GDT: Canes @ Sabres - Certain To Be Postponed - Date TBD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Harrison can definitely take some accountability on the first two goals last night. The first was the bouncing puck, which I will go ahead and say that he himself would say he could have done a much better job corralling, or at least defending. The second was when he and Khudobin were hunched over a dead puck in the crease and Harrison swiped it away from Khudobin, but not well enough to get it out of harms way...just about 6 feet to his left, where the net was emptiest.

No question. My point is that an off game for a bottom pairing defenseman shouldn't be the reason to insert a different bottom pairing defenseman who has had his own share of struggles recently.

People tend to react too much to individual plays/games IMO. If this becomes a bigger trend, then by all means make a move, just right now I would not.

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Harrison can definitely take some accountability on the first two goals last night. The first was the bouncing puck, which I will go ahead and say that he himself would say he could have done a much better job corralling, or at least defending. The second was when he and Khudobin were hunched over a dead puck in the crease and Harrison swiped it away from Khudobin, but not well enough to get it out of harms way...just about 6 feet to his left, where the net was emptiest.

I still don't get why people are putting anything on Harrison for the 2nd goal. Khudo failed to cover on his first opportunity, Harrison pushed the puck towards him (which any competent Dman does there) and he failed to cover that too. That goal was 100% on Khudo.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Maybe another statistical coincidence, but the two guys who jumped in early and hard on JR's decision to callout Semin being the work of a clueless idiot (vagrant/jokel) are also the two who are most adamant nothing has changed about Semin's play.

Possibly a bit of biased based on being invested in a separate position?

I would own it if I saw it. I have no problems being wrong, truthfully. If what I am seeing and what I have said don't jibe I would admit to that. I have a long history of being on the wrong side of issues, because when you take a lot of stances you end up that way. I just honestly don't see it. I guess the question of "why" is always up for debate. If it's confirmation bias on my end, that's not out of the realm of possibility. This board tends to polarize opinions and round edges into extremes. I don't think we can dismiss the issue of puck luck playing a big factor. Even the best shooters in the history of hockey couldn't hit the spots that Semin has been hitting the past few games with any kind of regularity. I just find it difficult to believe that he hasn't been trying to hit those same spots all year and by the grace of the hockey gods is being vindicated. It's a results business and he's getting them, and the accolades that come with it.

I stand by the fact that, as AJJ mentioned, there has been a cherry picking element to a few of his goals during this streak and he has been cheating offensively a bit like the example that I pointed out above.

I still also contend that if this streak from Semin, if by some miraculous coincidence these comments from JR actually did prompt a stylistic change, does not justify the potential to sour the relationship. That such matters should be handled with more tact than by going through the media and not sitting down with the player, even potentially with Khudobin present to contextualize the comments, and not openly as to embarrass the guy. I don't think it happens to one of JR's "boys" and that's a dishonest approach. But I think we went over that to obnoxious lengths in the other thread. I'm not an advocate of burning bridges between player and front office. If Semin is half as sensitive as it seems that we as fans attribute to him, it's double dangerous.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

True, but even with Harrison's blatant gaffe that was a system breakdown. Going back and watching Semin's work as the F3 on that play is nauseating. And the fact that Komisarek was able to, rightly, take away the passing lane and leave Khudobin the shooter meant that he could have come out and cut the angle and he decided against it. Half clappers from the faceoff dot unscreened are quality chances for certain, but there are things that you can do to mitigate them and Khudobin didn't do them. A good challenge on that shot would have went a long way. And to be beaten on the short side is something that a goalie will tell you is most always an error in his technique.

I would say 50% Harrison, 30% Semin, 20% Khudobin on that play.

get tanked

Apr 8, 2011
Rofleigh
Count me in with those who would like to see Bellemore replace Harrison or Komisarek. He's had his share of mistakes, especially in his last few games, but I think he's been very solid overall for a rookie who's played in tough situations. Harrison and Komisarek have generally looked okay but they've played mostly sheltered minutes, and haven't produced a lot of points despite plenty of offensive zone starts. Bellemore gives you a guy who is fairly reliable in his own zone, freeing up a bit more offensive zone time for guys who are actually competent in that position (Sekera, Faulk, Liles).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad