Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I was thinking last night that if Leonard didn't want to play for the Caps then he probably wouldn't be at their dev camp (considering he has to pay his own way to attend.)

Editing to add: Leonard's "poise" at the camp may also be influenced just by the fact that this is his second year and he's comfortable, a 'veteran' of these.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Pay his own way? I’ve never heard of this

NCAA prospects or current players may attend NHL summer development camps, or prospect camps, but must pay their own way (transportation, lodging, food, etc.) and current players may not miss class to do so.

There is an opportunity, similar to the 48-hour rule (see above), to have an NHL team pay a portion of a player's stay at development camp on a one-time-per-team basis. The 48-hour period begins when you arrive at the team's facility and ends exactly 48 hours later. While in attendance the team can supply you with expenses that include travel, hotel, food, equipment, and all costs associated with practice and off-ice training. A player would have to cover all costs after that 48-hour period, including return transportation home.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Hopefully this quells the concerns of some of our more anxiety riddled posters. I can't stomach more "Oh no, Ryan doesn't like us!!" nonsense.
I think the main concern was that if WSH had a bad offseason/sold off several valuable pieces and was shite all thru the 2024-25 season
that it'd be reasonable for Leonard to question the direction the org was going and reconsider

I think by 12:01pm on FA day all those concerns were quashed

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
I think the main concern was that if WSH had a bad offseason/sold off several valuable pieces and was shite all thru the 2024-25 season
that it'd be reasonable for Leonard to question the direction the org was going and reconsider

I think by 12:01pm on FA day all those concerns were quashed
A plausible scenario for sure. . . but it’s plausibility doesn’t mean it wasn’t something y’all were making up in your own heads lol.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This should close the book on any debate around Lenny and his desire to be on the Caps. Dude has a plan, listens to his advisors, and he was tempted. Struggled with the decision, but he stuck with his plan, and BMac was fine with it. He watched the Caps vs Flyers clinching game closely.

He'll be Cap next year (2025)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
“I talked to a lot of people about this. College is the best time of your life. A lot of people that go one and done, 10 years down the road say they regret it. After I made my initial statement of saying I was going to stay, I met Kevin Hayes before I went to Men’s Worlds, and he told me right away, he goes, ‘Dude, if I was in your position, I would stay here as long as you can.’ That kind of went a long way.”
Hayes spent four years in the NCAA with BC before becoming a coveted college free agent, signing with the New York Rangers. In doing so, he spurned the Chicago Blackhawks who had drafted him in the first round of the 2010 NHL Draft.
The former NHL All-Star was in the news last season when it was suggested that he was the reason Boston College’s Cutter Gauthier refused to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers and ended up being traded to the Anaheim Ducks. Hayes refutes that claim and Leonard, unlike Gauthier, doesn’t sound like he has any intention of playing for any other NHL team than the one that drafted him.

“It’s a winning culture here, and that’s obviously what you want to be a part of,” Leonard said. “You saw the other day with free agency. They’re looking for top-end guys that can help win championships, and that’s what I’m here to try to do at some point.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Kevin Hayes goes to the Penguins and advises Leonard to stay in school.

New most hated NHLer?
No, I’m myself,” Leonard said. “He’s him. You want the best for him, and it’s not about individuals. It’s about the team, and I want to be a part of the team that wins Boston College another National Championship.

“I talked to a lot of people about this. College is the best time of your life. A lot of people that go one and done, 10 years down the road say they regret it. After I made my initial statement of saying I was going to stay, I met Kevin Hayes before I went to Men’s Worlds, and he told me right away, he goes, ‘Dude, if I was in your position, I would stay here as long as you can.’ That kind of went a long way.”

Hayes spent four years in the NCAA with BC before becoming a coveted college free agent, signing with the New York Rangers. In doing so, he spurned the Chicago Blackhawks who had drafted him in the first round of the 2010 NHL Draft.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Chicago holds his rights it looks like. Excellent org. to join.
Was listening to Sirius XM NHL Network a few weeks prior to the draft and they were discussing mid to late round draft picks that might fly under the radar and the Hockey draft guru they were discussing this with mentioned three specific players and one of them was Satan. I remember the guy saying that Satan was a big guy and rough around the edges but that he would be coming to the NA/USHL for the upcoming season and he thought that that would benefit his development. The other two that he mentioned in all honesty I can't remember their names but they were both Eastern European players, one being Russian and as he noted because of the geo-political situation there was limited scouting and videos of the two and he was just basing his assessment of them on what he read (statistics) of their performance in the leagues that they were playing in.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Satan is a very interesting prospect. Does he have ties with the Bondra family?
I'm sure, at least indirectly. There aren't THAT many Slovakian players that make the NHL.

(In 2009-10, Bondra was GM of the Slovak Olympic and World Championship teams. Satan Sr was on both those teams. And then again for the 2010-11 WC team. Bondra is 7 years older.)

Bonzai's two kids that play(ed) are at least 9 years older than Satan Jr so they wouldn't have been teammates anywhere.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Glad we’re all in agreement that Leonard being mentored on career advice by Kevin (not PS) Hayes is a very bad thing….

Let’s hope he’s got some other arrows in the quiver….

Damn I wish they had won it this year…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad