Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Hmmm, our D is about as good as it was at the start of last year, at least on paper.

The problem is that the team evidently still sees Myers as a puck-moving #4. To me that is worrying.

There is time during the season to make some moves, but also something of a logjam on the blueline, filled with very big logs.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I think they will look to see what D-Petey can do as a possible bottom pairing option.
Then Forbort will have needed to be a contract in the 1.15m range. I don’t understand how management does not emphasize skill and puck movers on the back end?

Especially when the Canucks system emphasizes point shots? What is Soucy with his 6pts, Forbort with his 4 and Desharnais with 11 gonna do?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I disagree. Rights would only pertain to Stamkos, Guentzel or maybe Reinhart, but I feel doing nothing would have been better than overpaying for DeBrusk. Heinen and/or Sherwood would have been fine additions away from the rest of them.

Limited space? We have Myers and Soucy, a shut down pairing, as our second pairing. We have plenty of space for better players then them, this is coming from someone that hasn't got any issues with our shut down pairing. We finally get out from under that Myers contract, and we gave the proceeds to Forbort and Desharnais. Forbort, what ever, he's a friend of Boeser, but Desharnais isn't an improvement over Friedman/Juulsen, and makes more than both of them combined.

Fair enough. We had little cap space and no indication whatsoever Carrier or Walker would have even considered us. Seems like your expectations were pretty high. Pretty hard to know what happened without being part of the management team. Doesn't seem like we missed on any great possibilities though. I really like the forward signings and Debrusk is far better than no one in my books. Sounds kind of like you would have preferred to take a step back this year and maybe next, but don't think that was ever an option for this group.

I agree on Desharnais, was never a fan but I'm willing to give this group some leeway. I'd imagine he'll be better than I think.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm feeling conflicted.

Clearly we could not get plan A done. Ok that's fine, shit happens.

But plan B is not exactly winning me over.

Well, what's done is done.

I actually really like what we did up front today. DeBrusk, Heinen and Sherwood are solid adds that make our forward group deeper and harder to play against.

I’m not seeing the big picture on D, though. Signing one of Forbort or Desharnais made sense - signing both of them, and potentially running a bottom four of Myers/Soucy, Forbort/Desharnais seems very risky and relying entirely on our top pair to move the puck.

Off season is still young, but I’m curious what the plan is for the blueline.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I actually really like what we did up front today. DeBrusk, Heinen and Sherwood are solid adds that make our forward group deeper and harder to play against.

I’m not seeing the big picture on D, though. Signing one of Forbort or Desharnais made sense - signing both of them, and potentially running a bottom four of Myers/Soucy, Forbort/Desharnais seems very risky and relying entirely on our top pair to move the puck.

And the alternative for the defence of splitting up Hughes and Hronek still has at least one of Desharnais and Forbort playing way too much.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start the season with this roster, though. They should feel confident in their ability to make in-season trades and be opportunistic.

Reactions: Peen

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I like the forwards, but they needed more of a goal scorer(Guentzal) than DeBrusk. Obviously, they didn't really have a shot. However, they can acquire one at the deadline.

The defense signings weren't that good. The bottom four is bad. Can Myers play like he did? Can Soucy stay healthy? What happens if Hughes or Hronek gets injured? Puck mobility on the bottom is bad.

Still, 3 months until the season starts. They did leave cap space for potential moves. I hope they upgrade the defense. The problem with trading for guys though is you lose assets.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Bottom 4 of our defense is giving me Dimbo vibes.

Here's hope that I'm overreacting.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I don't know the league nearly well enough to offer specific suggestions, but I wish they'd targeted one rhd who they thought might be a good stylistic fit with Hughes, whether it was a reclamation project, or someone buried down the depth chart on a good team, or just someone who they thought might respond better to Gonchar/Foote than the situation in which he'd found himself.

As it stands, it feels like they're locked in to Hughes/Hronek, with, as you point out, puck-moving challenges on the bottom two pairs.

Maybe they'll try once again to force McWard into that top pairing spot in pre-season. I don't look forward to it.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I haven’t read through this whole thread, but is anyone else getting the feeling that either Garland or Hoglander will be dealt, preferably for defense, before the offseason is over?
I think Hoglander is on the block for sure. I love him but can he replicate his goal total again next year? Maybe not. Allvin might want to cash out and sell high. He's a young asset on a cheap contract that an acquiring team will still retain control of next summer, that's valuable. With Boeser needing an extension they may feel like extending both him and Hoglander is too pricey with OEL's buyout penalty increasing so I think Hog is definitely in play.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Unless my math is mistaken(my cap skill suck)... if we send down PDG, Juulsen, and Patera + Poolman LTIR we would have ~4.2 million in cap space.

That would leave us with 13 forwards (Aman being our spare) and 7 defensemen(Friedman being the spare).

If the Canucks did decide to send down Desharnais for the purpose of trading for someone, he would take 1.1 million off the books, leaving us with 5.3 million. Honestly if they wanted to they could create 6 million + worth of cap space.

PA is not done yet, this roster has tons of flexibility. Deshernais was targeted because he fills a need on the bottom pairing, but he gives us tons of flexibility if we decide to improve the team via trade by sending him down.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanucksMJL

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I like the forward moves a lot in the near term. The term for Debrusk could be rough though as his game is speed based. Hopefully Debrusk and Pettersson find some chemistry and elevate each other's games.

On D, I like the Desharnais add to replace Cole. Bit expensive but works as a #6. Zadorov to Forbort is a big downgrade on the third pair, but if they're only playing 12-15 minutes a night and PK'ing, then it can work out. We already have two PP QBs, so we didn't need another puck mover necessarily. We're in a tough spot with the OEL cap penalties. Basically prevents us from having a #3 Dman salary.

Reactions: Nick Lang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad