Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Not sure if this posted or not. Someone better take the Oilers to cleaners when they try to dump salary.

I think Ceci is pretty easily moveable. Using Beauvillier last year as a template, we dumped him for a 5th. Ceci is in the last year of his deal and doesn’t make nearly as much. Some team will probably take him.

It gets more interesting with their rumoured attempts to move Kane. Some buzz the relationship there has already soured (shocker), and you wonder how much goodwill Kane has around the league after how things went down in SJ.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I think Ceci is pretty easily moveable. Using Beauvillier last year as a template, we dumped him for a 5th. Ceci is in the last year of his deal and doesn’t make nearly as much. Some team will probably take him.

It gets more interesting with their rumoured attempts to move Kane. Some buzz the relationship there has already soured (shocker), and you wonder how much goodwill Kane has around the league after how things went down in SJ.

I think they might put Kane on LTIR. Seems like they had this in there back pocket the whole time.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There aren’t any pairings that make me feel good. Desharnais or Myers in the top 4 isn’t serious from a contending team.

No obviously not ideal, but it's probably the most balanced current configuration given the personnel. I still think they'll add one more depth defenseman later in the off-season, but I wouldn't expect another top-four guy.

They seem to think Desharnais has some untapped upside and room to grow further.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I was reading up a little on Vincent Desharnais on the Oilers board it seems he got hurt in the Stars series that might be why is game fell off leading to him getting scratched. Kind of similar to Cole where the longer he played with his injury the more noticeable his game fell off. Which would have probably led to him being benched if the Canucks got to the third round. I really liked his game against the Canucks.
Didnt know Desharnais signed with you guys, great pickup. Hes come a long way in a couple of years and I really thought we should have kept him but it was a numbers game. He was constantly improving and I think he will have a very good year. A story I heard somewhere is his nick name in the Ahl was seaweed as whenever your around him being so long and tall you can't seem to move, enjoy!

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
There’s so much copium with the Oilers. They look dangerous and are running it back with more offense and a healthy McDrai. They’ve gotten a ton of discounts on their signings today.

A 6-4 win is the same as a 2-1 win in the playoffs.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Yeah there weren’t a lot of teams interested back when was first available and he could actually play. Will be interesting to see if there is any team that is willing to take him on even if they are paid.

But it's OK to stick Myers in the top 4..FML
He’s probably going to get like 17-18 min per night playing PP2 and mostly ES minutes. Myers is fine when his minutes are down to that range.

I have faith in this current management team, they shouldn’t be content with the current defence if they’re serious about playoff success.

Expecting more moves before pre-season games.
I expect moves around Dec..

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
How exactly does cap accrual work? Assuming that we have Silovs as our backup for 1.0m and we drop....let's just say Friedman, as the final roster cut before the season, we would actually be right below the cap without resorting to putting Poolman on LTIR with the team we have right now. How much could that money grow to by the end of the season?

Puckpedia explains it pretty well, basically cap is calculated and spent daily, and whatever you don't spend you bank and can spend later:
A team’s cap hit is calculated based on each day of the season (186 days). For every day a player is on the roster, the team’s cap hit is their full year cap hit divided by 186. Once a player is on the roster, the calculations assume they will be on the roster for the remainder of year. Example: If a player with a $925K cap hit gets called up 86 days into the season (100 days remaining), on that day the team’s projected cap hit for the year goes up $497,312 ($925K/186)*100.

Cap space “accrues” over time. A team with $500K cap room to start the year can add a player with a $1,000,000 Cap Hit halfway through season (Day 93). Due to the way the cap is calculated, a player worth $1M annually will only count for $500,000 in actual cap charge through the remainder of the year. puckpedia

If we are right under the cap, the savings aren't all that significant. For example, for every ten days with $100k in aav savings, you get to have a $1M aav player for just one day "bonus" on your roster later on. But it can offer some flexibility. As Allvin was saying in his presser today, once you build up a bit of accrued cap, it allows you to bring some players up from the minors for short stints without having to place additional players on LTIR. We could just carry some extra salary on the roster for a few days and rest some regular roster players to give some prospects some ice time. So if we are say $500k under the cap with our usual roster, every month we could call up a prospect for a week and a bit without going over the cap, and give some rest to our regulars.

I do think all this makes more sense if they move Poolman, because his $2.5M is significant dead cap to carry just to accrue a bit of flexibility.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
How is the D that different. Zadorov and Cole were bottom pairing D. Who is to say Zadorov didn't choose Boston over us? f*** him. He was basically only good for half a season and I bet he will level off now thst he has his bag.

Cole was almost unplayable as the season wore on.

We were first in the league before Zadorov and our D is hardly different to that line up.

I bet Forbort will really surprise.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I could see this:

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Desharnais
Forbort-Myers

I don't think you want a Forbort-Desharnais pairing, when both struggle to move the puck up ice. Soucy and Myers can at least advance the puck.
what if it was even icetime to

hughes desharnais
forbort hronek
soucy myers

with the bench shortened to hughes-hronek and soucy-myers/des (whichever is playing less giraffily) late in games and des and forb getting upgraded for real top four guys as the season goes on?

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
But it's OK to stick Myers in the top 4..FML
You can shit on Myers all you want, but let me tell ya, he’s taking on the toughest defensive assignments on this team.

If you guys think Myers is not suited to be a top 4 defenseman, then neither is Soucy. Cause he’s even worse. They’re both 3rd pairing D ideally.

IMG_0361.jpeg

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I still have some suspicions that Garland and/or Hoglander get moved to create space for a PMD.

It wouldn't make much sense to bring in another RD only to sit Desharnais on he bench. Myers and Hronek play every game and Desharnais played 78 last year. But I could see a LD to replace Forbort from time to time as he's had some injuries and performance concerns . It would push Friedman down to the AHL. I think they are more likely to bring in a cheap UFA as compared to trade. Who knows though.

I wanted an upgrade D too but I think this is what we're going with to start the year with. Unless they signed Forbort to be a sub. I hope they told him that if so.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Flames fans said Lindholm wouldn't likely gel with EP, Pens fans said the same about Guentzel, and now Bruins fans comments seem very similar regarding JDB..

Im inclined to agree. JDB-Miller-BB will be a thing no more than 20 games into the season.

Reactions: oceanchild

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
i mean comparing the team to what it was at the beginning of last year, we are deeper and better.
obviously not the same as the playoff roster, but we will acquire at the next tdl as well.

forward wise we added a top 6 winger, and improved depth and size
defense is same top 4 as the start of last year, instead of cole, briesebois and juulsen as the 5-6-7 we now have forbort, desharnais, friedman.

if they now trade hoglander it gives them about 4.5 mil with ltir... add that to the amount of cap we had though the defensive moves leave a lot to question. it would of made more sense acquiring a top 4 dman with a higher cap than split 3.5mil between forbort and desharnais. i dont believe paying zad 5x6 would of been the correct move.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Podkolzin- Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Suter - Garland
Sherwood - Bluger- Heinen

Feel like we still need a top 6 winger (Joshua and or Pod may fill it). Leaves me to wonder if they are hoping that Lekk makes it on to the team half way into the year. I think this is a much more difficult forward group to play against and will have purpose and make things uncomfortable. I think our D group is concerning and we need to find a more rounded dman that is preferably a number two. Garland and Hoglander are the only two with that kind of value and it would probably also take our first. A number of dmen signed today for reasonable contracts. TSN had a question about if Van and Toronto overpaid for Petty and Nylander based on today’s signing. I say no, it we get first half petey and I think we will.

I do think the team is better and will do well. They will be hard to play and should have a solid penalty kill.

I predict in 9 months we'll be talking about acquiring Brian Dumoulin or Adam Larsson to replace Forbort and Desharnais.
I predict it won’t take that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad