Canucks for real?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are the Canucks for real? Playoff team? Beat the Kings, Ducks and Oilers, Coyotes and Colorado. On a roll?
I mean, they could sneak into the playoffs (half the league makes it anyway), but they aren't for real and will be first round fodder. It is positive some of the young guys would lead them (mainly Horvat and Baertschi), but making it instead of finishing bottom 5 is probably a disservice to them long-term.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Congratulations to the Canucks for a nice run to move back into position and prompt a legitimate question. When I consider questions like this, I go look at goal differential. Positive goal diff. teams almost always get in. Negative goal diff. teams almost always miss. Yes, there are exceptions - hence the "almost" always. At this point, sample size is a non-issue.

Vancouver is -16 currently. Calgary at -3 is currently in. Nashville at +1 is currently out. Maybe those are this years Western Conf. exceptions. Sorry, but I don't see Vancouver as an exception also.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
As a Canucks fan, no. We're just not bad enough to be one of the crappiest 5 teams, Horvat and Baertschi are playing too well for that to happen. The rest of the team is just meh.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Looking past Baertschi and Horvat we're terrible. They're so good that they actually make us half decent.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Nope. Sadly the Aquilinis will think it's real and will further prolong the necessary changes.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
There's some great, there's quite a bit of meh, and then there's quite a bit of bad.

Mix that together and you have a frustrating team that won't get you an elite player in the draft but won't get you anywhere near the postseason.

Although, who knows? The Pacific division is bad this year, so anything can happen.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Yes,they're for real.

They need to trade some draft picks for some solid veteran help.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I really don't want to see the Canucks make the playoffs. They need a rebuild

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
None of the teams we've beaten in this hot streak are super good anyway. I'm happy to see the team playing well but I don't expect a lot.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Don't fall into the trap some Devils' fans did.

Expect a 10 game losing streak now.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Are the Canucks for real? Playoff team? Beat the Kings, Ducks and Oilers, Coyotes and Colorado. On a roll?

Wow they beat the bottom two teams in the league? Crazy.

It's a mini hot streak, they'll come back to Earth soon enough.

Freakin' world beaters right here.

Exactly. Most people say its a 5 game win streak, but I consider it a 3 game win streak. Beating Colorado and Arizona means nothing to me.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
They are "for real" not the worst team in the league, as many assumed they would be at the beginning of the season.

But they're not a good team... and only a critical injury or two away from going into freefall.

But as it stands, once again they are conforming to the pattern they have shown since the inception of the franchise. Even when they're bad, they can't outsuck the worst of the worst.

At least their recent "success" has been due largely to young players who will be the core of the team in 5-ish years. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

I expect they'll miss the playoffs and pick somewhere between 7-12 in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00