Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Term for Zadorov doesn't faze me at all. With his size and skating, he should age well as long as he's healthy (same with everyone there). Just structure the deal so he can be dealt or bought out late in the deal without too much penalty.

Even if he wants an 8 year deal? I believe he was looking for a 5 year deal previously, which I'm comfortable with.

A 6 year deal means he would be 34 1/2 at the beginning of the year. About the same age as Tanev and Cole this year and Hamhuis when he first started in Dallas.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We're not really in a position to worry about a bad contract 5 or 6 or 7 years from now after the current Hughes deal is long expired.

Our window is now and the next 3-4 years and we have to ice the strongest team possible for next year and retain key players and if you have to give an extra year of term to a Zadorov or Joshua ... so what? That's what you do.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Even if he wants an 8 year deal? I believe he was looking for a 5 year deal previously, which I'm comfortable with.

A 6 year deal means he would be 34 1/2 at the beginning of the year. About the same age as Tanev and Cole this year and Hamhuis when he first started in Dallas.

If the AAV made sense, sure even an 8 year deal. But it would need to save at least a million annually compared to a 5 or 6 year deal.

And again, structure of the deal would matter. No or very limited movement protection for the last 2-3 years, and a salary that is as low as possible for a potential buy out. But expect he'll br able to handle 3rd pairing + PK minutes even at 37.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the AAV made sense, sure even an 8 year deal. But it would need to save at least a million annually compared to a 5 or 6 year deal.

And again, structure of the deal would matter. No or very limited movement protection for the last 2-3 years, and a salary that is as low as possible for a potential buy out. But expect he'll br able to handle 3rd pairing + PK minutes even at 37.

What AAV makes sense on an 8 year deal in your opinion?

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
We're not really in a position to worry about a bad contract 5 or 6 or 7 years from now after the current Hughes deal is long expired.

Our window is now and the next 3-4 years and we have to ice the strongest team possible for next year and retain key players and if you have to give an extra year of term to a Zadorov or Joshua ... so what? That's what you do.
100%. I'm a bit worried that our FO are worried about term. That is not a battle they should be fighting these guys on. Get their AAVs down for longer term. That's how you keep a contention window going.

They need to really go for it with this core.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

also we can structure contracts to make it tradeable/buyout-able/tradeable in the later years. If we structure a contract for Joshua where it's like 6 years term and majority of the money is in the first 3 years to keep the cap number at 3.x. That shouldn't be hard to trade or buyout in the last 2 years especially if the Cap is expected to hit ~93M in 2 years and probably ~100M in 4 years.

Reactions: alternate and MS

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

i think it really depends on the cap hit right? 8 years at like 3.25 or 3M is fine in a 100M cap environment.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
100%. I'm a bit worried that our FO are worried about term. That is not a battle they should be fighting these guys on. Get their AAVs down for longer term. That's how you keep a contention window going.

With that in mind, as much as I have enjoyed/am enjoying this season, waiting until this summer to buyout OEL would have resulted in pretty huge cap savings over the next few years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The biggest thing they need to do is be cold hard bastards when it comes to Mikheyev. I like Mikheyev and I feel bad for him coming off his injury and I'm sure he'll do better next year and in a perfect world I'd love to keep him and see him bounce back ... but you have to do whatever it takes to get him outta here because if you can you're essentially trading him for Joshua or Zadorov who are so, so much more important.

If they hop all aboard the hope/feels train like Gillis did with Ballard in 2011 when they should have fired him out of a cannon, it's a massive mistake.

With that in mind, as much as I have enjoyed/am enjoying this season, waiting until this summer to buyout OEL would have resulted in pretty huge cap savings over the next few years.

We aren't where we are now if the organization isn't decisive about moving out players who didn't fit and didn't work and didn't compete, and put the team they wanted in place.

We're where we are because we have leadership and direction from the top, and keeping OEL around like a bad stinky Benning fart because maybe we'd have a bit less of a buyout hit is the most Dave Nonis-y stuff imaginable.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i think that sentiment will go away if we hit SCF.

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
The biggest thing they need to do is be cold hard bastards when it comes to Mikheyev. I like Mikheyev and I feel bad for him coming off his injury and I'm sure he'll do better next year and in a perfect world I'd love to keep him and see him bounce back ... but you have to do whatever it takes to get him outta here because if you can you're essentially trading him for Joshua or Zadorov who are so, so much more important.

If they hop all aboard the hope/feels train like Gillis did with Ballard in 2011 when they should have fired him out of a cannon, it's a massive mistake.
One thing I'm confident about is this FO's ability to be aggressive and move out guys they need to.

Trading Horvat was the perfect sign of that. That gave me all of the confidence in this FO being able to move out players who don't fit their vision or the coach. Tocchet obviously didn't like him and they made the necessary move to address a very crucial area of need.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd be ecstatic with that. Get Joshua in for around 4 as well and that's great value for 8~ mil.

I mean you sorta got to look at total contract value. Have to remember 8x4.5 is equal to 6x6 or just about 5x7.

I’d be surprised if he gets much more than $35-$36M in total contract regardless of term.

Reactions: alternate

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
There are two pretty major cases of Rutherford/Allvin giving up on a player they invested a lot in (Kuzmenko/Perron) and I'm sure if I were to dig deeper I could find more. I'm not remotely worried about what they'll do with Mikheyev

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There are two pretty major cases of Rutherford/Allvin giving up on a player they invested a lot in (Kuzmenko/Perron) and I'm sure if I were to dig deeper I could find more. I'm not remotely worried about what they'll do with Mikheyev

They will get rid of him. He’s just too much of a glaring salary inefficiency to ignore given our free agent pool.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
What AAV makes sense on an 8 year deal in your opinion?

Probably takes $30-32m to get him signed. Spreading that out over 7-8 years instead of 5-6, and then front load as much as is CBA compliant is good for business.

I'd be less enthusiastic about doing something similar for Dak. Him being one of the few guys to come into camp this year not in tip top shape -- despite it being his contract year -- is a big red flag for me.

So I'm not okay giving 6-8 year deals to anyone and everyone. But Zadorov I'd be comfortable with it, assuming the overall money is similar.

Reactions: Tinhorn1

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
One thing I'm confident about is this FO's ability to be aggressive and move out guys they need to.

Trading Horvat was the perfect sign of that. That gave me all of the confidence in this FO being able to move out players who don't fit their vision or the coach. Tocchet obviously didn't like him and they made the necessary move to address a very crucial area of need.
Huh?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Probably takes $30-32m to get him signed. Spreading that out over 7-8 years instead of 5-6, and then front load as much as is CBA compliant is good for business.

I'd be less enthusiastic about doing something similar for Dak. Him being one of the few guys to come into camp this year not in tip top shape -- despite it being his contract year -- is a big red flag for me.

So I'm not okay giving 6-8 year deals to anyone and everyone. But Zadorov I'd be comfortable with it, assuming the overall money is similar.

I think it’ll be a shade higher, maybe $35M but not anything too much more. Based on everything we’ve heard I suspect he’s been asking for 7 x $5M, which I’d probably pay now honestly, but can see why management would have been hesitant previously. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get greedy, I would not be surprised if he could get close to $40-42M from some crazy team on the open market after these playoffs.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Horvat only played 3 games for Tocchet literally nothing to do with him being traded.

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Horvat only played 3 games for Tocchet literally nothing to do with him being traded.
Horvat was likely part of the 'stink' of the lockerroom that has been alluded to constantly. If the coach wanted to keep Horvat around, he would have been kept around. Pretty obvious. I'm sure he could have played in Tocchet's system, but the FO obviously would have ran trading him through Tocchet.

If you don't think Tocchet had a role to play in Horvat being traded, I really don't know what to tell you.

You don't just trade your captain when you get a new coach after 3 games.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Not going to comment on whether Tocchet liked him or not but it most likely came down to contract demands. I also loved that they moved him (debating the player / person aside). It signalled that if any player's contract demands are too high, even the captain of the organization, they will be moved out. I'm fine with keeping Hronek at a reasonable AAV, and have come around on Lindholm and Zadorov (was always in favour of re-signing Joshua) but the team will do what's best for the team. If Hronek or Walsh's demands are ridiculous he'll be moved out and that's that.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

We aren't where we are now if the organization isn't decisive about moving out players who didn't fit and didn't work and didn't compete, and put the team they wanted in place.

We're where we are because we have leadership and direction from the top, and keeping OEL around like a bad stinky Benning fart because maybe we'd have a bit less of a buyout hit is the most Dave Nonis-y stuff imaginable.

This is the reality. The Canucks need to wring out every last bit of capspace value they can get over the next 3-4 seasons because the time is now to strike.

Hand out that extra year(s) to Zadorov to bring the AAV down. Do what you need to, to unload Mikheyev. And first round picks be damned. This is the time to go for it.

Honestly I don't know what they were thinking to pay another middling winger $5m on a 5-year deal with the cap headaches they already had from Benning. At least Mikheyev is solid defensively and should improve next year but if you need the space for other, more important players, it's a no brainer.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if management will chase Guentzel and trade away Mik and let Joshua walk to make it happen. We could run with 3 pairs with Guentzel.
Miller - Boeser
Petey - Guentzel
Lindholm - Garland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad