Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Heinen Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson DeBrusk
Joshua Blueger Garland
Sherwood Suter Podkolzin

1st line adds Heinen who I think will gel the easiest with.
2nd gets Jake who should compliment Petey who never had previous breakout/entry help.
3rd line is kept in the hopes they keep the chemistry going.
4th adds Sherwood to a well rounded line that could produce like a 3rd line while irritating the hell out of the opposition

Players will bounce around trying to find chemistry but on paper this is what we’re working with until/unless a trade changes things

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i think the washington captials are over the cap. any interest in their defensemen? like tvr?

You guys have any guesses on which defensemen the team could target this season?

Either upcoming UFAs or 'hockey deals'?
ramus anderson from calgary. or cernak? The forward group 100% got better , defense is more of the same. but slower. depends on who they get for that 2nd pairing down the road should be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flik

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Not saying they are, but it’s incredible that no one had the Canucks in on DeBrusk, Sherwood, Heinen, Forbort or Desharnais. Like, not a whisper. Friedman posted a team by team breakdown before free agency opened and he had bupkis on the Canucks.

They run a tight ship.
Yeah I think that’s why we should really take rumors lightly in this market.

Reactions: racerjoe

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Knights GM Kelly McCrimmon Knights press conference.

Closing comments
Days like these hard for fans, but even harder for GMs. “I know these players better than fans”. “We didn’t trade these players.” “We made fair offers, and they had the chance to chase something different.”
“One of the big reasons why we won the Cup is because we had a lot of players outperforming their contracts, but when their contracts are up, there’s not much you can do.”
-------------

I had said it months ago Miller, Joshua, Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Hoglander, Zad, Lindholm, Demko. I'd say all of them out performed their contracts last season. Clear raises and gone are Lindholm and Zad. Hronek and Joshua getting much larger contracts but staying.

Slippery slope for the next couple of years to find good ELC's and be able to afford to pick up what they need at the TDL.

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
Knights GM Kelly McCrimmon Knights press conference.

Closing comments
Days like these hard for fans, but even harder for GMs. “I know these players better than fans”. “We didn’t trade these players.” “We made fair offers, and they had the chance to chase something different.”
“One of the big reasons why we won the Cup is because we had a lot of players outperforming their contracts, but when their contracts are up, there’s not much you can do.”
-------------

I had said it months ago Miller, Joshua, Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Hoglander, Zad, Lindholm, Demko. I'd say all of them out performed their contracts last season. Clear raises and gone are Lindholm and Zad. Hronek and Joshua getting much larger contracts but staying.

Slippery slope for the next couple of years to find good ELC's and be able to afford to pick up what they need at the TDL.
We have to start keeping some picks and developing players for that to happen.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
We have to start keeping some picks and developing players for that to happen.
That's kind of the hard part. Looking at Florida who made their big moves in previous years with 1st round picks used to acquire Reinhart and some 2nds for Bennett.
Vegas a prospect picked 30th to acquire a cheap top 6 forward in Barbashev.
Colorado using a 2nd and a prospect picked in the 2nd to acquire Manson and a prospect picked late first and a 2nd to acquire Lekhonen.

Van has given away 2-2nds and a 3rd to dump contracts in the past 3 years. A 1st and 2nd to buyout a defencemen and a middle 6 forward.

Winning, developing the Canucks just can't do both.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Boo Hoo McCrimmon you got Eichel Barbashev Hanifin at excellent ages but had to pay them chose to chase Pietrangelo Stone and keep some players at the end of apex of their careers used LTIR to go way over the cap and won a cup.
Ultimately you achieved a goal organizations can only dream of have had one of the best home ice experiences packed the building and already established a legacy. The fact that you were ruthless with players to achieve that has come to roost and many of them are choosing their own paths now. Hard to feel sorry for ya after 7yrs and 95 playoff games

Reactions: Chiripa20

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Boo Hoo McCrimmon you got Eichel Barbashev Hanifin at excellent ages but had to pay them chose to chase Pietrangelo Stone and keep some players at the end of apex of their careers used LTIR to go way over the cap and won a cup.
Ultimately you achieved a goal organizations can only dream of have had one of the best home ice experiences packed the building and already established a legacy. The fact that you were ruthless with players to achieve that has come to roost and many of them are choosing their own paths now. Hard to feel sorry for ya after 7yrs and 95 playoff games

I think there are more acts to come from Vegas, but yeah, watching some of this blow up in their face is a bit enjoyable. I've said it a few times, biggest asshole franchise in the league. Yes, it's a business and yes hard decisions get made sometimes, but that franchise is so quick to cast things aside to chase other shiny toys. They look to be in a bit of a cap conundrum right now, and with Shea Theodore becoming a free agent next year, it'll be interesting to see what they juggle and prioritize.

They'll still be a good team, and the acquisition of Hanifin is a really good one for their back end - but I didn't love the Hertl trade for them.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I know zadina hasn't panned out, wonder if it's worth throwing min salary have him as extra fwd.

Also, klingberg is still avail. I mean for league min u cant really go wrong adding him to this d Corp

a guy like zadina, if he’s betting on himself and trying to resuscitate his career, isn’t going to come here. he’s going to take one look at all the wingers we have and just signed and realize he is fighting long odds, even if he plays the best hockey he can possibly play.

whereas klingberg, RHS and seeing that giant RD hole in the top six, this could be the best possible place for him, esp with the possibility of lining up across from hughes on the PP. if he clicks midyear and ends up with, say, a 35 pt season, that’s a $3m x 3 or 4 contract for him next summer.

that said, can he still play? i have no idea

Heinen Miller Boeser

this combo hadn’t occurred to me but i love that. basically a better scoring suter plus infinitely more jam.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and rea

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think there are more acts to come from Vegas, but yeah, watching some of this blow up in their face is a bit enjoyable. I've said it a few times, biggest asshole franchise in the league. Yes, it's a business and yes hard decisions get made sometimes, but that franchise is so quick to cast things aside to chase other shiny toys. They look to be in a bit of a cap conundrum right now, and with Shea Theodore becoming a free agent next year, it'll be interesting to see what they juggle and prioritize.

They'll still be a good team, and the acquisition of Hanifin is a really good one for their back end - but I didn't love the Hertl trade for them.
I loved that trade because Hertl is a mess and once everyone of they didnt already know sees how bad his knees are and he can't skate or be reliable and scrubs the notion that it was just being in SJ that was holding him back they will be holding another anchor that ends their run. That was a big mistake that probably cost them Marchesseault already and more to come to try and find some value back in their core that they just lost.

Theodore i want but unfortunately his next deal is gonna be 7yrs and he already struggles to stay healthy and has defensive lapses. Sure would look good with Soucy though for a few yrs

Reactions: Chiripa20

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I wonder if Sherwood is a fit there

In one of the Athletic articles they were saying that internally the Canucks see even more potential with Sherwood potentially moving up the lineup given that his ES production/60 is insanely good, he has a good shot/speed, and has been one of the more prolific scorers in the AHL before finally cracking the NHL full time.

I like the idea of trying Debrusk/Sherwood with Pettersson, although both wingers might be a bit too straight-line and not cerebral enough?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would love to get Byram out of Buffalo but i doubt we have what they would be looking for in return

Podkolzin for Jokiharju i would entertain. I think Pod not being able to crack our roster last year and with growth from Lekk Raty Bains and the likes of Sherwood Heinen and Joshua signed is almost redundant here now. All the Russians are gone also so it seems like a move that is inevitable for a fresh start

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Blake seems like an idiot.

Trade Pod for Kaliyev since LA appears to value size over anything.

Stick Kaliyev on EP's wing.

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-EP-Kaliyev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

or

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-EP-Kaliyev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
this combo hadn’t occurred to me but i love that. basically a better scoring suter plus infinitely more jam.
Like that combo too, also intrigued by @bossram idea just drop ep between the two new ex bruins. Or between joshua and garland.

You know brock & Miller work so leave that alone, but I also think you have to staple Hoglander into the top 6(9) for awhile, if he's going to break out give him the chance to really provide surplus value with skilled players.

Reactions: Kryten
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad