Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
I can see the Canucks resigning everyone of importance except for Lindholm unfortunately. We were at the top of the division without him for 2/3s of the season and he basically picked up the slack when Petey disappeared in the playoffs. I see the team replicating the same season more or less which isnt a terrible thing.
I think they'll take a step back in the regular season: Second or third in the division. However, I think they'll go into the playoffs a lot more prepared and conditioned than they were. I don't think the WCF are out of the question, depending on if they can bring back a team relatively similar to the one they had, with Pettersson hopefully having a much better latter half of the season as well.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think they'll take a step back in the regular season: Second or third in the division. However, I think they'll go into the playoffs a lot more prepared and conditioned than they were. I don't think the WCF are out of the question, depending on if they can bring back a team relatively similar to the one they had, with Pettersson hopefully having a much better latter half of the season as well.

A healthy Demko and Petey would go a huge way towards our playoff hopes - injury luck has scarcely ever been on our side, though. Exhibit A - this playoffs. :laugh:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The team failed to rest Petey, when they had long ago ensured a playoff berth.

The team overplayed Demko, when they had a capable backup in CDS.

The team played an injured Mik for most of the previous season, a season in which they were out of the playoffs by November.

So Boeser getting a blood clot was bad luck.

But this team's medical staff, managerial decisions, failure to use LTIR to bring in more salary ala Vegas (and previously Tampa), and coaching attitudes towards over-utilization of players - all of that leaves much to be desired.

Hopefully they turn over the medical staff once more, and Ruthervin and Toccs learn from this. It's not quite as impactful as giving up a 5th round pick for Lafferty, but that's like saying an atom bomb is not as impactful as a hydrogen bomb.

giphy.gif

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I would be shocked if Carolina placed any value on the rights to sign a 30 year old UFA.
It’s not the rights alone, it’s the ability to give a 8 year contract and reduce cap number.
Carolina probably won’t give out 8 year term but Boston probably would.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The team failed to rest Petey, when they had long ago ensured a playoff berth.

The team overplayed Demko, when they had a capable backup in CDS.

The team played an injured Mik for most of the previous season, a season in which they were out of the playoffs by November.

So Boeser getting a blood clot was bad luck.

But this team's medical staff, managerial decisions, failure to use LTIR to bring in more salary ala Vegas (and previously Tampa), and coaching attitudes towards over-utilization of players - all of that leaves much to be desired.

Hopefully they turn over the medical staff once more, and Ruthervin and Toccs learn from this. It's not quite as impactful as giving up a 5th round pick for Lafferty, but that's like saying an atom bomb is not as impactful as a hydrogen bomb.

giphy.gif
Yeah I posted in Peteys thread but load management needs to be a thing if not a complete turnover of the medical staff.

Organization should be looking towards constant improvements in all areas, including this one.

Reactions: I am toxic

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It’s not the rights alone, it’s the ability to give a 8 year contract and reduce cap number.
Carolina probably won’t give out 8 year term but Boston probably would.
Canes don’t exactly strike me as a team lining up to give 8 years out to players who turn 30 this year

Reactions: dez

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Laff with a goal of the playoffs. Man alive what a gamebreaker he has turned out to be. Too bad can't buy low on him anymore. What a series!

edit: sorry, wrong thread

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The forwards in this UFA class, aside from Guentzel and Reinhart, seems pretty underwhelming. Guys like Zucker or Tofu won't help Petey much at all. Kane won't come here. Maybe Allvin need to look at the trade route if he really want to upgrade his top 6.

It's a huge risk but, would he check in to see how Laine is doing, and see if CBJ will trade him for pennies just to rid themselves of that contract? Otherwise, it's hard to see the top 6 get significantly better, no matter how many UFA we talk about.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I don’t see Vancouver having any interest in Carrier or Walker. They are too small. Allvin stated that he was very happy with his defense this playoffs—and it’s clear that he has prioritized having big, heavy defensemen—Zadorov, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen.

As long as you have Hughes taking up so much ice-time, I don’t think you will see them acquire another sub 6’0 defenseman.

It’s why I think they will ultimately re-sign Zadorov.
sometimes a team needs two puck movers on each pair. hughes cant do that alone... if not carrier then someone else

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
The forwards in this UFA class, aside from Guentzel and Reinhart, seems pretty underwhelming. Guys like Zucker or Tofu won't help Petey much at all. Kane won't come here. Maybe Allvin need to look at the trade route if he really want to upgrade his top 6.

It's a huge risk but, would he check in to see how Laine is doing, and see if CBJ will trade him for pennies just to rid themselves of that contract? Otherwise, it's hard to see the top 6 get significantly better, no matter how many UFA we talk about.
Does Laine play defence? I see him being a player that can mesh very well with Petey with his type of release but a guy Toch would hate.

Reactions: mossey3535

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Does Laine play defence? I see him being a player that can mesh very well with Petey with his type of release but a guy Toch would hate.
Laine definitely doesn't play good defense nor will he help improve team speed. But he has a lethal shot and had been good on the PP in the past. At $8.7m for 2 more years, he will come in cheaper and on shorter term than Guentzel or Reinhart.

But there are lots of risks associated with him though, definitely a high risk high reward play.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Rangers straight choking. Great shot by Forsling (no regrets there, Hahaha.... Sob) but trochek made a huge blunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad