Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He wants out is the main reason..
I said this a few weeks ago but there needs to be an organizational focus on finding a top six C for 2-3 years down the line when Miller needs to be shifted to the wing as he ages.

If there’s an opportunity to make a bet on a guy they think can be a legitimate 2c, and I don’t know anything about McGroarty, they need to do that.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So after the smoke clears on July 1st, 'in' are DeBrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Forbort and Desharnais; and 'out' are Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty and DeSmith

If the Bruins end up getting the 'playoff versions' of Lindholm and Zadorov, then clearly the Canucks have taken a small step back. But of course just how those guys will perform in Boston is a great unknown.

But most experts agree that with other teams out there offering crazy, stupid money and term to guys in their 30's, the Canucks spent 'wisely'. They replaced their starting blueline depth; and added more size and physicality at the bottom of their lineup.

And in goal; they end up replacing DeSmith with like Silovs, which basically already happened in the playoffs. And they signed Jiri Patera for goaltending depth in the minors.

Looking around the league, other teams excited the UFA Frenzy Day 'talking heads' with some sexy signings. But the Canucks UFA day might have been the most underrated in the entire league.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah I think Kuz not chipping the puck in and just hanging on to it helped Mik & EP, if he did dump it in not like EP or Mik would be able to retrieve it. Pettersson needs someone good to carry the puck in that doesn’t get knocked off it easily, think DeBrusk will be a great winger for him because of that attribute. Pettersson line had a tough time maintaining possession, DeBrusk will be a huge boost.
Until they try it and it doesn't work, I really want to see Pettersson with Joshua and Garland. Blueger got a lot of clean HD looks right in front of the net because of those guys, but only managed to finish 14% of them. A healthy Pettersson should be able to finish at 25%+ from there....maybe into the 30% range in a good season.

Reactions: Chiripa20

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Didn't realize he was making 3.2mil. Yuck.

Yeah most of these bottom-pair, stay-at-home types are making like $3M this offseason too, for some reason. The guys we signed have question marks (ie. Desharnais made the NHL late, and Forbort was injured for a large part of last season), which is probably why they were on the cheaper end.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Arbitration looks at more than the immediately preceding season.
certainly. giving it less weight than the most recent season.

so if he has a worse season this year than last year, as you predict, his arbitration position is weakened accordingly.

Yeah most of these bottom-pair, stay-at-home types are making like $3M this offseason too, for some reason. The guys we signed have question marks (ie. Desharnais made the NHL late, and Forbort was injured for a large part of last season), which is probably why they were on the cheaper end.
the days of buriable salary 3rd pair dmen contracts do seem to be on their way out. it's still a barely attainable goal but i do not think much longer.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
the days of buriable salary 3rd pair dmen contracts do seem to be on their way out. it's still a barely attainable goal but i do not think much longer.

It’s interesting, the league is also clearly favouring the stay-at-home guy with size over smaller transition defensemen that have troubles in their own end. The contracts players like Lyubushkin and Edmunson got look kinda crazy to me, but appears the league is putting a premium on these guys.

Canucks moves make sense, sure they would have preferred to re-up Cole and sign Dillon, but that ended up being $7M in salary. They were looking to spend $1.5M-$2.5M on those players.

Reactions: bossram

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If the Bruins end up getting the 'playoff versions' of Lindholm and Zadorov, then clearly the Canucks have taken a small step back. But of course just how those guys will perform in Boston is a great unknown.
If this is your metric for success, you're going to end up torturing yourself. Boston is probably the best hockey fit in the league for these two players. Lindholm likely compliments Marchand and Pastrnak really well and any decline he might be (probably) undergoing is going to be masked. While Zadarov can have some intriguing chemistry with McAvoy or even Carlo.

Likewise, I thin Heinen and DeBrusk have better hockey fits in Vancouver.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and rea

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I want there to be no more movement for the rest of summer, cuz the anxiety in this chat will blow through the roof and it'll be great haha. Also bye bye pinto, Ur broken down Ford

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Just want to say it feels good talking about how we stack up against the best teams in the West like the Oilers & Stars and talking about if we have what it takes to make it out of the West this year compared to years past where we used to discuss if we’re a playoff team or not. Finally we have arrived, LFG!

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It’s interesting, the league is also clearly favouring the stay-at-home guy with size over smaller transition defensemen that have troubles in their own end. The contracts players like Lyubushkin and Edmunson got look kinda crazy to me, but appears the league is putting a premium on these guys.

Canucks moves make sense, sure they would have preferred to re-up Cole and sign Dillon, but that ended up being $7M in salary. They were looking to spend $1.5M-$2.5M on those players.

i can start a conspiracy theory.

it is very striking to see a bunch of young high draft pick rfa undersized offensive dmen go unqualified right after hughes collects the norris.

it was interesting how the canucks doubled down on surrounding hughes with the biggest dmen they could find instead of adding a pmd as expected.

and i was very interested to see zadorov get $30m.

maybe the teams know something we do not about the pending direction of officiating.

Reactions: TruGr1t

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I said this a few weeks ago but there needs to be an organizational focus on finding a top six C for 2-3 years down the line when Miller needs to be shifted to the wing as he ages.

If there’s an opportunity to make a bet on a guy they think can be a legitimate 2c, and I don’t know anything about McGroarty, they need to do that.

a wild pinto appears

i bet they could get him for some combination of hoglander, podkolzin and garland

Reactions: Vector

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Given the premiums teams are placing on these guys, I think Allvin did well with the Forbort and Desharnais acquisitions. Are they actually worse than Edmundson and Boosh getting twice the pay? I don't think so.

And a guy like Desharnais actually has some plausible upside. Whereas Boosh or Edmundson, you're pretty much staring at a downhill slope in terms of performance, with essentially no chance of unexpected upside.

So after the smoke clears on July 1st, 'in' are DeBrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Forbort and Desharnais; and 'out' are Lindholm, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty and DeSmith

But most experts agree that with other teams out there offering crazy, stupid money and term to guys in their 30's, the Canucks spent 'wisely'. They replaced their starting blueline depth; and added more size and physicality at the bottom of their lineup.

And in goal; they end up replacing DeSmith with like Silovs, which basically already happened in the playoffs. And they signed Jiri Patera for goaltending depth in the minors.

Looking around the league, other teams excited the UFA Frenzy Day 'talking heads' with some sexy signings. But the Canucks UFA day might have been the most underrated in the entire league.
I think Allvin had the best day of any GM on July 1st. Creative and shrewd signings. No landmines. Still has cap space.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Been updating my spreadsheet before CapFriendly goes dark and discovered that the Oilers are nearly 2.5m over the cap with 22/23 contracts. They haven't signed Broberg or Holloway. I have no idea what they are planning over there.

Nugent-Hopkins-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

Holloway and Broberg are projected at around 2m total but that's put them at -4.33m.

Reactions: Nopefully

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Given the premiums teams are placing on these guys, I think Allvin did well with the Forbort and Desharnais acquisitions. Are they actually worse than Edmundson and Boosh getting twice the pay? I don't think so.

And a guy like Desharnais actually has some plausible upside. Whereas Boosh or Edmundson, you're pretty much staring at a downhill slope in terms of performance, with essentially no chance of unexpected upside.

I think Allvin had the best day of any GM on July 1st. Creative and shrewd signings. No landmines. Still has cap space.
Barely.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Been updating my spreadsheet before CapFriendly goes dark and discovered that the Oilers are nearly 2.5m over the cap with 22/23 contracts. They haven't signed Broberg or Holloway. I have no idea what they are planning over there.

Nugent-Hopkins-McDabid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

Holloway and Broberg are projected at around 2m total but that's put them at -4.33m.
you misspelled McRabid

• Haha
Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

Rumour is they are trying to trade Kane, and may move Ceci.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006

Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Henrique-McLeod-Skinner
Janmark-Ryan-Perry
Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Brown
Stecher

Skinner
Pickard

22/23

-2.45m

I believe the plan might be to put Kane on LTIR (unless they can move him out)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad