Buyout Mikhayev

Free agency

Toffoli 5.25 x 1
Tanev 3.5 x 2
Edmundson 1.25 x 1

Reactions: TruGr1t

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Please trade with LA. Blake is a dead man walking and typically 80% of the damage that bad GM's do is in the last year before they get fired. Con him into another age gap trade he loves those, Hronek for Clarke.

Ottawa's hockey ops clearly has no clue what they're doing given they're about to hire Green so ditto the above. Get prepped to move on the trade requests that will be rolling in two months into their next season. We missed taking advantage of Jarmo before he got canned, let's not miss this chance too.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
my off season would look like this.....

Hronek 6.5 x 4
Zadorov 4.9 x 6
Lindholm 6.85 x 6
Silovs 1.2 x 2
Buyout Mikhayev

Free agency

Toffoli 5.25 x 1
Tanev 3.5 x 2
Edmundson 1.25 x 1
we're already too soft IMO. losing Joshua to keep Lindholm is a mistake. Blueger and Joshua combined likely cost what you're paying Lindholm.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Hronek 6.5 x 4
Zadorov 4.9 x 6
Lindholm 6.85 x 6
Silovs 1.2 x 2
Buyout Mikhayev

Free agency

Toffoli 5.25 x 1
Tanev 3.5 x 2
Edmundson 1.25 x 1

Buying out Mikheyev doesn't make sense to me. We'd be carrying almost 7M in dead cap the season after next. Which basically kills any chance of us re-signing Boeser.

It'd be better to retain on him if we absolutely had to, though I don't think it'll cost us much. Teams like Chicago or San Jose aren't going to be competitive any team soon. Toss them a 3rd or hell, even a 2nd and call it done.

Toffoli definitely will want term. He took the sweetheart deal with the Habs because they were the only team offering him four years. I think we could get him to do the same. Just front load the salary so if he does fall off in the latter years, we can buy him out without any issue.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Man, where is this sudden turnaround on Lindholm coming from? Pump the brakes guys. He's had a nice first round, but only 3 points in 6 games, and the prevailing narrative on him after the trade wasn't exactly glowing. And for good reason. Let's see how he does in a more open series against Edmonton. His performance overall from the past couple seasons and the fact he's pushing 30 doesn't exactly scream re-sign to me. This guy is not a $7m player.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Hronek 6.5 x 4
Zadorov 4.9 x 6
Lindholm 6.85 x 6
Silovs 1.2 x 2
Buyout Mikhayev

Free agency

Toffoli 5.25 x 1
Tanev 3.5 x 2
Edmundson 1.25 x 1

That's about the most I'd spend on Hronek. I doubt he would take that, though. Rest look good, though word is Tanev will be closer to $5M AAV following his awesome performance against Vegas.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Man, where is this sudden turnaround on Lindholm coming from? Pump the brakes guys. He's had a nice first round, but only 3 points in 6 games, and the prevailing narrative on him after the trade wasn't exactly glowing. And for good reason. Let's see how he does in a more open series against Edmonton. His performance overall from the past couple seasons and the fact he's pushing 30 doesn't exactly scream re-sign to me. This guy is not a $7m player.
I don’t get it either. This is a guy who’s regressed in each of the last 2 seasons and is more like a middle 6 player than an elite forward. That’s after coming off a couple of seasons playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk, two elite players.

Lindholm is not a $7M+ player. There are definitely teams that might still think he is and give him that contract, but I guarantee he does not live up to those numbers. He’s primed for a massive overpayment this summer and I’d probably stay far away unless he signs a team friendly deal, which he 100% won’t.

Lindholm should walk. Mikheyev dumped. Hronek traded at his asking price. They’ve got a lot of cap and potential for more and they can really set themselves up down the road if they get these contracts right.

The only 2-3 players I want returning next season are Joshua, Zadorov, and Blueger, in that order. The rest can walk. Cole if he’s willing to sign for $1M ish. There are a bunch of cheaper alternatives and potential to obtain some key players from cap strapped teams.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
None of them play with the kind of player you're suggesting we lump Hughes with. (Except maybe Dahlin but buffalo isn't a playoff team.)

Hughes best season came playing with a decent partner as opposed to rookie or journeyman fodder.
At first his best season was played with Tanev, then with Schenn, then with Hronek, do you see a patteren here? Each year he improved regardless of partner. As would be expected as a player gains experience.
But are you saying he would be a bad player if he isn't playing with Hronek?
Those other players I named all have had rookies as partners during the year even though they themselves were newbies, they just played with everyone.
Doughty, who is attached to his hip? And the others? Makar had his great season before Toews.
Most often those that play with the star dman have good years in the case of Toews he was pretty much a 25/30 pt player until he got to play with Makar.
So it is quite possible it isn't the partner that makes the player good, but the player himself.
Although in Hughes case the partner does make up the defensive part of the game.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The title of the thread does say fantasy.
They haven't even finished the second round yet.

Many suggestions here ignore age or whether the player named wants to return to this market anymore.
Do you not think if the Canucks wanted Tanev that badly they could not have traded for him at the TDL?
Ditto Toffoli?
They could have put Demko on LTIR and had the space.

I wasn't thrilled with the Lindholm trade on a few levels, the obvious favouritism of Tocchet being one. He just never thought Kuzmenko was taking the game serious enough that is why the media helped by posting all those workouts in the Caribbean stories with the caveat of "If that works" and "he sure is having fun while his teammates stayed home and worked hard"

A coach controls a player's output with time on ice, deployment, assignment of roles and line mates. EP production went down as soon as Kuzmenko was removed from his line. And more after Kuz was traded and they could concentrate on just two scoring lines, one being much weaker after.

That's done now but another aspect was the first round pick. I kinda looked at that as a add on for the Zadorov trade, a ridiculous one sided trade for the Canucks.

Forgotten a lot is that the team is still paying OEL and he gets a raise to 2.37 mil.

Joshua vs Mikheyev, both had the same points although different styles. Joshua's break out of 32 points doesn't warrant a 3+ mil contract. He got a mere 9 points more than last year but this year he had Tocchet championing him due to being a "good soldier" and the type of game he played.

Forget all these FA's out there that aren't here now, this team got to the 2nd round and are still far from being annual contenders. As was pointed out on a TO show, "do you expect Tavares to be back in September and be a faster player?" a question about his age degrading his skills.

The parts of this team now that are clearly carrying the load is defence.

The cap still controls much of what the team can do.

Promotions from the farm HAVE to be made to regain some cap space.

Right now the team has no rookie defencemen on it and look around the league to see how many rookie defencemen are making an impact in the playoffs.

Trading Hronek is necessary UNLESS Hughes has made it known he wants to go play with his brothers in 2 years and then Hronek is his replacement along with Willander. 2 years because he would have more trade value with one more year on his contract.

I would try to keep the defence intact but not at 7.5 to 8.5 a season for Hronek. It could be done but bye bye Cole.

To keep the defence intact without spending too much extra cap.

Myer's 6 mil goes to Zadorov, Zadorov's 3.75 goes to Myers, Cole's 3 goes to Hronek adding to his 4.4 mil taking him to 7.4 mil, add EP and Juulsen, Soucy is good for another year. Keeping Cole would be nice if he accepted a low ball offer but he will get more from some other team. BAM, almost the exact same 5th best D corp in the league kept intact and will get better with more games together and not adding to the cap hit for the defence group or no by much.

At forward to get quality, quality needs to be traded. To improve trade experience for potential.
Anyone who has watched the Canucks will see that Boeser has plateaued and is very reliant on Miller and the PP for points. He is doing okay to good for him in the playoffs but then the system has slowed for him, he is usually F3 meaning he doesn't have to work as hard and has time to coast into shooting lanes. And at 28 next season the team could use a faster player that can hit or tries harder to hit.

There will be a couple of teams that will want some experienced guys who have been on struggling teams that have improved. Boeser would have more value to them.

The season isn't over yet, this is fantasy so why not trade for Drasaitl, Mathews or Jack Hughes?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Which is the problem. Tocchet just seems obsessed with the three center idea despite it not being a good long term solution. We were pretty mediocre after the allstar break. Not bad by any means just decidedly average outside of a few spots. Us finishing top of the division was in large part to how insane we started. Everyone was popping off with shooting percentages they likely won't keep.

Even squeezing very team friendly deals for the likes of Tanev (3.25M), Joshua (3M), Toffoli (4.25M), I just couldn't fit everyone in. We're either losing Lindholm, Zadorov or Joshua on the UFA side. Or we're trading Hronek. Moving Garland makes zero sense now.

In my opinion, Joshua and Zadorov should be the main priority. I'm hoping we can get them to take longer dollar amounts in exchange for term. Give Joshua 4-5 years and maybe 3M is doable. Same with Zadorov at the 4.5/5M range.

From there, we need to look at the possibility of Guentzel, or the lesser option in Toffoli or Bertuzzi. If we can nap any one of them, that takes a higher precedence than Lindholm imo.
In this scenario you sell high on Garland and dump Mikheyev. Nobody is going to want to hear it but if you can ice a roster with Guentzel, Lindholm, Zadorov, Hronek, Joshua, Tanev because of it you do it. Can you get all those guys for $37 million?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
How good would McCann look on this team rn?

EP40
for
McCann and Beniers

Who says no?

Out = 11.6M
In = 5.9M

5.7 M savings to add another top 6

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I don’t get it either. This is a guy who’s regressed in each of the last 2 seasons and is more like a middle 6 player than an elite forward. That’s after coming off a couple of seasons playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk, two elite players.

Lindholm is not a $7M+ player. There are definitely teams that might still think he is and give him that contract, but I guarantee he does not live up to those numbers. He’s primed for a massive overpayment this summer and I’d probably stay far away unless he signs a team friendly deal, which he 100% won’t.

Lindholm should walk. Mikheyev dumped. Hronek traded at his asking price. They’ve got a lot of cap and potential for more and they can really set themselves up down the road if they get these contracts right.

The only 2-3 players I want returning next season are Joshua, Zadorov, and Blueger, in that order. The rest can walk. Cole if he’s willing to sign for $1M ish. There are a bunch of cheaper alternatives and potential to obtain some key players from cap strapped teams.
The Ghost of GMJB.

Spooky.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’d hope they take a run at Toffoli to give Pettersson a skilled finisher to play with. They had chemistry before, Petey wanted him to stay and he wanted to be here - a reunion would be good and hopefully not onerously expensive.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I’d hope they take a run at Toffoli to give Pettersson a skilled finisher to play with. They had chemistry before, Petey wanted him to stay and he wanted to be here - a reunion would be good and hopefully not onerously expensive.
I'd he comes cheap I'd be down but he's been looking awfully slow lately. I'd prefer him as a "backup" option if we can't manage to get anyone better.

Reactions: Tact

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Scared of age + already slow skater.

Reactions: Tact

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
No thanks on Toffoli. 1, he's going back to LA. 2, I'd much rather use that cap space to add some pace. We are already too slow as a team.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Domi looked lost for part of the season but really picked it up. He would fit well on EP line. He could sign for 3.5-4 M

Hog-EP-Domi would be good.

If Dak signs try him too.

Dak-EP-Domi. Thats a good mix of skill, size and grit.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I’d take a serious look at Matt Roy in the offseason. Throw a decent offer to him of 4.5m for 6 years and see if he bites. I would feel pretty secure in shopping Hronek if we had Roy signed. Still hopeful we can get Tanev back for 2-3 years also as a stop gap to Willander. But honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he stays in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad