Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | No One Knows Anything

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I wanted Tanev but not at 5-7 years lol

Exactly this.

“Missing out” on Tanev, Guentzel, etc should be referred to as “walking away from” because these bidding wars are going to get out of hand in either term or AAV and I don’t care what player you are, if you are overpriced for what you bring, you are detrimental to your team.

Good deals only

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Would be a pretty smooth transition into retirement if you've already got a nice West Van home to pop out a couple kids in...

For a guy who already has more money than he’ll ever need, how much is it worth to have 7 extra Christmases at home with your whole family, grandparents for babysitting, etc?

Canucks could also leverage some scouting/skills coaching opportunities for his brothers if they were interested.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
For a guy who already has more money than he’ll ever need, how much is it worth to have 7 extra Christmases at home with your whole family, grandparents for babysitting, etc?

Canucks could also leverage some scouting/skills coaching opportunities for his brothers if they were interested.

5% of me is delusionally nodding along with you

1719772860262.gif

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
the need to be able to pair them with hughes means only liljegren is potentially an option for us. he'd need to be a cheap gamble.
We talk about how eastern media are asleep by the time the west plays, but I feel like y’all are sleeping on how Liljegren plays.

He’s 6’1, 190lb. He’s a physical player, similar to Hronek. Lilly averaged close to 2 hits and over 2 blks a game this season. He’s only been a minus player once, his rookie year.

He was asked to be the shutdown guy this year, and admittedly struggled at times, but still had a career pace of 34pts. Skated almost 20 min a night on a contending team.

Bare minimum, he’s a puck moving, physical defender with less than 200 games experience. He’s 25, with tons of room to grow. If the Leafs want to be dumb, you punish them for their stupidity.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Hook this hopium into my veins.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Both his brothers have retired and moved back to Vancouver and are working for his dad’s investment business (which I’m guessing Sam will end up involved with too) so there are pretty major family considerations there.
Indeed. And if that's important to him, I can see him leaving money on the table to be here.

Reactions: MS

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Exactly this.

“Missing out” on Tanev, Guentzel, etc should be referred to as “walking away from” because these bidding wars are going to get out of hand in either term or AAV and I don’t care what player you are, if you are overpriced for what you bring, you are detrimental to your team.

Good deals only

It's really not about term at all when it comes to Reinhart or Guentzel. Both will get max term from whomever wants to sign them and the AAV will be similar. Comes down to where those players want to set their family and themselves up for retirement - which is why my mind is starting to turn towards Reinhart as well. It feels like a good move to Vancouver for what little we know of his personal life. Whereas Guentzel being an American and then there's Tampa Bay who will be able to offer that 8th year and a life in anonymity in Florida with less tax - seems foregone.

But as for Tanev the rumours of 6 years are just insane to me as well. Tanev will be dead or in a wheelchair by that point with how he plays the game. And I have an unpopular opinion of having almost zero interest in signing him. I think our fanbase over-rates him and have a weird infatuation woth a player that wont move the needle at all for us.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We talk about how eastern media are asleep by the time the west plays, but I feel like y’all are sleeping on how Liljegren plays.

He’s 6’1, 190lb. He’s a physical player, similar to Hronek. Lilly averaged close to 2 hits and over 2 blks a game this season. He’s only been a minus player once, his rookie year.

He was asked to be the shutdown guy this year, and admittedly struggled at times, but still had a career pace of 34pts. Skated almost 20 min a night on a contending team.

Bare minimum, he’s a puck moving, physical defender with less than 200 games experience. He’s 25, with tons of room to grow. If the Leafs want to be dumb, you punish them for their stupidity.

a supposedly contending cap strapped team that knows him well walked away from his rfa rights.

i am a longtime liljegren fan and was saying he's the only one of those three we could sign so i do sort of agree with you he has upside, but it is definitely a gamble. the problem is whether we can or should take that kind of gamble. i'd rather find a more reliable option for that role keeping in mind we can give up a lot of offence if the guy is going to play with hughes, and also that with myers signed to pk and hronek potentially running another line most of the time we really only need 18 minutes at even strength out of this guy. what we cannot give up is the ability to clear the net, which is something we should not expect hughes to do on a consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad