green's patented "prospect development plan"™ of benching Hog after scoring, benching him after playing well, throwing him on every possible line to avoid any chance of chemistry, and giving him absolutely no feedback or clue as to why he's getting jerked around or punished to crush him. The exact same garbage treatment that led to Garland thinking he had a bad year after putting up a monstrous 50 ES points leading to a slump the next year.

I was really disappointed by him in the playoffs and I'm not against using him as a trade chip for the same reasons as most here and if he gets stuck on the 4th line next year he's not going to score 20 from there again, but I think he still has more upside than we've seen so far.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

People love to say this about Yzerman but never have a specific answer for how they could have done better. He inherited a bunch of bad contracts and busts when he took over in 2019, and there are no elite forwards drafted near Detroits picks that they missed. They got screwed by the lottery in their tank years and did the best with what they ended up with. If they get one of Byfield or Stutzle like they should have in 2020 their franchise outlook is tremendously different right now.

Up until 2023. His single biggest mistake in the rebuild was ending the tank right before the 2023 season and a draft class packed with elite talent. He desperately needed to tank one more year and pull one of the four 1C's at the top of the draft but he didn't. But all of the criticism is that Detroit should be better now, not that they should have tanked longer, and that they should have franchise talent by now as if that's the GM's fault when there isn't any that was picked anywhere near their draft slots.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
People love to say this about Yzerman but never have a specific answer for how they could have done better. He inherited a bunch of bad contracts and busts when he took over in 2019, and there are no elite forwards drafted near Detroits picks that they missed. They got screwed by the lottery in their tank years and did the best with what they ended up with. If they get one of Byfield or Stutzle like they should have in 2020 their franchise outlook is tremendously different right now.

Up until 2023. His single biggest mistake in the rebuild was ending the tank right before the 2023 season and a draft class packed with elite talent. He desperately needed to tank one more year and pull one of the four 1C's at the top of the draft but he didn't. But all of the criticism is that Detroit should be better now, not that they should have tanked longer, and that they should have franchise talent by now as if that's the GM's fault when there isn't any that was picked anywhere near their draft slots.

Yzerman should have done what Bill Zito did - use open spots on his roster to audition players with upside. Zito found a bunch of core pieces that way: Verhaeghe, Forsling, Bennett, Montour, etc. Instead Yzerman overpaid a host of declining vets - Copp, Compher, Chiarot, Holl, etc. He put a firm ceiling on what was achievable with his team.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think they should’ve done what Chicago did and do a f*** it burn it all down tank. Right now they don’t have that elite talent that is needed to actually compete.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Honestly, D depth is overrated. As I mentioned earlier, the D as it stands today is better than either blueline that just played in the Cup finals. It's also substantially better than any blueline Rutherford ever won a Cup with, in Carolina or Pittsburgh.

this is interesting and i never noticed this before. the two weakest, most star-less cup-winning d corps of my lifetime were both assembled by JR. he has the norris winner obviously, maybe he can collect the hat trick here?

but i’m realizing, after them are this year’s panthers next worse? other candidates are the oilers after coffey was traded, montreal in 93 led by young desjardins, tampa in 2003 led by pavel kubina and pre-all-star dan boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad