Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I liked this tweet, but now I don't understand it?

By re-signing Myers, they don't have $4.5m left to give Tanev...

1719534475745.png

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I disagree because you are taking the stats out of context. You are comparing ten year periods, seemingly, over which time Guentzel got to play with the second highest even strength point scorer. And so of course Guentzel’s production will be affected by that.

And yes, Guentzel scored well at even strength. But it was 16 games and he scored at almost certainly unsustainable 1 even strength point per game. Would it surprise you if I could find a similar stretch over the last three years for Reinhart?

And I just don’t really get why we should care that Guentzel scored more even strength points four years ago than Reinhart. From a time perspective, is it all that relevant? And even if it is, is it surprising? He was playing for a dumpster fire organization while Guentzel was riding shotgun with the best player of his generation.

Again, do you really think Reinhart’s stats would be much different over the past ten years from Guentzel’s if he played with Crosby? Because I just don’t really see it.
You ignored twice in a row now how I've pointed out the nose dive Reinhart took last year. Why?

Reactions: Bleach Clean

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So maybe Calgary is tanking? I have no idea what the plan is for this season.

Or maybe they think they can go shopping in free agency…?
Calgary going full rebuild....or clearing cap space to do something really dumb on July 1st? Lol Conroy.

WSH is continuing their zombie franchise mode of assembling a mid-enough roster to keep OV going.

Reactions: Vector

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
holy shit.. two players with chemistry do exist. this reply reads like a 7 yr old who doesn't know how to debate things with actual facts and words.
I’ve banged the drum over several threads this off-season that the third line should not be put on a pedestal ahead of improving our top-six forward corps. But here we go again.

Joshua and Garland are both very nice players and they do have a ton of chemistry together. But I do believe that Garland is a luxury on the third line and considering that he doesn’t contribute to the PK, PP, or top-six. I feel that his cap hit is a wildly outsized inefficiency given the rest of the Canucks line-up needs.

I also believe that Joshua is a player capable of performing outside of being Garland’s linemate. His excellent work on the PK is a strong indicator of this. I personally choose to believe that Joshua can lead an effective third line without Garland being stapled to his wing.

Yes, they have excellent chemistry together. Joshua and another player can also have excellent chemistry together. It is short-sighted and painting the roster into a corner if you believe that you absolutely have to keep the third line together instead of making the best move possible for the top-six.

Canucks approach this off-season needs to be to go for it. My lesson from these playoffs is that you win with your best players—not your third line. Management should go after the players you want on the ice with a minute left in the game. Not the players who are on the bench. Garland is great, but he is not a last minute player on either offense or defense.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I disagree because you are taking the stats out of context. You are comparing ten year periods, seemingly, over which time Guentzel got to play with the second highest even strength point scorer. And so of course Guentzel’s production will be affected by that.

And yes, Guentzel scored well at even strength in the regular season with Carolina. But it was 16 games and he scored at almost certainly unsustainable 1 even strength point per game. Would it surprise you if I could find a similar stretch over the last three years for Reinhart?

And I just don’t really get why we should care that Guentzel scored more even strength points four years ago than Reinhart. From a time perspective, is it all that relevant? And even if it is, is it surprising? He was playing for a dumpster fire organization while Guentzel was riding shotgun with the best player of his generation.

Again, do you really think Reinhart’s stats would be much different over the past ten years from Guentzel’s if he played with Crosby? Because I just don’t really see it.

Why are you devaluing recent ES production while also devaluing ES production on balance (years ago or over many years)?

Usually, posters gravitate to one or the other to make a case. You're discounting both.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I actually want to try Joshua and EP together. EP has always said he wants a bigger guy on his line.

Joshua-EP-Guentzal
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Blueger-Garland

Reactions: arttk

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You ignored twice in a row now how I've pointed out the nose dive Reinhart took last year. Why?
I’m not ignoring it. My whole point is what would Reinhart’s production be if he was playing with a generational talent which is obviously why I’m not overly focusing on his stats in Florida.

And interestingly, in the 11 playoff games in Carolina, Guentzel’s even strength point production significantly lowered and was at around the same pace as Reinhart’s over his last three seasons with Florida.

Reactions: sting101

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why are you devaluing recent ES production while also devaluing ES production on balance (years ago or over many years)?

Usually, posters gravitate to one or the other to make a case. You're discounting both.
Are you referring to the sixteen regular season games? I’m devaluing them based on sample size. If you want the most recent sample look at his last 11 games where he scored at a similar even strength rate to Reinhart over the past few years.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Are you referring to the sixteen regular season games? I’m devaluing them based on sample size. If you want the most recent sample look at his last 11 games where he scored at a similar even strength rate to Reinhart over the past few years.

But then that parses his 28 game sample away from Crosby.

If he does better outside of the context of Crosby, it's because Geuntzel himself is a great player and not a byproduct of Crosby. That's discounted as a short sample. If he did better than Reinhart with Crosby, then it's because he's a byproduct of Crosby. Does that seem right?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Crosby last 3yrs with Guentzel = 55.45%
Guentzel last 3yrs without Crosby = 39.70%

Full disclosure he almost always was attached to Crosby....but that's also a good reason to have a bit of concern as he approaches 30 and is without a generational talent.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I’ve banged the drum over several threads this off-season that the third line should not be put on a pedestal ahead of improving our top-six forward corps. But here we go again.

Joshua and Garland are both very nice players and they do have a ton of chemistry together. But I do believe that Garland is a luxury on the third line and considering that he doesn’t contribute to the PK, PP, or top-six. I feel that his cap hit is a wildly outsized inefficiency given the rest of the Canucks line-up needs.

I also believe that Joshua is a player capable of performing outside of being Garland’s linemate. His excellent work on the PK is a strong indicator of this. I personally choose to believe that Joshua can lead an effective third line without Garland being stapled to his wing.

Yes, they have excellent chemistry together. Joshua and another player can also have excellent chemistry together. It is short-sighted and painting the roster into a corner if you believe that you absolutely have to keep the third line together instead of making the best move possible for the top-six.

Canucks approach this off-season needs to be to go for it. My lesson from these playoffs is that you win with your best players—not your third line. Management should go after the players you want on the ice with a minute left in the game. Not the players who are on the bench. Garland is great, but he is not a last minute player on either offense or defense.

You know, this could be heresy, but are they looking to move Garland this offseason?

A tweet goes out saying Guentzel and Tanev are 1 and 2 for priority. Hours later, they re-sign Myers. Now they don't have the money for Tanev.... Unless they move another player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
im taking Myers over Tanev......Tanev has been hit with so many pucks and big hits im surprised he can get out of bed let alone dress for 82 plus playoffs. Of course he's a little better but he's got zero offensive jam anymore and at least Myers can still wheel and look dangerous

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I now have a dream. Reinhart gives the Canucks a sweet-heart hometown deal at 7x$8M, Carrier signs for 3x$4M, and you still have a couple million to play with.

Reactions: pitseleh

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Crosby last 3yrs with Guentzel = 55.45%
Guentzel last 3yrs without Crosby = 39.70%

Full disclosure he almost always was attached to Crosby....but that's also a good reason to have a bit of concern as he approaches 30 and is without a generational talent.
He had 25 points in 17 games with the Canes. 9 points in 11 playoff games.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I’m not ignoring it. My whole point is what would Reinhart’s production be if he was playing with a generational talent which is obviously why I’m not overly focusing on his stats in Florida.

And interestingly, in the 11 playoff games in Carolina, Guentzel’s even strength point production significantly lowered and was at around the same pace as Reinhart’s over his last three seasons with Florida.
You literally ignored it. I think you ignored it because it doesn't suit your argument and it's one of the major red flags with signing Reinhart to what he's supposed to want. He's getting projected to receive 10M but wasn't even a first line producer at ES last year in Florida or 7/10 seasons in his career.

The guy who didn't produce at a level worth the contract he wants for 7/10 seasons is by default a bigger risk than the guy who actually did regardless of linemates.

Reactions: Bleach Clean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad