GDT: Canes vs Devils - Somehow only Game 2 of the 2024-25 season

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think in a perfect world the canes will try and ride this lineup out until close to the deadline and then try to acquire a winger to slot in roslovic’s spot. Roslovic is a bit of a tweener between second and third line but if you could add someone and bump him down to the 4th line that would be ideal. That second line is gonna need a added scoring threat imo

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think in a perfect world the canes will try and ride this lineup out until close to the deadline and then try to acquire a winger to slot in roslovic’s spot. Roslovic is a bit of a tweener between second and third line but if you could add someone and bump him down to the 4th line that would be ideal. That second line is gonna need a added scoring threat imo

That's almost-certainly the plan of action from the Canes this season. They can deal with a bit of an offensive shortcoming until the trade deadline as long as their defense is humming like this. Once they have the reserved cap space, I expect another blockbuster February trade.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Devils fan here.

Wondering if you Canes fans have any thoughts on how the Devils are now compared to last year and the 2nd round series back in 2022?

As a peace offering here is Noeson doing a crotch bump with Lazar.

Well, based on just this game, the Devils seemed to block a lot more shots than they have in the past. Seemed like every offensive chance the Canes had in the first ended up on someone's shin or leg.

Obviously, the development of Hughes and Bratt, as well as Dougie being healthy, also made them much more dangerous in transition, though for the most part, the Canes did a good job of stifling that.

And Markstrom is obviously a much better goalie than any of the ones you had in the past few years.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the bottom six is great so far this year, really like how they’ve come out. Robinson made a good play on Blake’s goal, wish he could get an assist but that line was noticeable all game. Staal’s line was pretty dominant all night. Necas seemed to be getting it going but the top six doesn’t quite have chemistry going yet.

It’s a win. Moving on. Ghost and Walker had some great offensive moments.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Would love a deadline trade similar to the Nino/Trocheck deals where we can bring in a top 6 LW with term or their upcoming deal is RFA so that it’s not an issue that needs addressing in the summer. Moving on from and finding a quality replacement for KK (sorry kid) should be our number one priority this summer and not having to worry about multiple top 6 moves at once would prevent a major headache.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Unfortunately still 0% PP & 66.7% PK
“Special” teams strike again…

IMG_2252.png

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Devils fan here.

Wondering if you Canes fans have any thoughts on how the Devils are now compared to last year and the 2nd round series back in 2022?

Compared to last year: your D are a year older and learning how to defend the passing lanes better, but the big difference is Markstrom. Goaltending and injuries (and maybe Lindy's system?) kept you guys out of the playoffs last year, the former at least won't be an issue this time.

Compared to 2022? very different team last night even if it's a lot of the same players. I'd have to watch a few more games for you guys (and I plan to since it's a fun team) but they seemed a lot more structured and a lot less run n gun compared to that version.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Didn't get to watch the game live and only was able to see the condensed game so I didn't get to see too much other than a bunch of saves by both goalies. The 3rd line looked dangerous from what I could tell and it was great to see how excited Blake was to get his first goal. He owes his teammates a beer for alerting him on that one play where a defenseman had him lined up at the blue line.

From the extended highlights, it looked like Pyotr was more calm in net than I've seen in the past, is that a fair statement for those that watched the whole game? He looked very calm and efficient in most of the saves I saw.

I didn't really like the first goal he gave up as it was rather soft and very stoppable and IMO, one he'd like to have back. It was almost as if he was expecting a pass or something as he didn't look ready for the shot. He left too much room on the short side on the 2nd goal, but I don't blame him. A skilled team moving the puck on a 5-3 is going to do that to any NHL goalie and NJ was moving the puck very well causing him to move. Hopefully he can grab the reigns this year and keep Freddie as the 1B for health reasons.

Once the Devil's get Pesce and L. Hughes back, they are going to be a force if Markstrom plays even halfway decent. They aren't a heavy team, but they have a lot of skill.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I didn't really like the first goal he gave up as it was rather soft and very stoppable and IMO, one he'd like to have back. It was almost as if he was expecting a pass or something as he didn't look ready for the shot. He left too much room on the short side on the 2nd goal, but I don't blame him. A skilled team moving the puck on a 5-3 is going to do that to any NHL goalie and NJ was moving the puck very well causing him to move. Hopefully he can grab the reigns this year and keep Freddie as the 1B for health reasons.

Yeah, I think on the first goal, he was expecting Hughes to pass it Meier for the tap-in. Instead, Hughes used Burns as a screen and just slid it through both of them.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Devils fan here.

It's hard to say off one game.

The Devils seems to have trouble transitioning out against a strong forecheck. That still looked to be a problem last night.

Once in the neutral zone they're very fast and dangerous in the ozone.

They don't seem overly physical. I think Meier was supposed to help with that but I'm not sure it came to fruition.

It does appear they improved at goaltending.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Devils fan here.

Versus recent history: much better organized on D & got in the way of both passing and shooting lanes. Goalie is of course much better too (presuming he stays healthy).

It's only one game seeing your team, but I wonder if Devils will have the same issues that Carolina may have against big, "heavy" very defensively oriented teams; ie, Tampa & Florida. Our "heavy" 3rd line was in your D zone all night with heavy pressure (to be fair they were great against Tampa too) and the Devils couldn't get out of the zone.

btw: Carolina may be one of the few clubs that has the team speed to keep up with you. Thus, I'd think that the Devils skillset will be a challenge for the balance of clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad