Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

rea

Feb 8, 2011
lol at anyone posting you didn’t want Guentzel or Reinhart.

f*** off.

Would have creamed your pants and screamed to the high heavens if either signed for Van.

And there is no way mgmt can go into next season without giving EP atleast one legit Top 6 winger.

Mgmt has their work cut out for them and so far it’s not looking good.
Nope, I've been pretty vocal about not tying 9+mil up into a player longterm that is supposed to complement our 11m player. I think a player that's 2/3 that on a shorter term is more than sufficient. Cuz again, if you need a 9.5m player to get Ur 11+m franchise c going, u already f***ed up w the center.

I have more faith in ep that so long as he gets good enough help, he will be fine. I mean he almost got 90 pts this yr w the ghost of Esa tikkanen and hoglander as his primary wingers, and for most that was a fail lol.

It's just this market needs more more more everywhere all the time or the attn span is what have you done for me lately

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Nope, I've been pretty vocal about not tying 9+mil up into a player longterm that is supposed to complement our 11m player. I think a player that's 2/3 that on a shorter term is more than sufficient. Cuz again, if you need a 9.5m player to get Ur 11+m franchise c going, u already f***ed up w the center.

I have more faith in ep that so long as he gets good enough help, he will be fine. I mean he almost got 90 pts this yr w the ghost of Esa tikkanen and hoglander as his primary wingers, and for most that was a fail lol.

It's just this market needs more more more everywhere all the time or the attn span is what have you done for me lately

The fail wasn't that he got 90 pts. It was that 63 of them were in the first 41 games, then he completely dried up, and it continued that into the playoffs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If reports are accurate, some of these teams are offering eight year deals to players pushing 30 or over it. Ridiculous. Some of these contracts won't be done until the player is 40.

I guess the reasoning is that by time they're 36-37, players like Tanev, Guentzel and Reinhardt can just be bought out if they can't cut it. But I really believe the Canucks should steer clear of these inflated deals.

Once the frenzy dies down tomorrow, and teams are capped out, there's bound to be some guys still unsigned on the UFA bargain bin.

I think Allvin will be treading very carefully tomorrow.

Reactions: bossram

rea

Feb 8, 2011
The fail wasn't that he got 90 pts. It was that 63 of them were in the first 41 games, then he completely dried up, and it continued that into the playoffs.
Such is life, point being was he got what he got with marginal wingers, he doesn't, or shouldn't at least, need a 9m+ winger to somehow make him better

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If reports are accurate, some of these teams are offering eight year deals to players pushing 30 or over it. Ridiculous. Some of these contracts won't be done until the player is 40.

I guess the reasoning is that by time they're 36-37, players like Tanev, Guentzel and Reinhardt can just be bought out if they can't cut it. But I really believe the Canucks should steer clear of these inflated deals.

Once the frenzy dies down tomorrow, and teams are capped out, there's bound to be some guys still unsigned on the UFA bargain bin.

More like 7-8 year contracts are rarely the signing GM’s problem.

Reactions: Red

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
My guess is they strike out on the top free agents and end up having to make a trade for a winger.
Signing predictions (I hope I'm wrong):

Ian Cole 1 x $2.75
Ilya Lyubushkin 1 x $2.75
Arturs Silovs 2 x $1.1
Casey DeSmith 1 x $1.5
Vinnie Hinostroza 1 x $0.775

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Marchessault would be my main target. Instantly makes up for losing out on Guentzel for the most part, but I can’t really see him coming to Vancouver

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Just woke up in Ireland to two kicks on the proverbial notes. Overall not too surprising, but the hope, and probably more importantly, team need was there.

I really hope we don’t sign any of the tier two free agents to big contracts. None of them excite me and I think the value propositions are poor. I don’t even want Marchesault, both because I hate his personality, but also, he’s too old to give out a big contract too and clearly Vegas isn’t willing to which suggests they doubt the amount of gas left in his tank.

All along I’ve said I thought the Canucks would come into next season worse than they left last season and that looks to be correct.

I think our best outcome here is to find some C and D tier free agents and hope they can provide B and C value.

Reactions: bossram

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
anthony duclair speedy can score., marchy would be nice debrusk. anyways goodnight everyone. cya tmr these boards hopefully dont crash. maybe all canucks signees should be sticked and posted here instead of making a seperate thread moderators?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Marchessault would be my main target. Instantly makes up for losing out on Guentzel for the most part, but I can’t really see him coming to Vancouver
Marhessault is going to be 34 this year and just scored 69 points in 82 games.

He’s going to get the bag and I don’t want to be the team handing it out.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Definitely disappointing how the Vancouver Canucks went from landing Guentzal to Carolina trading him & he signs in Tampa over the weekend stings a little bit.

I think if Winnipeg & Vancouver try to work out a trade the main player that might be interesting would be McGroarty but doubtful the Vancouver Canucks have the assets to land him (Höglander + is the starting point).

As for dmen I wouldn't mind taking a swing on Hakanpaa as a cheap Z replacement. I feel like he fits in as a Tocchet style dman

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

The right approach. With the impact players (Guentzel and Reinhart) off the board, the correct strategy is to let other teams blow their loads on mid UFAs that will have zero chance of living up to their contracts. Guys like Stephenson, Toffoli, Teravainen, Stamkos, Duclair, etc, very happy to let other clubs use the cap space on them.

I would consider some guys like Heinen, Amadio, and Carrier at sub-$3M deals, but wouldn't be in the market for anyone above that on Day 1. Dillon for the 3rd pair. I would actually quite like Schmidt on the 3rd pair for cheap as well, but he won't be signing here.

Allvin can find some other useful UFAs around the edges. Save some dry powder for later in the offseason, in the event that a different impact player shakes loose.

Reactions: arttk

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think a good amount of players will have handshake agreements already. Pesce is going to NJ. Haven’t heard much from Montour or Skjei, but those two will price themselves out of our range.

Montour’s AFP prediction is 7.7x6. Skjei is 7.5x5.

Montour kinda needs a PP1 role to get the most out of him as well.
Montour is awful. Mind bendingly poor hockey IQ, horrible decisions on the retrievals, and really can't "move the puck". He collects points by being the least important guy on the 1PP and at ES just jumps into the rush at every opportunity. His one season getting lucky doing this makes people think he's good.

I will laugh at the team that signs him to a big contract.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Montour is awful. Mind bendingly poor hockey IQ, horrible decisions on the retrievals, and really can't "move the puck". He collects points by being the least important guy on the 1PP and at ES just jumps into the rush at every opportunity. His one season getting lucky doing this makes people think he's good.

I will laugh at the team that signs him to a big contract.
He’s also pretty old.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I'm no GM expert, but what's the play if everyone else is willing to overpay and give bad lengthy contracts for big name players who will make a significant impact in the short term. While Vancouver has nothing but to spend on mid guys that won't really move the needle in making this team better than last season?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I'm no GM expert, but what's the play if everyone else is willing to overpay and give bad lengthy contracts for big name players who will make a significant impact in the short term. While Vancouver has nothing but to spend on mid guys that won't really move the needle in making this team better than last season?
This was always going to be the difficulty with retooling without much in the way of futures.

The reality is that the Canucks need to hit some home runs with their pro scouting. It’s going to be very difficult to do but it’s possible. The one thing they have going for them is that if Pettersson plays like the player he can be, then they should, theoretically, have a bit of an easier time finding winger(s) for him.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Do you guys ever just curl up into a fetal position and think about Jake Guentzel with tears in your eyes?

Cause I surely dont... 😭😭

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad