Confirmed with Link: Canes re-sign Slavin 51.69M/8 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
8x6.95…

Yes there are some bad comparables out there from agents convincing teams to wildly overpay and give bad contracts to defensive dmen…. But have we forgotten what team he plays for?

As good as he is defensively and using his stick defensively without taking dumb stick infractions, especially for a dman, he still provides nowhere near top pair offense to warrant a crazy high end deal like a Hedman or Fox or Makar

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
8x6.95…

Yes there are some bad comparables out there from agents convincing teams to wildly overpay and give bad contracts to defensive dmen…. But have we forgotten what team he plays for?

As good as he is defensively and using his stick defensively without taking dumb stick infractions, especially for a dman, he still provides nowhere near top pair offense to warrant a crazy high end deal like a Hedman or Fox or Makar
Hedman (in his prime) Fox or Makar would get well north of $10 mil.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think it'll be fairly reasonable, especially with the expected cap rising landscape. I've said a number of times this type of (presumed) contract can be tough in the later years but you can handle one or two of them. Just don't get in that territory where you have like 6 or 7 older (or soon to be old) guys locked up to them or you're in for some pain. They've maintained that discipline so far and I hope they continue to do so. That's a big reason I've been against signing a guy like Pesce to anything even reomtely long term.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Hedman (in his prime) Fox or Makar would get well north of $10 mil.
Thus my prediction of 8x$6.95M instead of the comparable of someone like Nurse at $9M or more…. Or anything in the neighborhood of a high end top dman who has offense to go along with their minutes and d skill…. Oilers are in trouble with the cap now that Bouchard has developed this year and scored so much on the power play…. With Nurse and Ekholm on the books, if they don’t manage to pull off a comeback cup win, we might need to put a crazy package of extras with Necas for Drais as a not preposterous thing as they won’t be able to pay him as well without even more surgery on their roster given what McDavid is going to cost them….

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
8x6.95…

I also don't think it will be a break the bank extension. Yes, he is the best defensive defenseman in the entire National Hockey League. But players mostly get paid on offense. Slavin was 22nd in even strength points, which is very good but not amazing. He'll also be 31 to start his next deal.

I see 7 or 8 years at about $7M per.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Slavin is probably my favorite cane of this era. I have no doubt this gets done and is reasonable- I think the Borg sees him right there with aho and svechnikov as irreplaceable
agreed. it's not newsworthy unless the team is trying to generate some positive clicks leading up to free agency. slavin is the easiest resigning they will have this offseason. makes me think they anticipate losing a number of players including Guentzel this offseason. could be nothing to this but the Waddell thing and Dundo's oversized ego make me think this is going to be a disappointing summer. does anyone think the egghead Tulsky has any pull with dundo? I don't. I think there's a chance he f&cks the roster up badly because his ego gets in the way.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
in the most shocking twist since verbal kint straightened his gait, slavin signs for 8 x 8.325
Just what I saw in my old dreams. Were they reflections of my warped mind staring back at me?

"And with the 1st overall pick, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Rimouski Océanic, Sidney Crosby."
And I saw, and behold, a yellow and black horse, and he that sat thereon had a hockey stick --

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'd be shocked if Borg hands him a 8 year deal, for a contract that will start when he's 31. Only way I see a 8 year deal happening is if we get him at $6.5M or below. I'm gonna go 6 years at $7.25M.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the number will land somewhere in the 7s. The Toews 7x7.25m extension is probably a good comparable, they're the same age but his will kick in a year earlier. So I'll say we're looking at a 6-year deal and I'll go with the 7.4m aav idea just for fun.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Yeah put me down for 6 @ 7.5 or something similar. More respect to him than pretty much any player i’ve ever given but I just don’t think you can expect any team to offer a max term contract to a from ages 31-39 unless they’re a top 10 player in the league or thereabouts. He seems like the least likely player in the entire league to fight tooth and nail for highest dollar and Dundon has shown a willingness to not lowball his core guys and just get a favorable deal done for all parties involved.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think the number will land somewhere in the 7s. The Toews 7x7.25m extension is probably a good comparable, they're the same age but his will kick in a year earlier. So I'll say we're looking at a 6-year deal and I'll go with the 7.4m aav idea just for fun.
Toews is the best comparable I could find. Makes sense

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean I'm glad they are getting this out of the way now. If there is any player that stirs the drink in Raleigh, it's Slavin, so make him a Cane for life, I'm all for it.

Just wish we had some kind of urgency toward the current free agents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad