Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I’m not sure this team is better than last year. I think our expectations need to go back to “If everything goes right, we should be a playoff team” rather than being a cup contender.

We still lack that top end skill to complement Miller, Petey and Boeser. DeBrusk is okay but he got like what? 40 points last year?

Don’t get me started about the defence. PA burned the bridge too early with Zadorov thinking he was going to land Guentzel - and when it Tampa makes that trade, you can’t circle back.

Oh well. Nothing we can do but move forward: I think we may need to shop Garland to help on defence. Sucks we couldn’t add some skill with Skinner at 3x1. Oilers did well and took a decent gamble there.

Reactions: Fraser28

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Hard not to like some of what the Oilers have done. Addressing secondary scoring with cheap deals for Arvidsson in particular, but also Skinner, is nice work. Connor Brown staying at $1M after the big role he played in the playoffs is nice, too.

The question will be, can their defense - as a unit and as a team - springboard off their solid run of play in the playoffs, or was it a flash in the pan. Their PK certainly won’t stay at 98% or whatever it was, and Nurse and Ceci are still going to Nurse and Ceci - but if they can maintain the level of commitment to defense they showed this spring, they’ll have finally cemented themselves as a legitimate threat.
For me, the real question is if they can stay healthy or not. They were the healthiest team in the league this season. Oilers had 30,000 in cap hit of injured players / GP. The average is 120,000.

In the playoffs, they only really lost Henrique.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For me, the real question is if they can stay healthy or not. They were the healthiest team in the league this season. Oilers had 30,000 in cap hit of injured players / GP. The average is 120,000.

In the playoffs, they only really lost Henrique.

They just re-upped Janmark for three years at $1.45M as well.

Of course, apparently they are looking at bringing back one of the Chicago Rape Abetters to manage their team. Hopefully someone out there with enough brain cells vetoes that idea.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They just re-upped Janmark for three years at $1.45M as well.

Of course, apparently they are looking at bringing back one of the Chicago Rape Abetters to manage their team. Hopefully someone out there with enough brain cells vetoes that idea.

If Edmonton wanna go down that route they might as well hire Q as ast coach, hire Keith Toews and Shaw as special consultants.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If Edmonton wanna go down that route they might as well hire Q as ast coach, hire Keith Toews and Shaw as special consultants.

They’ve already brought on Kane (close your eyes and point at the list of red flags with him) and Perry (who if we accept the official version of last year’s events, was terminated from Chicago for sexual misconduct against an employee).

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They’ve already brought on Kane (close your eyes and point at the list of red flags with him) and Perry (who if we accept the official version of last year’s events, was terminated from Chicago for sexual misconduct against an employee).

Bowman as POHO, coach Q as GM, Aldrich as AGM, Patrick Kane Duncan Keith Johnathan Toews Andrew Shaw as special consultants, and give Voynoy a call, plus Virtanen another tryout.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Don't get the storyline oilers will take a step back. Arvidsson and skinner are injury prone but they can be dynamic scoring. Would have liked to see Canucks grab skinner but he's not a tocchet guy and maybe wanted to play with mcdavid.

Oilers will be interesting again.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I like what they did with the forward group given what was available in free agency. Lots of flexible, ES scoring options were added who have shown they can play Tocchet style hockey, and DeBrusk on paper could fill the net front bumper role on PP.

However, based on the first half of the day I thought the team was going to accrue cap savings and try to make a deal for an impact winger like Buch at the deadline & flip Hoglander before his contract comes due. With the Vinny signing, not sure if that’s as feasible anymore.

The signings individually were all fine and strengthened the teams depth, but on aggregate I don’t know if they’ve left themselves the space needed to address larger needs that put them in cup contender category. They need another high need end forward, and ideally more puck movement from the backend, which sounds an awful like what we were saying yesterday.

Reactions: Szechwan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Don't get the storyline oilers will take a step back. Arvidsson and skinner are injury prone but they can be dynamic scoring. Would have liked to see Canucks grab skinner but he's not a tocchet guy and maybe wanted to play with mcdavid.

Oilers still look soft to me. Canucks already took them to the brink without Demko playing them hard on the forecheck and we just got harder. I think Tocchet sees a way to beat them.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006

Scoring isn't their issue

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
They were within a goal in game 7 of the SCF. Broberg with a full season and some more potent offense is enough I think.
Yeah, like did we improve defensively either? Better defensive forwards, but our defenseman are slow as a group.

Win 6-4 instead of 4-3, what’s the difference? Oilers have gotten better for sure.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Oilers still look soft to me. Canucks already took them to the brink without Demko playing them hard on the forecheck and we just got harder. I think Tocchet sees a way to beat them.

You can play the what if game but they also walked over Dallas and kings and they both played very heavy hitting.

I hate the oilers but sometimes this fanbase just won't admit it, they lose kind of good all around guys in foegle and henrique but add two potential dynamic scorers to an already stacked offense.

If it works they can outscore there problems. Will be interesting but I don't see them being worse unless skinner and arvidsson get there typical major injuries.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Congrats to Trail native Jake Lucchini. Got a 2 year one way min salary from NSH. Someone on NSH isnt good at math. They are 179k over the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad