Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They don't even need to run a minimum roster, they just need to send two of PDG, Aman, Friedman, Juulsen down, as well as Patera once Silovs contract is finalized. I'd expect PDG and Friedman to be on waivers relatively quickly. I suppose if they want to add a $4M+ player and dip into LTIR they could send them all down, but I don't view that as particularly likely.

Conversely, our cap space is literally the predicted difference between Silovs and Patera's salaries, so they could carry them all, remain out of LTIR and just carry one goalie. As long as Silovs makes ~$1M AAV. I think they'll have issues with roster limit, though, so probably one guy will get waived. Probably Friedman.

I suspect all that will happen is sign Silovs, waive Friedman, and go into cap with the current roster.
I'm on my phone but can't we just run a 20-21 player roster and not use LTIR and accrue a significant amount of cap space by the deadline?

Ideally we move the Poolman deal to a team already in LTIR and if it requires a sweetener than so be it. But we shouldnt be worried about rolling with minimums with Abby close by and losing any of Amen PDG NJ and MF. Plus Raty McWard Sasson and Bains are still waiver exempt No?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm on my phone but can't we just run a 20-21 player roster and not use LTIR and accrue a significant amount of cap space by the deadline?

Ideally we move the Poolman deal to a team already in LTIR and if it requires a sweetener than so be it. But we shouldnt be worried about rolling with minimums with Abby close by and losing any of Amen PDG NJ and MF. Plus Raty McWard Sasson and Bains are still waiver exempt No?
Can you? Yes. but, only for home games. Van and Abby do have a lot of overlap when both teams are home. You can't do this on the road as the time it takes to get someone from wherever the Abby Canucks are to wherever the Canucks are, the player may not make it there in time. And you don't want to dress 19 players just to save cap room.

Would be a pain to those couple of players to not be settled in either city. Say it's Friedman and PDG who are the 2 guys who end up yo yo'ing up and down the whole season. Need a place in Abby and another place in Van or have to room with someone when they get called up.

Kids should stay in 1 place. Not go up and down the whole season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You could conceivably have 7 D and if someone gets hurt on the road just put in Friedman at forward for a few games throughout the first few months. Agree about the kids was more thinking along the lines of avoiding losing players to waivers IF it's a concern.

I would be open to using Suter to get rid of Poolman if Raty looks like he could offer a comparable at C/LW which I think he could

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
I've debated the same too in order to accrue more cap space. Sometimes you see players papered up and down but don't travel back to the AHL team.

Some cons I could think of:
- Allow star players to take maintenance days while keeping enough bodies around for practices.
- Players stay more "ready" to jump in on short notice if there's a late illness, and they're up to speed on coaching guidance for things like PK, forecheck, matchups, etc.
- Extra travel back and forth causes players to be less rested when it's their turn to draw into the lineup.
- Less attractive for players to sign two-way deals in Vancouver if half of the time they're earning AHL wages.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Defensive trade targets this season from Drance today:

Rasmus Andersson
MacKenzie Weegar
Adam Larsson
Neal Pionk
Colton Parayko

With Hronek, Myers and Desharnais I think the right side is sorta set tbh. Not a group I love but it is what it is, all three were just signed so I doubt they’ll be traded. Focus should be on the LD spot currently occupied by Forbort imo.

Reactions: Lat and kanucks25

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
With Hronek, Myers and Desharnais I think the right side is sorta set tbh. Not a group I love but it is what it is, all three were just signed so I doubt they’ll be traded. Focus should be on the LD spot currently occupied by Forbort imo.
I agree, they also seem to really like Juulsen and Willander is hopefully not far away.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The thing about Rasmus Andersson, is that he's significantly better than Hronek. So that'd be a f***in' thing to pull off. I doubt we have anything like the assets to do it. But i'd throw all of everything at it if possible. That contract with a couple years remaining at bargain dollars is sooooooooooo valuable.
You really think so? I dont think there is much if any gap between the 2 and last year Hronek was the better player

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You really think so? I dont think there is much if any gap between the 2 and last year Hronek was the better player

Our fans have a sour taste in their mouth on the way Hronek played to end the season as well as the playoffs. Personally I think he was injured but in any event I think we will be reminded of how good he is next year- he is getting brutally under-rated.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the 'send players down on off days plan' sounds good in theory but there's three significant problems:

one, you can't practically run a 20 man roster and it's really hard to run even a 21 man roster (you usually want at least one spare forward and one spare dman in case of injuries in warm up or flu or whatever). once you have someone injured you are in even worse shape as you have to replace them without being able to LTIR them or send them down. for all practical purposes the minimum roster size you can run during the season is at least 22 players and more like 23 or 24 once you start using IR

two, the canucks would have to waive between 2 to 4 of their roster players (they currently have 25 if you include poolman and friedman) and poolman can't be waived as long as he is injured. that means friedman, pdg, aman and podkolzin probably. if any of them are claimed the next players up from the farm are bains, karlsson and mcward (probably, could be woo or wolanin or even pettersson). karlsson is only a partial solution as he is also subject to waivers. if you're willing to waive podkolzin then it's probably better to offer him as incentive to take on the poolman contract and clear 2.5m cap space immediately

three, it doesn't even accomplish much. if you assume they can run with an average roster size of 22 (sending two players down about 50% of the season -- unrealistic but pretend it's doable) and they sign silovs to the minimum they'll have about 1m in space they can accrue

i don't think the trade deadline has been announced yet but it's usually about 80% of the way into the season. this means they'll "bank" 800k (1m under times 80% of the season) to spend after the trade deadline. you get to multiply that by 5 (because you only need to pay 1/5th of the contract of any acquired players) so they'll have effectively 4m in cap space at the deadline** if and only if everything goes perfectly. if they can only run with a slimmed down roster 33% of the time instead of 50% of the time that drops to about 600k in "banked" cap space and 3m in effective cap space at the deadline. for comparison, ltiring poolman gets you 2.75m in cap space right now (assuming you do some roster deadline shenanigans)

** you can also use ltir at the deadline to add money but because of the way ltir works you can't combine it with the accrued cap space. you have to spend as much of it as possible before putting poolman on ltir or you lose the benefit. that means you can add a 4m player and a 2.5m player but not a 6.5m player

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Our fans have a sour taste in their mouth on the way Hronek played to end the season as well as the playoffs. Personally I think he was injured but in any event I think we will be reminded of how good he is next year- he is getting brutally under-rated.
i mean i have some doubts and criticisms also given his pay now and last years 2nd half but he's certainly within the top 20-30 RD in the NHL. Andersson is in that tier

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@credulous, I wonder if the would instead lean into the LTIR for the season. Trade for Ryan Johansen (1y/4m) because the Flyers want to get under. Obviously this would be contingent on making a trade now since they need to maximize that space at the start of the season.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
@credulous, I wonder if the would instead lean into the LTIR for the season. Trade for Ryan Johansen (1y/4m) because the Flyers want to get under. Obviously this would be contingent on making a trade now since they need to maximize that space at the start of the season.

maybe. it's tricky to project because the only teams likely to use LTIR are philly, vegas and washington and maybe edmonton. two of those (vegas and edmonton) are unlikely to help vancouver out and washington doesn't really have anything they'd likely give up. maybe tvr? philly has johansen, laughton, frost and seeler maybe but i think vancouver would have to add

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
maybe. it's tricky to project because the only teams likely to use LTIR are philly, vegas and washington and maybe edmonton. two of those (vegas and edmonton) are unlikely to help vancouver out and washington doesn't really have anything they'd likely give up. maybe tvr? philly has johansen, laughton, frost and seeler maybe but i think vancouver would have to add

It really only works with Johansen since he’s told the Flyers he won’t be able to play this season, which is why they bought him out. Canucks make a separate trade, or it’s a bigger trade or whatever, to add someone else to the roster. Canucks increase their LTIR pool, and another player to get as close to the limit as possible, and Flyers get out of LTIR.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
First point. I'm not sure which player(s) you are referring to? Very few players Benning acquired are "good players for their cap hit". Maybe Motte? But he does have a defined role. Vrbata? He also has a defined role. Can't really think of any other "good players for their cap hit".

Second point. Chicago was so desperate they traded us a pick for a pending UFA Beauvillier, who carried a $4m cap hit and somehow managed only 2 goals in 22 games with us prior to the trade. SJ's top goal scorer and top point getter on their starting lineup are both 32 years old. I'm sure either one of them will trade a 3rd or something for Hog next summer, and those are just the first 2 teams that popped into my head. Washington, Montreal, Boston, etc can all use a 24 year old that can score 15-20 goals from their bottom 6, just quickly glancing at their roster on Dailyfaceoff.com right now. And what is his trade value right now "at his peak" anyways? I read in the previous pages that we might get a 2nd for him, so do we really lose much value waiting 1 year? Most people want to include him as a piece for an upgrade, but we already established that for this season, we can't really get a better "bang for bucks" player. Might as well just use him as a self-rental and reassess next summer.

As for future roster construction, I think maybe you guys are much more optimistic about our prospects than I am. I don't see any of Pod, Bains, Sasson, Raty, etc ever scoring 20 even strength goals from 4th line deployments and PP2 time. I don't even see any of them being NHL regular at this point, although I sure hope they prove me wrong! Aside from Lekk, we don't really have any young, offensive players coming up. I don't think we can risk losing the only proven one we have, at least not until we absolutely have to.

Haha, didn't mean to mislead you and insinuate Benning did "good" things. :laugh: Maybe I should have said "not bad cap hit". When I said that I was kind of referring specifically to Pearson, who I thought was a bad decision. Everyone who I discussed it with always counter-argued that his contract was great for what he delivered. For me that simply didn't matter though when what we really needed was a winger for Bo. We already had tonnes of guys like Motte, Podkolzin, Highmore, Dickinson, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Garland all capable of playing a third line role, and all sans Garland making low(ish) salaries. That's where guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin should be getting opportunities. Add Bailey, Chiasson, Richardson, Lammikko, Dries, Dowling, Lockwood, and Petan. That's a big collection of shite even though you could say none are really a bad contract. That was kind of the point, you shouldn't keep a player (Pearson) simply because they are a good value. They have to fit your roster, and currently it looks like Joshua and Garland are playing where Hoglander would be best suited to develop. ** Sorry, that was long winded. **

As far as the contract people are not worried about his $1.1 mil this season. They are worried about his next contract where he could make anywhere from $2.3 - $4.5 (I'm just guessing) through arbitration, depending on his season. That is what will scare teams off next off-season (the argument people are making), similar to Hronek this year where it was rumored we'd get way less in return if we had put him up for sale. We probably can't afford him at any price he's going to command. Beauvillier was expiring and Chicago desperately needed some bodies so a completely different situation. A second compared to a fourth would be considerable in any case. Also a trade in-season could bring in a far better pro-rated cap hit player. I really don't know though and I have no problem keeping him either at a cheap rate.

All fair points. Don't lump me in with those that are down on him though. I don't see those prospects you mentioned as doing much of anything either. I think Hoglander had a fantastic year ... and I thought his fourth line contributions were a huge part of our success. I would rather dump Podkolzin or PDG, if we're just getting rid of a player for this season. I would only trade Hoglander for something decent, or if they simply don't plan on retaining him.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwichbird2023

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
It really only works with Johansen since he’s told the Flyers he won’t be able to play this season, which is why they bought him out. Canucks make a separate trade, or it’s a bigger trade or whatever, to add someone else to the roster. Canucks increase their LTIR pool, and another player to get as close to the limit as possible, and Flyers get out of LTIR.
Briere has been pretty clear on not wanting to operate in LTIR, and there isn't any way Johansen will play in the AHL, so they'll need to do something to move that contract.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
All this talk about the cap rising in the coming years, no one has priced in the coming Pandemic 2: Bird Flu Boogaloo

Reactions: jd22

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Just saw that Draisaitl proposed to Ontario born actress a season before he's going to UFA. Lol, he's signing in LA. "Married to LA Kings Star Forward," gets you bookings, lol.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Rasmus Andersson
MacKenzie Weegar
Adam Larsson
Neal Pionk
Colton Parayko

any of these guys would be a nice addition to the 2nd pairing. soucy/andersson/larsson. puck moving capabilities and physicality. the ask from those teams would be pretty steep i'd imagine. start with a 1st round pick and add from there. pushes myers down to the third pairing like everyone is saying. forbort/deharnais to the pressbox. comes in case of injuries.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Rasmus Andersson
MacKenzie Weegar
Adam Larsson
Neal Pionk
Colton Parayko

any of these guys would be a nice addition to the 2nd pairing. soucy/andersson/larsson. puck moving capabilities and physicality. the ask from those teams would be pretty steep i'd imagine. start with a 1st round pick and add from there. pushes myers down to the third pairing like everyone is saying. forbort/deharnais to the pressbox. comes in case of injuries.

I would not expect Weegar, Pionk, or Parayko to cost much at all.

Another name I'd be interested in, depending on how Philadelphia's season goes, is Travis Sanheim.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Just saw that Draisaitl proposed to Ontario born actress a season before he's going to UFA. Lol, he's signing in LA. "Married to LA Kings Star Forward," gets you bookings, lol.
I can't think of a single NHL player who has married an actress and gone on to play with the Kings ...

• Haha
Reactions: Wisp and sting101

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
why does everyone bring up Adam Larsson but not Will Borgen. both are UFA.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Briere has been pretty clear on not wanting to operate in LTIR, and there isn't any way Johansen will play in the AHL, so they'll need to do something to move that contract.

Exactly and there's very few teams that would be willing to take on his contract right now. Flyers certainly don't want to pay premium to get out of their own mess.

I would not expect Weegar, Pionk, or Parayko to cost much at all.

Another name I'd be interested in, depending on how Philadelphia's season goes, is Travis Sanheim.

So this is where I think there may be an opportunity. Basically using Johansen's contract to cancel out 4m of Sanheim's contract by stashing him on LTIR. Granted he would have to play ball and is a notorious cancer so you'd have to get his consent before making the deal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That Sanheim contract though?

Brodin would be great 6m x 4yrs

Adam Pelech 4yrs at 5.75. Gonna have to pay Romanov and Dobson and have Bolduc coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad