Speculation: Where does Swayman’s Cap Hit Land?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is Swayman’s new AAV?

• $6m

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • $7m

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • $8m

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • $9m

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • $10m

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • $11m

• $12m+

• Total voters

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
This is what scares me . I may be wrong but I get the impression Swayman is a player that is very much about getting the very most he can . You will not see any home town discount. If an agreement has not been reached yet it straps Don in how much he can spend on free agents
He went through arbitration already and just watched them trade his best friend. I'm not sure he is in the mood for a home town discount.
If he ends up in arbitration again, it will be a disaster

Reactions: UConn126 and bme44

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
if the bruins plan to sign him for 8 years , i wouldn't handicapp there cap
long term, so no more then 6.5 aav.
if he wants 8 million, bruins should just sign him for 4 years max.
you never know with goaltending, not saying swayman is not good but i rememeber
when Carolina won the stanley cup in 2006 . Cam Ward had an unbelievable playoff
that year. Carolina signed cam ward long term to big money that summer. he was never
the same goalie after that.
Carey Price signed his 10 million dollar deal with Montreal even though he was a good
to great at times the team was handicapped with adding quality other players because
of the cap hit on Price, how much playoff success has Montreal had > One year and
how many times have they had poor seasons with Price in net.
be careful with goaltenders is all i can say.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
if the bruins plan to sign him for 8 years , i wouldn't handicapp there cap
long term, so no more then 6.5 aav.
if he wants 8 million, bruins should just sign him for 4 years max.
you never know with goaltending, not saying swayman is not good but i rememeber
when Carolina won the stanley cup in 2006 . Cam Ward had an unbelievable playoff
that year. Carolina signed cam ward long term to big money that summer. he was never
the same goalie after that.
Carey Price signed his 10 million dollar deal with Montreal even though he was a good
to great at times the team was handicapped with adding quality other players because
of the cap hit on Price, how much playoff success has Montreal had > One year and
how many times have they had poor seasons with Price in net.
be careful with goaltenders is all i can say.
Everyone should read your post, there is a lot of to digest there and interesting. I am not sure what the numbers are, but we have only seen a small sample of what he is capable of doing although very positive, I say proceed with caution, and I think the relationship between player and management might be frayed, I say proceed with caution.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It feels a little concerning that a deal hasn't been agreed yet- they must still be some ways apart. I do expect Swayman to be back, but Don will undo much of the good he did yesterday if we end up with Korpisalo as our goalie.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There’s really nothing to indicate a frayed relationship. No other major RFAs have signed yet (Seider, Jarvis, Raymond, Necas etc).

You can’t just say you’re only going to sign him for four years either - the player has something to do with that. You can always refuse his demands and live with a two year arbitration award (or worse, a one year QO where he walks afterwards). It’s up to management and his team to find common ground - something even the most ardent Sweeney haters have to admit Sweeney has excelled at.

Much ado about nothing yet.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It feels a little concerning that a deal hasn't been agreed yet- they must still be some ways apart. I do expect Swayman to be back, but Don will undo much of the good he did yesterday if we end up with Korpisalo as our goalie.

Sway either plays in Boston, Don trades him for a favorable return after working out a plan for a new starter, or he sits out. Unless his camp somehow gets another team to throw an offersheet out which I highly doubt.

Worst case they go to arb, Bruins get him for 2 years, and they buy some time to find a new #1 goalie.

I don't see the worst case happening.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nor do I, but I do find apparent lack of movement a little unsettling.

You think? I would have said if he wants max term, that knocks that AAV down some?

I think he says to himself these are his prime years and the cap is going up big time.

This might be a case where he won't go max term but maybe he goes with 4-5 years and then a 2nd mega-contract could be his.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I have no inside info..
One way or another it will be resolved. One year, two year via arbitration or a big multi year deal.

If I had to guess it wont be as much AAV or years but how paid. Heavy on signing bonus.
Guaranteed $$$$. Lockout protection. And makes it harder to move especially if there is limited NMC.
Last but not least its buyout protected too.

Just a hunch.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
7 years 6.2 million per.
Guy is a great goalie but anything more not having played 50 regular season games yet is overpayment. Sweeney usually surprises us with his re-signings. I have faith he'll keep it below 7. I also have faith it's a done deal. No way he trades ullmark if they haven't agreed in principle.
I totally agree any goalie with his limited resume should not get more than 6 mil. Give him 3 yrs at this rate and see how he handles the pressure of really being the number 1. No Ullmark to step in when the going gets rough.

Would give both parties a re-evaluation period and if all goes well then he can have his 9 mil or whatever.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
7 years 6.2 million per.
Guy is a great goalie but anything more not having played 50 regular season games yet is overpayment. Sweeney usually surprises us with his re-signings. I have faith he'll keep it below 7. I also have faith it's a done deal. No way he trades ullmark if they haven't agreed in principle.
I think if this is what he was looking for it would have already been done.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I totally agree any goalie with his limited resume should not get more than 6 mil. Give him 3 yrs at this rate and see how he handles the pressure of really being the number 1. No Ullmark to step in when the going gets rough.

Would give both parties a re-evaluation period and if all goes well then he can have his 9 mil or whatever.
And if he says no? He says he wants 8 years.

Do you let him just accept the QO or go to arbitration and walk? Trade him?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Well as far as I am concerned give him 6 mil for 8 yrs if this is acceptable to both parties. No way they should give him 8 or 9 mil for 8 yrs. I know he has been a very good goalie over his limited time but you cannot just give in because they do not have a proven quality backup.

Otherwise you have to look at the QO acceptance, go to arbitration, etc. .

He can not be the only one controlling the negotiations.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

If the Bs only offer that 6M at 3 years and Im his agent I advise him to take the QO and tell them to go pound sand. July 1 Im outta here. Also let it be known if anybody trades for me I decide later if I want to stay long term or again, July 1 buh bye

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If the Bs only offer that 6M at 3 years and Im his agent I advise him to take the QO and tell them to go pound sand. July 1 Im outta here. Also let it be known if anybody trades for me I decide later if I want to stay long term or again, July 1 buh bye
Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad