Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Rather have Joshua at 4 than Guenztel (who is 2 years older) at 9 or 10 or whatever he's seeking.
Or maybe it would be sacrilegious to suggest this but we could run
Miller - Boeser
Petey - Guentzel
Lindholm - Joshua

And you trade Mik and Garland to make it happen. We would have 3 lines that can defend and score.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
A name that hasn't really been put out is Soucy in the off-season for a trade. Unlike Mikheyev who right now has probably negative value due to his contract, Soucy has been good for us and would probably be able to be moved for assets.

If you keep Zadorov they are pretty set on the left side. He makes 3.25m. Add that to Mikheyev's 4.475. You can free up 7.725m. Plus, by moving Soucy for assets, you recoup some picks that would need to be moved out for the Mikheyev move.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
A name that hasn't really been put out is Soucy in the off-season for a trade. Unlike Mikheyev who right now has probably negative value due to his contract, Soucy has been good for us and would probably be able to be moved for assets.

If you keep Zadorov they are pretty set on the left side. He makes 3.25m. Add that to Mikheyev's 4.475. You can free up 7.725m. Plus, by moving Soucy for assets, you recoup some picks that would need to be moved out for the Mikheyev move.
Soucy is good value for contract. That’s a hard pill to swallow moving him.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

It’s not out there because you aren’t trading an excellent value contract at a position of need.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Why would we even consider trading Soucy unless a team made a comically stupid offer? 3.25M for another two seasons is a damn steal for what he's brought. No asset we'd acquire would remotely be better than Soucy himself.

How are we set on the left side without Soucy? We don't have any prospects anywhere near his level nor are you going down find someone cheaper.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that's crazy talk

let's keep our underperforming contracts and trade away our overperforming contracts said no team ever.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
It’s not out there because you aren’t trading an excellent value contract at a position of need.
Why would we even consider trading Soucy unless a team made a comically stupid offer? 3.25M for another two seasons is a damn steal for what he's brought. No asset we'd acquire would remotely be better than Soucy himself.

How are we set on the left side without Soucy? We don't have any prospects anywhere near his level nor are you going down find someone cheaper.
that's crazy talk

let's keep our underperforming contracts and trade away our overperforming contracts said no team ever.
Soucy right now is 5th in TOI/GP. Tochett clearly prefers Zadorov over him. Soucy also has a pretty significant injury history.

Right now, Soucy is the on the 3rd pairing defense and basically has been this entire season (got injured early and then Zadorov came in). That's 3.25m to play 17:30 minutes a night. Compared to Zadorov's 20 minutes a night in the playoffs.

Is Soucy a good defenseman? Yes.
If you keep Zadorov are you playing Soucy over him? No.

It's a wild proposal sure, but they need to get creative to keep some of their guys who are playoff preformers.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Soucy right now is 5th in TOI/GP. Tochett clearly prefers Zadorov over him. Soucy also has a pretty significant injury history.

Right now, Soucy is the on the 3rd pairing defense and basically has been this entire season (got injured early and then Zadorov came in). That's 3.25m to play 17:30 minutes a night. Compared to Zadorov's 20 minutes a night in the playoffs.

It's a wild proposal sure, but they need to get creative to keep some of their guys who are playoff preformers.
Yeah it’s not really that crazy of an idea. He missed 42 games this year and with him gone, we were still pretty good.
It really depends what we get for him and who we replace him with and at what price.

If we are trading Soucy to free up cap to get Tanev then that’s not a bad thing.

Hughes- Hronek
Zadorov - Tanev
????? - ?????

Reactions: JohnHodgson and WTG

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah it’s not really that crazy of an idea. He missed 42 games this year and with him gone, we were still pretty good.
It really depends what we get for him and who we replace him with and at what price.

If we are trading Soucy to free up cap to get Tanev then that’s not a bad thing.

Hughes- Hronek
Zadorov - Tanev
????? - ?????
Pretty good but we were unbeaten for like 16 games with him in the lineup early in the year. He's generally made a pretty big difference.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Why trade Soucy?

Hughes, Zadorov, Soucy down the left means the ice time is more spread out during the regular season.

Most likely Juulsen is going to earn the 6th spot and we would want to have Soucy to cover for him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Pretty good but we were unbeaten for like 16 games with him in the lineup early in the year. He's generally made a pretty big difference.
Well I am not saying he is a bad player. I am just saying it’s not that crazy of an idea. Getting assets for Soucy and using the same cap or a bit more to get Tanev is something worth considering especially if we can extend Zadorov to replace Soucy.
I am guessing it’s not that hard to find a bottom paring LD. We would miss his size and physicality though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Who are you getting to replace him though? We paid Cole 3M to essentially fill the role Soucy settled into only after Zadorov took off. Let's not forget Big Z had more than a few stretches where he didn't look anywhere close to a #3. There's a reason it's only more recently everyone is okay with signing him to 5M when that sounded ridiculous three months ago.

What's made us good this season is our depth. Trading Soucy and filling that spot with a cheap 1.5-2M plug will hurt in the long haul. There's no way teams are going to offer more than a 2nd or a decent prospect--neither of which do anything for us.

Reactions: Vector and JAK

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Who are you getting to replace him though? We paid Cole 3M to essentially fill the role Soucy settled into only after Zadorov took off. Let's not forget Big Z had more than a few stretches where he didn't look anywhere close to a #3. There's a reason it's only more recently everyone is okay with signing him to 5M when that sounded ridiculous three months ago.

What's made us good this season is our depth. Trading Soucy and filling that spot with a cheap 1.5-2M plug will hurt in the long haul. There's no way teams are going to offer more than a 2nd or a decent prospect--neither of which do anything for us.
Our cap situation is different next year and we will need to make sacrifice somewhere.
We’ll need to ice a bunch of ELC or lost cost bets in D or in the bottom 6.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Well I am not saying he is a bad player. I am just saying it’s not that crazy of an idea. Getting assets for Soucy and using the same cap or a bit more to get Tanev is something worth considering especially if we can extend Zadorov to replace Soucy.
I am guessing it’s not that hard to find a bottom paring LD. We would miss his size and physicality though.

Having a bottom pair LD means more stress on Hughes and Zadorov for match ups. For a lower cap hit LD, you will find offensive black holes or defensively challenged skaters, or someone who isn't a threat at either end of the ice that you can't play against other team's top 6/9 forwards.

Keeping Soucy will allow Zadorov to stay away from offensive stars that can expose him, and physically punish players he face.

Our cap situation is different next year and we will need to make sacrifice somewhere.

I'm not sure Soucy is where you make the sacrifice.

Mikheyev is surely standing at the front lines for that.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

zadorov played 9 seconds more than soucy last game. this season soucy averaged 17:29 and zadorov averaged 17:04 with the canucks.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Having a bottom pair LD means more stress on Hughes and Zadorov for match ups. For a lower cap hit LD, you will find offensive black holes or defensively challenged skaters, or someone who isn't a threat at either end of the ice that you can't play against other team's top 6/9 forwards.

Keeping Soucy will allow Zadorov to stay away from offensive stars that can expose him, and physically punish players he face.
Like I said, it depends on who we are replacing Soucy with. Getting Tanev as a UFA in return would mean the shutdown matchup will shift to whatever pair Tanev is on.
Soucy plays like 18 min a night, that’s not really THAT much to think we can’t replace. If management thinks their pro scouting is on point and they can get a cheaper guy that can eat up 18 then I think it’s fine.
Of course there are a lot of assumptions.
1) somebody will give us something worthwhile for Soucy
2) we can get Tanev
3) management can identify a low cost replacement for Soucy.

I'm not sure Soucy is where you make the sacrifice.

Mikheyev is surely standing at the front lines for that.
Oh mik is most likely going to be sacrificed. The problem is even if we sacrifice him, it won’t be enough.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Like I said, it depends on who we are replacing Soucy with. Getting Tanev as a UFA in return would mean the shutdown matchup will shift to whatever pair Tanev is on.
Soucy plays like 18 min a night, that’s not really THAT much to think we can’t replace. If management thinks their pro scouting is on point and they can get a cheaper guy that can eat up 18 then I think it’s fine.
Of course there are a lot of assumptions.
1) somebody will give us something worthwhile for Soucy
2) we can get Tanev
3) management can identify a low cost replacement for Soucy.

Oh mik is most likely going to be sacrificed. The problem is even if we sacrifice him, it won’t be enough.

What is stopping Tanev from signing a low cap contract and be paired with Soucy as a defacto shut down pair?

In fact,

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Tanev
Soucy - Myers
Juulsen

Wouldnt be too bad, if Cole wants to return with league min, that would be swell too.

Let Allvin cook and we will see what happens.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

That sacrifice comes with letting DeSmith, Cole and potentially Blueger walk while trading Mikheyev for nothing. I'd prefer keeping Blueger if possible but we have an alternative with him in Suter. We don't with Soucy. Sure, if you find one, then it opens the door but I still don't think it's something they're consider.

You also have to consider Juulsen will get a good look next season. Better to pair him with a defensively responsible player like Soucy than a cheap journeyman. Even getting Tanev doesn't necessarily make Soucy expendable because they play different positions.

It really all boils down to the demands our UFAs have. I love what Zadorov's brought but money truck jokes aside, he's realistically a 5M-ish player. If he wants say, 6x6, that's just too rich. I worry it'll become Myers 2.0 all over again. Same with Hronek and 8M+. If he sticks to that, then we seriously consider moving him and fitting everyone else in isn't an issue.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
What is stopping Tanev from signing a low cap contract and be paired with Soucy as a defacto shut down pair?
The cap. We won’t have the cap to improve the forward group.

Like I said, the cap situation is going to be tight and sacrifices will need to be made somewhere.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The cap. We won’t have the cap to improve the forward group.

Like I said, the cap situation is going to be tight and sacrifices will need to be made somewhere.

That's assuming Hronek gets what his agent wants. He's been quiet for like 70 games now

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That sacrifice comes with letting DeSmith, Cole and potentially Blueger walk while trading Mikheyev for nothing. I'd prefer keeping Blueger if possible but we have an alternative with him in Suter. We don't with Soucy. Sure, if you find one, then it opens the door but I still don't think it's something they're consider.

You also have to consider Juulsen will get a good look next season. Better to pair him with a defensively responsible player like Soucy than a cheap journeyman. Even getting Tanev doesn't necessarily make Soucy expendable because they play different positions.

It really all boils down to the demands our UFAs have. I love what Zadorov's brought but money truck jokes aside, he's realistically a 5M-ish player. If he wants say, 6x6, that's just too rich. I worry it'll become Myers 2.0 all over again. Same with Hronek and 8M+. If he sticks to that, then we seriously consider moving him and fitting everyone else in isn't an issue.
If you go to capfriendly and play around, there is simply not enough money if we want to keep Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua and get a winger for Petey.
So the question will be, where do we cut? Mik, Garland and Soucy could all be potentially play not because they suck but because the cap demands it. I think we are all like whatever when it comes to Mik but there will probably be hard decisions when it comes to Garland and Soucy.
Like if we can get Gunetzel and Tanev along with Z, Lindholm and Joshua back, would trading Soucy and Garland be worth it? I would lean towards yeah.

That's assuming Hronek gets what his agent wants. He's been quiet for like 70 games now
It’s not just Hronek, even if you bake in his cap at 7 it’s still tight.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015

Whatever you do on the roster you are going to lose a good player. The canucks have 6 holes to fill in forward and only have 3 defenders signed. If the team wants to make room, it's going to have to come at the cost of depth.

This off-season comes at the cost of "which arm do you want to chop off." If they want to keep Zadorov, Soucy might be the arm that gets lobbed off.

Either way, I am kind of excited about next year's team because we will get to see a bunch of young players. Mostly to do with them not being able to afford anything but that's another question. :laugh:

Reactions: JohnHodgson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad