Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
My take on the moves

I think they really wanted to walk away with Guentzel and Zadorov but once the negotiiations fell apart with Z and TB went ballistic with that kind of financial package we had to go to plan B

Always felt it was Debrusk (he is stylistically a fit for what our top skilled players could use and he wanted to come west) The contract was 2 yrs too long but it kept the AAV from becoming stupid and for 4 to 5 yrs he should be able to be a solid compliment that fits 4-5yr window vs a Toffoli or some of the older available soft skill that we may have in Lekkerimaki as soon as next year or the next.

It's the price ot UFA shopping. Rarely comes without costing assets if you want the big names in AAV or term that might have to be bought out or traded with picks.

Heinen Forbort Sherwood are good depth signings to keep things competitive. Still believe they will find a D that will fall out after teams realize they need to adjust to some of the spending they just did.

To start were not much different than the team that took off to 1st place and i will argue because i like Debrusk that he will be better than many of you think and is a huge upgrade on Mikhayev who was just awful in a top9 capacity with the horrendous hands and soft play that materialized. He does a fair amount of play driving and while he's certainly not as talented as Miller he can add some of the same dimensions in skating and puck protection and shooting and i'm really hoping the Horvat bumper role

Debrusk >> Mikhayev
Heinen for Kuzmenko ??
Sherwood = Lafferty
Forbort < Cole
Silovs for DeSmith ??

Have to really hope Lekkerimaki Willander Raty Pod etc can add some punch to reduce the in season additions necessity

Reactions: Jovofan

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
I’m n
Not on paper though - last year they had Mikheyev who still looked like a similar player to DeBrusk and Kuzmenko who was looking like a top line player. That obviously didn’t work out as intended. There is a bit more depth this year though.
I’m not sure the Mikheyev debrusk comparison are fair

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
As far as the coaching staff was concerned - because they absolutely don’t want guys playing their off-side - it was a choice between Soucy and Zads.

They chose Soucy.

The Zads era is over and we’re moving on.
So they kept the 40 game guy?
Why is it some people think of Zadorov as a #5 or 6 dman?
They jump up and down about "Joshua's big improvement" at age 27 yrs but a 29 yr old dman in a position much harder to learn can't improve?
Take a look of the ranking in the real season. Zad had more impact than Hughes and Hronek combined.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
So they kept the 40 game guy?
Why is it some people think of Zadorov as a #5 or 6 dman?
They jump up and down about "Joshua's big improvement" at age 27 yrs but a 29 yr old dman in a position much harder to learn can't improve?
Take a look of the ranking in the real season. Zad had more impact than Hughes and Hronek combined.
Zadorov didn’t want to play here the daylight between the two proposals was small.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Need a good dependable 2nd/3rd pairing RHD. Replaced Cole with Forbort but big hole with Zadorov leaving that hasn’t been filled. We only have 3.7M left, hopefully we land someone good here.

Reactions: dez

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Considering what other teams did Nucks had an okay day. Still need a scorer on the wings but that could be had at the deadline. Need a top 4 dman though. Defense took too much of a hit. Relying on Myers in the top 4 isn't smart and if Soucy can't stay healthy, it gets very weak.
Simply put, we needed a top 4 D and a legit top 6 winger.

We got a #7/8 D, two bottom 6 forwards and a middle 6 forward.

Just not good enough and now you are left praying Debrusk takes a massive leap or someone like Lekk comes into camp and turns into a superstar.

Likewise, the blueline situation is sad as you say. Myers is a wildcard. Soucy is injury prone. Juulsen will be a full time bottom pairing defensman. Yuck.

Forbort is absolute trash and I would expect to be buried in Abbotsford after camp. Was trash in LA and Calgary and even looked bad in Boston's system.

Reactions: canucksfan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Need a good dependable 2nd/3rd pairing RHD. Replaced Cole with Forbort but big hole with Zadorov leaving that hasn’t been filled. We only have 3.7M left, hopefully we land someone good here.

The right-side is effectively the same as last year except you were mainly playing Cole on his off-side and subbing in Juulsen, but yes due to the downgrade from Zadorov to Frogurt, we should bolster down the right with another NHL guy.

The top two pairings are basically what we were running in the playoffs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Our cap space is gold right now should hold it and wait for a really good short term contract that might spill.

Bruins defense is unreal Swayman has to be favourite for Vezina

Reactions: arttk

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
Simply put, we needed a top 4 D and a legit top 6 winger.

We got a #7/8 D, two bottom 6 forwards and a middle 6 forward.

Just not good enough and now you are left praying Debrusk takes a massive leap or someone like Lekk comes into camp and turns into a superstar.

Likewise, the blueline situation is sad as you say. Myers is a wildcard. Soucy is injury prone. Juulsen will be a full time bottom pairing defensman. Yuck.
I agree with all this. Management gave up assets to get worse today than we were last month. I was skeptical of this group when they came in. Overall they've proved me wrong. But they dropped the ball big time today.

It's very clear they were hoping for JG without a backup plan.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I am fine with the forward situation no team or very few are stacked with all stars on the top two lines or else there depth is questionable. No reason Joshua, garland, or hoglander can't fill in second line minutes, you have guys like heinen now who can fill in the 3rd line.

You do need another solid D though.

Reactions: bh53

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
One thing that I just realized is that the Heinen and Sherwood signings being for 2 years each means they're able to navigate the cap penalty years with some effective players on cheaper contracts. These deals get us through both years of the Mik retention plus one year of the big OEL penalty.

Also, with Suter's contract expiring next summer he can potentially be replaced by somebody from Abbotsford on a cheaper contract. When you factor in that plus the cap increase next summer you could be looking at the money required to re-up Boeser.

Reactions: Bgav

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I agree with all this. Management gave up assets to get worse today than we were last month. I was skeptical of this group when they came in. Overall they've proved me wrong. But they dropped the ball big time today.

It's very clear they were hoping for JG without a backup plan.
What would you have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad