Rumor: Canucks confirm that Zadorov will be hitting the market on July 1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I have zero issues with what the Canucks gave up to get Lindholm and Zadorov as rentals. Helped raise the team's ceiling for the season and identify where they need to improve in the next few seasons. The worst part for me was giving up the late 1st, but I feel a slight overpayment was needed to dump the Kuzmenko contract. They paid extra to clean up their mistake of signing him to that extension.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Toronto is in desperate need of size in the backend. Tre will overpay to get him.

I’m coming around to the idea of overpaying him. I’d really rather not see him go to Boston and have to face him in the playoffs going forward. Some defensemen play their best hockey in their early 30s and the man is a mutant. And if it’s a mistake at least he’s an entertaining one.

Reactions: Petrus and Z Guy

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I’m coming around to the idea of overpaying him. I’d really rather not see him go to Boston and have to face him in the playoffs going forward. Some defensemen play their best hockey in their early 30s and the man is a mutant. And if it’s a mistake at least he’s an entertaining one.
Zadorov's idea of a discount was over the 5 million he was offered in Vancouver.
He's a perfectly fine #5 who has flashes of higher levels, he's going to get paid like a top #3 and will be expected to perform like one.
Don't see this ending well.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think Zadorov signs with Tampa. The Guentzel rumor is just a smoke screen to get Stamkos to lower his asking price. They'll use their cap space to improve their defense.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Zadorov's idea of a discount was over the 5 million he was offered in Vancouver.
He's a perfectly fine #5 who has flashes of higher levels, he's going to get paid like a top #3 and will be expected to perform like one.
Don't see this ending well.

He was 3rd in ice time on the Canucks this postseason. Seems like he's a solid 2nd pair guy in the playoffs. Which is really what Boston and Toronto care about.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He was 3rd in ice time on the Canucks this postseason. Seems like he's a solid 2nd pair guy in the playoffs. Which is really what Boston and Toronto care about.
You are paid for regular season imo.
He was used 17 mins a game against weaker lines and did fine, not 6 million level.
Maybe at 29 he's hit a new level that we just saw, or maybe like many before him it was just a small sample size at the right time?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It is interesting Rick Dhaliwal who is connected to Zadorov's agent said earlier today that neither term nor salary is the hang up with him resigning with the Canucks.

Travel, Taxes, Sunshine?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
My guess he ends up $5.5 over 5 years somewhere. Will someone go $6 for 5? Maybe. Think they’d much rather pursue a couple of others before Zadorov though.

So he’d be smart NOT to overplay his hand Monday, and end up like Tarasenko. There’s only so much money out there and teams don’t wait around. They may throw $5.5 x 5 to 3-4 players and point blank say, whoever takes it first, gets it and then we rescind the offer to those other players. That happens twice and he’s holding out for $6 million over 6 years, real quick the market is gonna say nobody has more that $4 million over 3 years. Then in a week someone has a $5 million for 1 year slot, type thing.

It goes really fast too. Teams just wanna get it over with and there’s very few players (Stamkos, Kane) teams may wait around for a decision from. Zadorov won’t be one of those players.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
It is interesting Rick Dhaliwal who is connected to Zadorov's agent said earlier today that neither term nor salary is the hang up with him resigning with the Canucks.

Travel, Taxes, Sunshine?
He could also be looking for a destination where he's sure to be a Top 4 D-man, maybe even slide into a top pair. With Hughes eating as many minutes as possible and and him competing with Soucy for what's left, it's not ideal for him.

So the reason why he ended up #3 in ice time is because he was often paired with Myers (who was #4 in TOI in the PO). Soucy was the one assigned to babysit Cole/Juulsen who were having a very bad time in the playoffs and needed to be sheltered, so by process of elimination Z got more TOI. He did well with the opportunity, but in the regular season he was actually #6 in TOI so it's hard to gauge if he'd fare well getting 20+ minutes/night over a year.

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
These f***in GM's man......so dumb with the shit they say sometimes.

Insulting to the player insinuating he's not worth what he's asking. Just say you couldn't reach a deal...plus it's not like this guy or everyother GM has never 'overpaid' for a player.
You'll get over it. Seems like you're taking it pretty personally.

Reactions: Leafshater67

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
What is with this tact from you?
Allvin didn't have to say that they weren't going to overpay. Messaging for the public, which is fair to call out.
You will also get over it. I could care less what he says. Just ice a competitive team which happened in their second season. If fans have hurt feeling about shit like this, they are pretty thin skinned. 5 x 5 is a generous offer for a guy that is a 4/5 D man, and I like this player. I would have gone 7 years and kept it under 5 per for cap reasons but I'm willing to concede Allvin knows a fair bit more about the game than me and 99.8 % of the fellas that post here, possibly even yourself. 😂

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What is with this tact from you?

You will also get over it. I could care less what he says. Just ice a competitive team which happened in their second season. If fans have hurt feeling about shit like this, they are pretty thin skinned. 5 x 5 is a generous offer for a guy that is a 4/5 D man, and I like this player. I would have gone 7 years and kept it under 5 per for cap reasons but I'm willing to concede Allvin knows a fair bit more about the game than me and 99.8 % of the fellas that post here, possibly even yourself. 😂

I don't mind that they let him walk. This is about messaging contract insights to the public needlessly.

Even you can understand that positioning Zadorov as a greedy SOB is poor form for future negotiations with other players? This stuff matters, and the fans getting over it (thank you for instruction there BTW) is completely besides the point: It shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Travel, Taxes, Sunshine?

Doesn't like the museums in Vancouver.

"I mean the Art Gallery in Vancouver is okay, if you like that sort of neoclassical thing. Personally I'm into more exciting modernist trends. I mean Gehry reimagined Toronto's Art Gallery and the results are spectacular. I also have time for Libeskind's addition to the ROM."

• Haha
Reactions: JoeMc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad