Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets | 5-0 (Miller, Hoglander, Pettersson, Di Giuseppe, Suter) | Shot Down in Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
^ everyone forgetting the flat cap era is (nearly) done.

Let’s do our best to forget about it, it was weird watching very good players leave for peanuts because they were overpaid by like a million.
How do you see the NHL squeezing more revenue out of the game? Advertising on players' gear? On the ice? Roulette wheels on top of the nets and a linesman spins the wheel before every faceoff?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
How do you see the NHL squeezing more revenue out of the game? Advertising on players' gear? On the ice? Roulette wheels on top of the nets and a linesman spins the wheel before every faceoff?
Expansion team after expansion team after expansion team after expansion team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Expansion team after expansion team after expansion team after expansion team.

1710060187222.gif

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

The earth is overpopulated by humans and it grows every day, sports are basically just modern gladiator battles, really, which serve as a distraction to how bad the working class is exploited to keep complacency up.

How do you expand? Back in the day, they had to take trains to games which was highly impractical and time-consuming, which makes it revenue-exhaustive. That’s really the answer. Technology and infrastructure. The moment it takes us the same time to Tokyo as it does to Florida via plane today, is the day they expand to Japan, for example.

There are numerous ways to grow from here, and they have people smarter and more creative than me for that. I’m honestly surprised Musk hasn’t bought a team, it’s basically a free money machine. Then I realize he’s kind of a dolt and it makes sense.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The fees aren’t where the money is, $20 million to these people is like $500 to me and you. It’s with merch, concessions, gate revenue, etc. Which are HRR.
Imagine being offered an apartment that you could rent out with positive cash flow and instead of having to pay for it you would get portion of the apartments value as cash payment just to take the apartment.

Thats what an expansion team is for the league.

Reactions: Indiana

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Imagine being offered an apartment that you could rent out with positive cash flow and instead of having to pay for it you would get portion of the apartments value as cash payment just to take the apartment.

Thats what an expansion team is for the league.

The thing is, there are 32 NHL teams which is the highest number of franchises in any major 4 leagues in NA, and hockey is by far the least popular. You have to wonder about unsustainable growth, which has become a more endemic issue in NA thanks to Reaganomics. Sports I don’t think faces the same problems as other businesses - it’s a huge part of NA culture and demand is only going to trend more inelastic in the future as I predict the wealth inequality grows further, billionaires are going to dump tons of their resources into the sport market basket.

An expansion fee payout for an owner basically amounts to if you ever got those gov’t carbon tax rebates of $125 every 3 months. It’s a nice chunk of change to do something a little nice, but it’s not world changing.

Reactions: Indiana and calnuck

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
The Canucks paid to have Zad be on after-hours and be super-likeable so they won't get as much flack for signing him for too much during the off-season.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Sticking with your current roster through the TDL is clearly a vote of confidence. I imagine management explicitly expressed that within the locker room. No coincidence that one of their best games came after that.

It’s also hedging a bet that the early acquisitions of Zadorov and Lindholm will help them acclimatize to team chemistry before the playoffs, whereas other teams might still be recovering from major surgery.

Major story though is Demko. I still think he is our key difference maker in round 1 and round 2 and barring a head-to-head with the Jets likely the best goaltender in any western matchup.

Ideally this was just a preventative pull. Wouldn’t be shocked if we lean on DeSmith the rest of this homestand and give Silovs some games too though. Wake up call that they need Demko to be healthy going into the playoffs.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
His opinion on current events is very brave. He’s my fiancées favourite player because of it. She says he gives her hope that other Russians also oppose the war.
Good for him. It takes guts. The friend who buys my hockey tickets and I are in a bit of a battle right now. I am advocating for Nato to tell Russia that they are going to make the Ukraine a full member in about 6 months. Before the next winter, and before there is any chance of the tangerine turd being elected and kneeing down to Putin. He says "but tactical nukes". My response - so the west should have just walked away when Hitler went into Poland? This prick needs to be dealt with, and avoiding the confrontation is just what the asshole wants.

I went on this rant on Facebook, got a few interesting responses. I want Putin dealt with, whatever the cost. The Ukraine should not have to stand alone.

Edit - ok just listened to the interview. I want this guy back. What a class act. He could be more valuable to the team than Hronek, and thats saying a bit. (And I was unhappy with the Hronek trade, and I was dead wrong. He has been worth what we paid. I hope we can afford to re-sign him.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad