Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Haven’t seen him talked about much, but Jason Zucker is another guy the Canucks were reportedly interested in for some time leading up to the trade deadline. Could be someone they circle back to in free agency.

EDIT:

In that same vein, the guys I remember the Canucks being linked to were -

Jake Guentzel
Tyler Toffoli
Jason Zucker
Brandon Duhaime
Brendon Dillon (as an FA signing by Dhaliwal)
Yeah there’s been a lot of smoke with Zucker. He was rumoured to be part of that JT Miller package (along with two 1st round picks) and is a former Penguin.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah there’s been a lot of smoke with Zucker. He was rumoured to be part of that JT Miller package (along with two 1st round picks) and is a former Penguin.

The other part of that rumour were the Canucks were going to flip Zucker.

He problem with Zucker is he’s just not very good at anything. I’d much rather spend cap space on a big upgrade at wing or on defence.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
@sting101 Sekeres & Price, Canucks Army, and Rink Wide are all now owned by The Nation Network of which Seravalli is the president of hockey content. He’s their boss.
Didn't know that...thx

Makes a lot of sense considering how much those 2 kiss his ass.

Ohh well wont be the first nor the last insider i could give 2 Fs about his opinion going forward

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Zucker is in the same vein as Suter - Heinen at this stage of his career.

If you can get him cheap for a year or 2 he could be a nice addition.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Haven’t seen him talked about much, but Jason Zucker is another guy the Canucks were reportedly interested in for some time leading up to the trade deadline. Could be someone they circle back to in free agency.

EDIT:

In that same vein, the guys I remember the Canucks being linked to were -

Jake Guentzel
Tyler Toffoli
Jason Zucker
Brandon Duhaime
Brendon Dillon (as an FA signing by Dhaliwal)
The idea of Duhaime is one of wonder for me. He is out there hitting people but holds one of the worst corsi in the entire league. I don't see enough skill even for a bottom 6 guy to warrant a spot.

Reactions: GranvilleIsland

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The idea of Duhaime is one of wonder for me. He is out there hitting people but holds one of the worst corsi in the entire league. I don't see enough skill even for a bottom 6 guy to warrant a spot.

Brandon Duhaime? He has 53.5% CF%, which is only -1.5% relative to his teammates, he had a solid year this year, the past few were bad though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agreed. P/60 is not conclusive here.

With that in mind, and the market demand for RHDs, what's he getting in FA? I leaned to a lower AAV than a higher AAV for him, but scarcity will have its day too.
Chatfield AAV probably around what Soucy got. I don't think it's crazy, but ideally he is a 4/5 guy and not a real top-four player for you team. And we know Myers will be back and (hopefully) in that spot.
He was 75th in unadjusted ES scoring in his second full NHL season. It was a noticeable step up from his first season. so really pretty solid top 4 production from bottom pair minutes and solid defensive play as well. I don't see any of this as a reason not to sign him considering he just turned 28 and hasn't even played 200 NHL games yet. seems like there's potentially some upside to his game.
Once again, I am begging you to watch this guy play and describe the offensive skills and offensive "upside" you see. Points aren't really indicative on non-PP1 defensemen performance, and in smaller ice-times you can get weird results.
Yeah and it feels like to a fault. Canucks were rumoured to be interested in Noesen. Wonder if they still are.
Noesen is a nice bottom-six piece, but definitely not paying market price. And he's 31.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We didn’t know we were going to lose. I will match the conspiracy talk with an even more wild idea. They kept Demko out so they could keep his value high. If he went in and lost the two games he could have reduced his value and it allowed Silovs to show that with a decent back up and a better team overall he could be the goalie of the now. We trade Demko at the draft for a first round pick or cost controlled ELC so we can have more room to add scoring. The team feels its defensive structure requires a good but not great goalie.
How much are you willing to bet that Demko will be traded?

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Brandon Duhaime? He has 53.5% CF%, which is only -1.5% relative to his teammates, he had a solid year this year, the past few were bad though.
His season corsi was 46%
In Minny it was 36%

13 points in 80 games. He was better in a very short time frame in Colorado.

His scoring per 60 was the same as Aman's

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Noesen is a nice bottom-six piece, but definitely not paying market price. And he's 31.
Sort of feel bad for a player like him. The AFP has him 3 years 3.2M. I don't know who is gonna give him that but I sure wouldn't. Maybe a Jankrok type of contract 4 x 2.1.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
His season corsi was 46%
In Minny it was 36%

13 points in 80 games. He was better in a very short time frame in Colorado.

His scoring per 60 was the same as Aman's

Oops, I read Minnesota as a previous season

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Somebody needs to post this with a meme of Zadorov going ‘waaaah’

I made the gif when it happened

ezgif-1-89027dc681.gif

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Oops, I read Minnesota as a previous season
IF he came cheap, who wouldn't give him a look. Same as Joshua, ask him to play a little more hockey and be physical when needed not to just go around looking for it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
zucker as a tdl add is one thing, but not as part of your pre-season team building. last season zucker used as much cap as lafferty, pdg, suter and blueger combined. i think ambitious teams expect their pro-scouting to find guys who will give you zucker like performance for a lot less cap.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
zucker as a tdl add is one thing, but not as part of your pre-season team building. last season zucker used as much cap as lafferty, pdg, suter and blueger combined. i think ambitious teams expect their pro-scouting to find guys who will give you zucker like performance for a lot less cap.
Zucker probably signs for much cheaper this year, he didn’t appear to have a great year statistically. He probably signs for around $2.5-3 mill x 1 year, but I wouldn’t do that personally.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Chatfield AAV probably around what Soucy got. I don't think it's crazy, but ideally he is a 4/5 guy and not a real top-four player for you team. And we know Myers will be back and (hopefully) in that spot.

Once again, I am begging you to watch this guy play and describe the offensive skills and offensive "upside" you see. Points aren't really indicative on non-PP1 defensemen performance, and in smaller ice-times you can get weird results.

well he's a very good skater with outstanding acceleration for starters. reads the play well uses his speed in the offensive zone to pinch and keep plays alive and he's certainly not shy about joining the rush. Like pretty much all the skills that make him a good defender are also used at the other end of the rink.
I'm not saying he's going to be QB1/2 on the PP , but i could absolutely see him being a Nate Schmidt (or Chris Tanev) style player that does a lot of heavy lifting at ES, plays a role on the PK and gets you 20-30 full calorie ES points/season. I'd be pretty surprised if the Canes don't extend him, but if they don't, hopefully we're in the mix, I think he'd be a great partner for Quinn Hughes (or Soucy....or Zadorov....or Dillon)

I'd way rather pay Chatfield $3.5MM on a multi year deal than bring Myers back at a comparable cap hit. Though I'd happily sign both TBH.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would need to see a healthy Zaitsev to make a call like that.

For $1m, I couldn't find a better risk vs reward RHD bet in FA.

He’s played 482 games and 400 of them have been pretty dang bad. He’s had 2 healthy seasons and a lot of the missed games is because he’s a healthy scratch on bad teams. He’s never healthy and when he is whatever skill level is gone. At this point, he’s a training camp invite at best

There’s no reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad