Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Left overs? Waited too long? Over played their hand? Misjudged the market?

They may have just lost Myers and Zadorov.

The BIG news might be they signed Joshua, a 3rd line player that can be replaced. But then they may try to play him on the top two lines because they missed on other FA's

The Demelo signing could set the market, although it is Winnipeg so a little over pay might be expected. But he isn't close to Zadorov or Myers in skill.

Or they have a plan, a big trade, but with Rutherford/Allvin waiting was not their reputation.

Is the delayed transactions have something to do with the Globe in Vegas? To make a spectacle.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
When it comes to Toffoli and Joshua - why not both? :laugh:

If we go the discount route (Toffoli over Guentzel), we’d have room easily for Joshua too, IMO.

On a different note - I think the thing that surprises me most is that we haven’t locked up Silovs yet. Those two year value deals have been Allvin’s specialty.

Reactions: theguardianII

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The only top 6 forwards I could see taking short term deals are Duchene and Arvidsson.

Duchene: Chasing a cup and 75M career earnings already. Getting up there in age, 34 next season.

Arvidsson: Maybe hoping for a bounce back year for a better contract with term next year. He may also just get short term contract offers due to his injury history.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
So Tampa has a cap crunch if they wanna sign Stamkos... I wonder if they'd be willing to part with Cernak now that they acquired McDonough.

If the team goes after a high profile guy, they'll need to find some value players in FA. As mentioned above, Duchene and Arvidsson could be prime targets. Duclair, Sprong, and maybe even Perron could be a decent add. I'm still on the Mikheyev for Reilly Smith copium train - could change the dynamics of the offseason big time.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Why would Toffoli take a 2 year deal. This is his last big deal he is gonna want at least 3 years, probably 4 or 5 years.
If he is willing…

When it comes to Toffoli and Joshua - why not both? :laugh:

If we go the discount route (Toffoli over Guentzel), we’d have room easily for Joshua too, IMO.

On a different note - I think the thing that surprises me most is that we haven’t locked up Silovs yet. Those two year value deals have been Allvin’s specialty.

Not a fan of the discount route to be honest

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So Tampa has a cap crunch if they wanna sign Stamkos... I wonder if they'd be willing to part with Cernak now that they acquired McDonough.

If the team goes after a high profile guy, they'll need to find some value players in FA. As mentioned above, Duchene and Arvidsson could be prime targets. Duclair, Sprong, and maybe even Perron could be a decent add. I'm still on the Mikheyev for Reilly Smith copium train - could change the dynamics of the offseason big time.
Sergachev had a really bad year.

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
I think they surprise and go down the trade route for a winger if they can’t get Jakey boy. Not interested in those ufa’s, they don’t move the needle much in terms of production and speed in the top 6.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The only top 6 forwards I could see taking short term deals are Duchene and Arvidsson.

Duchene: Chasing a cup and 75M career earnings already. Getting up there in age, 34 next season.

Arvidsson: Maybe hoping for a bounce back year for a better contract with term next year. He may also just get short term contract offers due to his injury history.

Assuming he gets bought out, Skinner will likely be looking for a short term deal, or at least willing to sign at a cheapish AAV I'd expect.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Assuming he gets bought out, Skinner will likely be looking for a short term deal, or at least willing to sign at a cheapish AAV I'd expect.
While he did put up 35 goals and 82 points last year, he fell off hard this year and has always kind of sucked on the powerplay. He's also very much not a Tocchet kind of forward defensively.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to taking a flyer on him for cheap, but I also don't have high expectations.

Reactions: mossey3535

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Joshua missed a pile of games. Now do PPG or regular season + playoffs combined.

Toffoli also played a huge chunk of games (and his most productive games) with Jack Hughes.

Your initial statement was "outscored" not "outpaced". Toffoli was ahead in absolute EVPs. He was slightly behind in rate (a difference of 2 EVPs over 82 games).

We can't also penalize talented players (Toffoli) for being able to play with better players. Or parse out PPPs on a whim. But just in terms of EVPs, I think Toffoli is a better bet to beat Joshua next year, largely because I don't think Joshua is a true talent 40~ EVP producer without Garland (or even in general if his shooting percentage and shot rate regress to sub 1 shot/GP), while Toffoli is looking back at 48 EVPs 1 year ago, and has hit 31 EVPs in a 52 game season... There's just more surety there.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Joshua had a fantastic season but you can't blame management for being leery of paying him big money.

Despite finally working his way into a solid roster position the previous season for the first time in his career (at the age of 27), he showed up to camp out of shape. What level will his motivation be when he's got that "never have to work again" money guaranteed?

There is lots of downside risk here and a smaller amount of upside that he may be a late blooming middle six player. I can understand why the team doesn't want to get into the 3m range or higher.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

If JPG gets bought out. He would be a heck of a fit for the Canucks. Defensively sound right handed center that produces at even strength.
would depend on $$, but NY is trying to move him because his season was not good. I will admit to watching almost no NYI hockey this year and i wasn't paying attention to him specifically when we played them, but his shot based metrics were horrendous last season. I have no idea if he was put in a shut down role, but if so, he did not do a good job at all. if he gets bought out and is willing to take an OELesque $2.xMM on a one year deal, absolutely.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
That the Senators are in on guys like Kaliyev and Zegras shows a fundamental misunderstanding by management of what is wrong with that roster.

Couple that with Travis Green behind the bench and I am expecting a disastrous season for them.

That being said, buying out Hamonic is the right move.

Credit where credit is due - Ullmark deal is a nice piece of work from them.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think we should be looking for 1 year deals for a chunk of the remaining spots. With the OEL buyout and Boeser extension up next year we will need some flexibility.
If they can't find an extra million to keep the 5th best defence in the league intact where will they find an additional 3 mil for Boeser?
The fact that's it's been so quiet makes me think Allvin is cooking up something blockbuster worthy.

Or it's just me giving hopium.
Benning back lash. 2015 100+ points, playoff games, 2016 capped out, bloated contracts for old players, no depth at the farm for top line players, draft picks traded away, letting FA's walk. 50+ losses.

Worried this is a repeat just because of the silence .

But then the whole league is being quiet, I would have thought there would have been 20+ signings at least today.

Maybe Zadorov and Myers, two players that have stated publicly they want to stay here are already done and the league wants to make Draft day into a movie with lots of "we have a trade to announce". How could they get all the GM's and media to keep quiet about this kind of stuff?

One more day for buyouts.

"The team that wins the Vezina wins the cup" Defence wins more close games.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Joshua had a fantastic season but you can't blame management for being leery of paying him big money.

Despite finally working his way into a solid roster position the previous season for the first time in his career (at the age of 27), he showed up to camp out of shape. What level will his motivation be when he's got that "never have to work again" money guaranteed?

There is lots of downside risk here and a smaller amount of upside that he may be a late blooming middle six player. I can understand why the team doesn't want to get into the 3m range or higher.
There's nothing to suggest he won't show up to camp ready because there isn't a history of that with him outside of one incident where not everybody was buying into the team yet. In contrast, absolutely I'd be worried with someone like Kassian who was regularly not taking things seriously here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad