Rumor: Canes working on Slavin Extension

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Not ideal to sign a guy until he’s 38, but if that’s the AAV I can’t really complain at all.
Really gives us money to play with on the back end with a Burns replacement most likely coming in at more than Burns is at currently as well as the potential for a big contract to Nikishin sooner than later if he really hits the ground running.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I dont understand why people thing this. A 38 YO at the twilight of his career making 6.5 right now is bad, but in 6 years 6.5 will be 2nd/3rd pair tweener money and certainly Slavin will still be that.

Yeah, I agree with all of this save for maybe the 2nd/3rd pair tweener money part, it'll likely still be more than that.

Doesn't change the fact that if he doesn't age well, this contract doesn't age well.

Also doesn't change the fact that I'm psyched to sign this deal because I do think he'll age well.

So... not sure what you're disagreeing with.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Welp, better hope he ages well!

If he does - what a steal.

If he doesn't - Vlasic.
Definitely something to worry about on any long team deal given to someone that’s already 30. Worth the gamble.

Thankfully this deal already hurts less than the Vlasic contract. For comparisons sake…

Cap was at 75M when Vlasic signed his 8 years at 7M per year deal. So starting point was 9.3% of the cap.

I imagine the cap will be around $91M when Slavin’s deal starts in the 25-26 season. At 6.5M per, we’re looking at him taking 7.1% of our cap space. I imagine year 8 we’re at a $120M salary cap and he’s only taking up 5.4% of the cap.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yeah, I agree with all of this save for maybe the 2nd/3rd pair tweener money part, it'll likely still be more than that.

Doesn't change the fact that if he doesn't age well, this contract doesn't age well.

Also doesn't change the fact that I'm psyched to sign this deal because I do think he'll age well.

So... not sure what you're disagreeing with.
I just dont think he (baring some injury related issue which would be covered by LTIR) can fall off far enough for that number to be an issue 6 years from now. With the cap rising 6.5 wont be that much.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's certainly possible his play could drop off similar to Vlasic but as pointed out the contract will have much less of an impact. And as much as Vlasic was/is an issue, they were hurt more by having Karlsson, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, Hertl, etc all paid well and falling off or injured to various degrees. As I keep saying, just avoid tons of these long term deals, especially for guys in the higher age bracket, and we'll be fine even if he begins to fall off.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This is a no-brainer extension in many ways. 8 years to a 31 year old sounds scary on paper, but $6.5M a year is quite low-dollar for what he provides today, not dissimilar to $2.9M a year for Staal. A cap hit 500K less than the Vlasic contract during an ever-inflating salary cap? Even if Slavin ages into the bottom-pair at the end, salaries will have inflated enough that it won't hurt the team much, especially if they successfully develop young talent to succeed him.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I imagine as he ages he’ll get paired with someone that could make up for his decline in skating, similar to how Slavin himself is a weakness neutralizer for his partners. If he pans out well enough could see Slavin-Morrow being a great second pairing in 3 years.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I imagine as he ages he’ll get paired with someone that could make up for his decline in skating, similar to how Slavin himself is a weakness neutralizer for his partners. If he pans out well enough could see Slavin-Morrow being a great second pairing in 3 years.

Maybe even a 1st pair if Morrow overperforms.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Slavin reads plays is always in position and has a great stick. Even if his skating deteriorates, he'll still be a Glen Wesley type that is very effective.
One stat that always stuck with me was that Glen Wesley, even in the twilight of his career was the single most effective D-man in the NHL in shutting down Ovechkin at the height of his career. He really is a perfect model for what we should expect Slavin to look like as he ages.

If all the fancy defensive metrics we have today were around then, I have a feeling Wesley would have been much better known around the league and much more appreciated here. And after he retired, I remember tearing my hair out for years about trying to find another Glen Wesley type. Took a while, but turned out we got just that guy, on the ice and off.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
One stat that always stuck with me was that Glen Wesley, even in the twilight of his career was the single most effective D-man in the NHL in shutting down Ovechkin at the height of his career. He really is a perfect model for what we should expect Slavin to look like as he ages.

If all the fancy defensive metrics we have today were around then, I have a feeling Wesley would have been much better known around the league and much more appreciated here. And after he retired, I remember tearing my hair out for years about trying to find another Glen Wesley type. Took a while, but turned out we got just that guy, on the ice and off.
I still remember watching game 7 of the 2006 ECF via a season ticket holder who had upgraded and sold me his ticket (or an extra?) out front. It was my first time watching from behind the goal, and two defensemen stuck out with the way they moved to neutralize a rush that was developing.

One was Wesley with his anticipation, the other was Hedican with his speed.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean what are some complaining about? That the deal might not look like an absolute steal for us 7 years from now? I'll take at least 5 years of bargain elite level defensive play and roll the dice later on him. If you have a Slavin you lock him up as long as you can, there are 31 other teams in this league who would die to have someone like him in their fold.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
At the end of this projected contract he will have earned in excess of $90M.

He won't have to uproot his family, gets to live in a great family area and with a friendlyish deal will contribute to the Canes having $ to maintain a good roster.

From Slavin POV, no brainer for me even if a "discount".
And to add to this:

If there's one player and one contract where we should absolutely not complain about the likely NMC, it's this one.

Slavin wants to stay and be a foundation piece, he wants to keep his family in place here, and he is willing to take a discount to do it. You give him the NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad