Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I can see him prioritizing fit and a short term deal....and there probably isn't a better fit for him out there. Tre Kronor line. how sweede it is.

Main thing against him, apart from his injury, is he's 31 years old. He'll be 32 next off-season. So a one-year show-me deal might actually be very appealing for him. Good chance it's either that or long-term contract just to lock in the guaranteed money.

Reactions: Jerry the great

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His last two contract AAVs were $4.6m (3 yrs) and $4.25m (4 yrs) respectively. He has bounced around the league. He liked it here. If he chooses winning/environment like Joshua has done, I could see him repeat that $4m~ AAV on a good team.

I don't think the Canucks go to $5m+ AAV for him.

If you had to give him 3 yrs at $4.5m, would you do it?

(Skinner is not a fit for Tocchet, imo)

3 of his 4 most productive seasons have come on this last contract. When he signed at $4.6 it was on a flat cap coming off a 48-point season with one year in his career over 50 points. He isn't taking a paycut.

And no, I don't want to give him 3 years.

Reactions: Hodgy and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If you're adding Guentzel and Heinen up front for sure you're shipping out Garland - I can't see this front office having four tiny guys in the top 9 (including Hoglander).

I agree but I don't think that's something they are keen on doing. Right now they are setup pretty well with two lines locked in and just needing a true top-6 scorer for Pettersson. Then focus on the defence. An additional winger can be found during the season or at the deadline.

Reactions: Pacific Canuck

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
One thought for roster construction:

To fully utilize Poolman's LTIR, we are going to need at least 3 waiver exempt or waived players to make the team. I would assume we will see some roster shenanigans to maximize the cap room available and you need waiver flexibility to do it.
There's no "fully utilizing Poolman's LTIR". It doesn't work that way.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Toffoli is not worst case scenario, Teuvo Teravainen is he is Erkisson 2.0.

Teravainen is a better skater and all-around player but his ES production has been 3rd line-ish for a long time propped up by PP1 points from usage he woudn't get here. I think he'll age 'better' but less productively than Toffoli if that makes sense, because he's a much more useful player when not scoring. But I don't want either.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Main thing against him, apart from his injury, is he's 31 years old. He'll be 32 next off-season. So a one-year show-me deal might actually be very appealing for him. Good chance it's either that or long-term contract just to lock in the guaranteed money.
he has already made like $30MM, so the long term deal may not be as big a deal to him as it would be to someone else. I would happily offer $4MM for 2 or $5MM for 1.

would give us $9-10MM to find #4 and #6 defenders:

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov ($4.75) X
Soucy Y

Imagine Matt Roy as your X and Myers as your Y.

Reactions: Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lindholm for Debrusk
Suter Hirose for Hayton

Debrusk 5.5 x 6
Zadorov 4.75 x 6
Arvidsson 3.5 x 1
Myers 3 x 1
Hayton 2.3 x 3
Silovs 1.2 x 2

Arvidsson Miller Boeser-----------Hughes Hronek-----Demko
Hoglander Pettersson Debrusk----Soucy Myers-------Silovs
Joshua Hayton Garland-----------Zadorov Juulsen
De Guiseppe Blueger Podkolzin
Amen ----------------------------Friedman

Fits with 53k left

Oh and Myers and Arvidsson coming off the books allows for Willander Lekkerimaki and a good D in free agency next year as well as some raises for Hogs and Boeser

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Teravainen is a better skater and all-around player but his ES production has been 3rd line-ish for a long time propped up by PP1 points from usage he woudn't get here. I think he'll age 'better' but less productively than Toffoli if that makes sense, because he's a much more useful player when not scoring. But I don't want either.
The concussions took a toll on this player. I wouldn't be surprised if he's unsigned for a while.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hog-Petey-Tofolli
Joshua-Wennberg-Garland
Aman-Blueger-Podkolzin
Di Giuseppe

Hughes-Hronek
Myers-Soucy
Z/Dillon-Freidman

Might be a better idea to sign Tofolli instead of Guentzel to help bolster the rest of the lineup. Tofolli for Mikheyev instantly makes Pettersson’s line much better.
Why does everyone keep putting Suter on the 1st line.He is a checking 3rd line center and pk.And I'm expecting Boeser to not reach 40 again.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why does everyone keep putting Suter on the 1st line.He is a checking 3rd line center and pk.And I'm expecting Boeser to not reach 40 again.

Because he worked there, is cheap, and they will likely spend the bulk of their cap space on Pettersson's winger and the defense. There may be some odds-and-ends left for another top-six winger, but that's no sure thing. They need an impact top-six winger and at least two right-side defensemen and either Zadorov or another left-side defenseman.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Look at what Evan Rodrigues was able to contribute in Florida. I think Pius Suter has the potential to play that role for us at a bargain if he already doesn’t.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
myers can go faster but he needs more runway to stop.

1000026393.gif

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Teravainen is a perimeter player. He doesn't play the style or role were looking for. Sure on a 1 yr deal if we cant find a top6 but certainly not a good term player. We need some inside guys in the top6 or Miller Boeser are gonna get wrecked and Pettersson too

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

? Teravainen would absolutely be a PP1 mainstay for Vancouver.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
3 of his 4 most productive seasons have come on this last contract. When he signed at $4.6 it was on a flat cap coming off a 48-point season with one year in his career over 50 points. He isn't taking a paycut.

And no, I don't want to give him 3 years.

We don't know what he views as a pay cut at this stage of his career. On his last deal he took 5.21% of the cap, which works out to be $4.58m AAV on a $88m cap... In the earlier deal, he took 6.30% of the cap, which is $5.54m AAV on an $88m cap. Last, he's experienced a decline, as you've cited, from CGY tro NJ...

I think at best he gets that 6.30% of the cap at 32 years old. And so, even if we split the difference and say he gets $5m AAV in FA, then $4.5m from the Canucks is quite reasonable given the context.

At that $4.5m, I'd sign him for 3 years (would prefer 2 years).

Edit: And I think you would take $4.5m/2 years if that was what it ended up being (could be wrong).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad