Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (2/33): Igor Chernyshov (LW) | Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
From the standpoint of the Sharks, if Chernyshov can be assigned to the Cuda, what is the benefit to him playing in Saginaw? I could see the case for a prospect like Eklund that had some filling out to do, but Chernyshov’s measurables seem to indicate he would be capable of navigating the physicality of playing in the AHL.

Also, IMO, it’s not “gifting” an AHL spot to a prospect that has already played in the KHL. The AHL is a developmental league that exists, at least from the perspective of the NHL, as a way station for preparing players for the NHL. If there weren’t restrictions included in the various league transfer agreements we’d see a bunch more players assigned to the AHL earlier in their careers (Musty). Since Chernyshov is free of his contract and there is no transfer agreement with the KHL, If the org believes in McCarthy and its development staff wouldn’t they prefer to have Chernyshov in San Jose working with them for the whole year?
He didn’t exactly tear up the MHL last year. sharks probably want him to round out his offensive game. The AHL and KHL aren’t places for young prospects to work on their offense unless they’re a bonafide superstar.

Reactions: Napreemer

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
From the standpoint of the Sharks, if Chernyshov can be assigned to the Cuda, what is the benefit to him playing in Saginaw? I could see the case for a prospect like Eklund that had some filling out to do, but Chernyshov’s measurables seem to indicate he would be capable of navigating the physicality of playing in the AHL.

Also, IMO, it’s not “gifting” an AHL spot to a prospect that has already played in the KHL. The AHL is a developmental league that exists, at least from the perspective of the NHL, as a way station for preparing players for the NHL. If there weren’t restrictions included in the various league transfer agreements we’d see a bunch more players assigned to the AHL earlier in their careers (Musty). Since Chernyshov is free of his contract and there is no transfer agreement with the KHL, If the org believes in McCarthy and its development staff wouldn’t they prefer to have Chernyshov in San Jose working with them for the whole year?
IMO the benefit would be that the thing Chernyshov most could use work on—finishing—is something he’ll have a lot more opportunity to work on in the CHL than the AHL.

Chernyshov creates a ridiculous amount of scoring chances with his size, strength, hands, and ‘bull in a china shop’ desire to drive the net, but he doesn’t finish as many as I’d like to see him do.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If he's determined to leave Dynamo after his contract is over, there's no point for the club to give him lots of playing time. They're a competitive team, they're not quite interested in growing up a talent that will jump off next spring.

Dynamo will play him if he’s good enough to help the team. If not, he’ll likely get quality minutes in the VHL.
Dynamo isnt exactly SKA St. Petersburg (who are run by a vindictive asshole who buries players who intend to leave).

Dynamo’s assistant coach in charge of forwards is Slava Kozlov btw.

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco , CA

This is exactly what my thought process is, you phrased it much better lol

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah Halttunen had parts of his game he needed to round out so OHL was best for him. Chernyshov is well rounded played against men last year. I say bring him to the AHL and let him develop with the full support of the Sharks development team. This is one of the exact reasons why it is beneficial to have the Cuda share the same facilities.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The advantage would be that he would unquestionably be one of "the guys" on that team in Sagniaw. He'd almost certainly get top 6 minutes and prime scoring opportunities in which to work on his finishing with tons of PP time.

For the Cuda he'd probably be lucky to land on the 3rd line and would probably not be deployed in key offensive situations.

So yeah he'd have the advantage of working with the pro coaching staff, but he would also not get the kind of game reps to work on those skills. And if he were to go to the OHL it's highly likely that the Saginaw coaches will take notes from the Sharks people and ensure that Chernyshov gets the lesson plans that San Jose wants for him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Chernyshov has so many great pro habits already playing against men, hopefully he doesn’t lose them playing against kids again. If it weren’t for my (potentially irrational) fear of him getting strong-armed into signing, I’d honestly rather he play another KHL season.

Maybe Halttunen is the blueprint? One year CHL, one year AHL, then compete for the NHL seems reasonable for this kid.

Haven’t looked too closely at the CHL import draft order, but hopefully he lands somewhere good like Halttunen.
I thought he'd be AHL eligible, no? Or do we not want to risk stifling his development. I trust you know more about his readiness than I would.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I thought he'd be AHL eligible, no? Or do we not want to risk stifling his development. I trust you know more about his readiness than I would.
He is. I just don’t know if the AHL is the right place for him to be developing his career offensive game at this point. I would argue that the AHL might actually be better than the KHL these days.

Regardless, KHL, AHL, and CHL are all good development options for him. There isn’t one that I’d be concerned about.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The advantage would be that he would unquestionably be one of "the guys" on that team in Sagniaw. He'd almost certainly get top 6 minutes and prime scoring opportunities in which to work on his finishing with tons of PP time.

For the Cuda he'd probably be lucky to land on the 3rd line and would probably not be deployed in key offensive situations.

So yeah he'd have the advantage of working with the pro coaching staff, but he would also not get the kind of game reps to work on those skills. And if he were to go to the OHL it's highly likely that the Saginaw coaches will take notes from the Sharks people and ensure that Chernyshov gets the lesson plans that San Jose wants for him.

Huh, I get the point about being “the guy”. Perhaps I’m overestimating Chernyshov’s current capabilities. I’d have thought he’d have been highly likely to be getting top-6 minutes on the Cuda.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Huh, I get the point about being “the guy”. Perhaps I’m overestimating Chernyshov’s current capabilities. I’d have thought he’d have been highly likely to be getting top-6 minutes on the Cuda.
I think people really under estimate how big of a jump it is to play in the AHL. You can easily stunt a prospects development if you force them into that position before they are ready. Way more likely you hurt a prospect by rushing them up a level than it is to hurt them by having them play junior for one more year.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
One thing that was obvious from his interview is he has lots of English to learn if he wants to understand coaches, teammates and the like. Coming over to play in the OHL or AHL will let him do that.
Very good point!
I think OHL is a good place for that reason alone. Learn the language, feel the NA ice and next year AHL. We are in no rush with Chernyshov, I think he can be a player for the Sharks but one with patience.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
One thing that was obvious from his interview is he has lots of English to learn if he wants to understand coaches, teammates and the like. Coming over to play in the OHL or AHL will let him do that.

The CHL is usually pretty good for that. Lot of young Russians and Finns learn english in those leagues

Very good point!
I think OHL is a good place for that reason alone. Learn the language, feel the NA ice and next year AHL. We are in no rush with Chernyshov, I think he can be a player for the Sharks but one with patience.

Keep in mind, young players who go to North America experience a giant life transition at a crucial time in development. It can be overload when one should be focusing 100% on hockey.

Likewise how well would a typical American kid develop if dropped in the middle of, say, Yaroslavl at 19?
Transitioning is soooo much easier when your basic skill-set is already relatively developed and life doesn't get in the way of development.

Of course certain players have thrived under such conditions and every case is different. But, unless Chernyshov has hit a dead end in Dynamo, going a year early to play in AHL/CHL just seems like an unnecessary risk to take.
But whatever he does I hope he's getting good advice and I wish him well.

Last edited:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Keep in mind, young players who go to North America experience a giant life transition at a crucial time in development. It can be overload when one should be focusing 100% on hockey.

Likewise how well would a typical American kid develop if dropped in the middle of, say, Yaroslavl at 19?
Transitioning is soooo much easier when your basic skill-set is already relatively developed and life doesn't get in the way of development.

Of course certain players have thrived under such conditions and every case is different. But, unless Chernyshov has hit a dead end in Dynamo, going a year early to play in AHL/CHL just seems like an unnecessary risk to take.
Lots of politics and internal things at play in true KHL also. It’s possible he was pressured into signing a long term extension or wouldn’t be given any ice time. If he’s coming over I assume he and his agent think it’s the best path he has

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I think he’d be okay in the AHL with Mukhamadullin, Gushchin, Romanov and Guryev to help him adjust and be comfortable.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Unless you follow Saginaw it would be hard to tell but there’s a bit of a GoldStar-DanMilstein to Saginaw pipeline developing. Saginaw almost exclusively drafts his players in the import draft recently and has a ton of American and Canadian kids signed there as well. His agency is based in Ann Arbor less than 2 hours from Saginaw. Our OHL 1st rounder Dima Zhilkin is signed by him too.

I’m guessing this was cooked from the start like most import picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad