Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
We need to identify wingers that will fit with EP. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a big ticket signing. A younger Toffoli is what we need. Up to pro scouting to identify and sign as FA or by trade.

Reactions: arttk

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Stamkos makes the most sense. Won Cups, excellent goal scorer and great on the PP, and he's a right shot as well who is good at face offs and can play center if needed or due to injury. Yeah he's older but if I'm handing out $6 million then I'm paying a guy who has done it all and fans will buy tickets to watch him play and buy his jersey. Toffoli doesn't do any of that and Marchessault is a thin skinned baby as his social media rants have shown. Not a good leader.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
This years free agency class has got stale pretty quickly. I wouldn't be spending over 6M a season on anyone who is left on the market for forwards.

Quite a few teams have cap space they will throw at many of these forwards. Might leave room for a cap dump trade later.

Reactions: lawrence

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm no GM expert, but what's the play if everyone else is willing to overpay and give bad lengthy contracts for big name players who will make a significant impact in the short term. While Vancouver has nothing but to spend on mid guys that won't really move the needle in making this team better than last season?

Unfortunately we're just in a very awkward roster and cap situation.

One big name will help but probably won't put us over the top and it'll cost us valuable depth. Them probably wanting 10% more to come here versus places like Tampa or Florida doesn't help, either.

Our sweet spot will be in a couple years when (hopefully) we have prospects making an impact on their ELCS. That will be the time to go all in. Until then it's about getting better incrementally and setting up the cap so that you can pull the trigger when the time is right.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Unfortunately we're just in a very awkward roster and cap situation.

One big name will help but probably won't put us over the top and it'll cost us valuable depth. Them probably wanting 10% more to come here versus places like Tampa or Florida doesn't help, either.

Our sweet spot will be in a couple years when (hopefully) we have prospects making an impact on their ELCS. That will be the time to go all in. Until then it's about getting better incrementally and setting up the cap so that you can pull the trigger when the time is right.
They might need to make a few selections in the first or second round then. Klimovich, Lekkerimaki and Willander. That's it since Podkolzin and Hoglander for first and second round picks. That really does need to change. Podz and Hogz were drafted 6 years ago.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
They might need to make a few selections in the first or second round then. Klimovich, Lekkerimaki and Willander. That's it since Podkolzin and Hoglander for first and second round picks. That really does need to change. Podz and Hogz were drafted 6 years ago.

D Petey, Bains, Raty, a few other guys down the chart.

It's possible most of them flame out or are just depth pieces, but you'd think at least one of these guys will be able to carve out a valuable depth role on the cheap while Lekk and Will play higher in the lineup as projected.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
D Petey, Bains, Raty, a few other guys down the chart.

It's possible most of them flame out or are just depth pieces, but you'd think at least one of these guys will be able to carve out a valuable depth role on the cheap while Lekk and Will play higher in the lineup as projected.
The last few years are not enough for success.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

tax shenanigans

taxmagic.png

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
A collection of thoughts and predictions as NHL signing season kicks off
elliotte doesnt predict us signing anyone on the list, utah favoured for cole, boston favoured for zadorov/lindholm.

this is good imo.
I'm obviously not in a position to question Friedman's predictions, but Matt Roy to Washington doesn't add up to me. They have 6.3M in LTIR cap space with only 10 forwards signed, as well as 6 D signed making 2M+ already (4 are RDs)

Unless he's hinting at a D trade incoming (Jensen or Trevor van Riemsdyk?)

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Apparently, they can't even sign their own UFAs. So much for the hype that players are flocking to the Canucks because of the new regime and coaches and the recent success of the team.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Apparently, they can't even sign their own UFAs. So much for the hype that players are flocking to the Canucks because of the new regime and coaches and the recent success of the team.

In the case of Lindholm and Zadorov, pretty sure it has more to do with them being overpaid elsewhere.

As for Cole, I think it's clear he wasn't a priority given his age (and probably his performance vs EDM).

That said, I don't think Vancouver is considered a premium destination anymore. Even when it was during the Gillis era, it seemed like it was mostly for BC Boys.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They probably really thought jake was a done deal here and got caught off guard with tampa.

Worked by his agent

lawrence

May 19, 2012
personally I think 9 million is too much for Guentzel. Glad that’s out of the ways good for him too. I can’t imagine many American players wanting Vancouver over a place like Tampa. Easy choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad