LeBrun: Canes "pretty close" to a structure with a 2024 1st round pick for Necas; Buffalo has "very serious interest"

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
For two controlled years or extended? I read somewhere Canes would match a $9 M RFA offer. I'm giving up all that for this guy at $9 M?

The Canes wanted to extend Necas long-term. He's the kind of talent that they normally try to lock in early. The only reason he's a trade candidate at all is because the Necas camp is requesting a trade to a spot that will give him an opportunity to play center.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
For two controlled years or extended? I read somewhere Canes would match a $9 M RFA offer. I'm giving up all that for this guy at $9 M?

Fr just keep Skinner at that price.

IMG_1258.jpeg

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The Canes wanted to extend Necas long-term. He's the kind of talent that they normally try to lock in early. The only reason he's a trade candidate at all is because the Necas camp is requesting a trade to a spot that will give him an opportunity to play center.

His face-off numbers are bad but limited chances

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It goes beyond faceoffs. Other than carrying the puck up the ice Necas doesn’t do anything that C should to be effective at the NHL level. He was grown in a lab to be an elite winger and for some reason he hates that

Why are his possession numbers so good and his plus/minus so bad. I realize the latter is a bad stat but the variance is bizarre.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
It goes beyond faceoffs. Other than carrying the puck up the ice Necas doesn’t do anything that C should to be effective at the NHL level. He was grown in a lab to be an elite winger and for some reason he hates that
And...he's so emphatic and persistent about it.

My concerns as a Canes fan for some time was that he'd reach UFA and jilt us to take less money elsewhere where they'd hand him a 2C slot.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Wooa!!

Since I knew he'd be on the market, I payed attention to Necas play.

Yes he's a fast skater, yes he's good at entering the puck into the offensive zone, but I haven't seen him go to the dirty area much. A classical skillful guy who stays on the perimeter.

Plus he's 25 and in terms of stats, it's not that impressive. I'd say he'll become a perennial 50-65 pts guy.

If the price to acquire him was right, ok.

But when an 11th overall pick in such a top 15 heavy draft is rumored to be involved, I don't want Hughes to get into that train.

And as a fan, I'll gladly watch the train pass too...

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This is why I don't get the NJ and Buffalo rumors. Both teams have their top 2 C's locked in to long term contracts. To me Buffalo needs a winger (pls take Marner) and NJ should be saving their long term cap space to pay their guys coming off ELCs.

The teams that make the most sense for the contract and role Necas is demanding are Utah and Columbus, those are not good teams. Maybe LA or Detroit if either did some cap maneuvering

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This is why I don't get the NJ and Buffalo rumors. Both teams have their top 2 C's locked in to long term contracts
I believe it isn't only about playing center. He was moved to PP 2 in Carolina and it was reflected in his scoring. Put Necas in a system that let's him wheel, basically cut him loose in the o-zone, and he'll put up numbers. Add to that, if on a 1st PP unit, he'll score goals. He has a pretty sick one-timer. There are Canes players who said he's the most skilled guy on the team.

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
Necas' value is a lot closer to just Marino than it is to 10th + Marino

I was also basng it on Necas being extended once traded.

I think a deal can be based around Marino and the 10th for Necas, the 27th overall and maybe another pick in 2025 as the Devils suddenly only have 4 draft picks for next year.
Marino is only included based onthe rumors the Devils turn around and sign Pesce on 7/1.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why are his possession numbers so good and his plus/minus so bad. I realize the latter is a bad stat but the variance is bizarre.
Because he's excellent at skating with the puck, entering zones and holding on to it for a long time. He has terrible on ice awareness though so he often gets caught out of place and if he loses the puck it's an odd man rush the other way. He doesn't use his teammates effectively so it is very chaotic when he's on the ice. Sometimes good chaos but also sometimes bad. Compared to lines that are controlled by Aho and Staal which are very structure based you get big disparities in style of play.

Necas' value is a lot closer to just Marino than it is to 10th + Marino
No... he's absolutely worth a 10-15 pick. He was drafted at 12 and has absolutely lived up to that and he still has room to grow. He's under team control for 2 more year. You don't get that for TDL prices like a late 1st and B prospect.

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
No... he's absolutely worth a 10-15 pick. He was drafted at 12 and has absolutely lived up to that and he still has room to grow. He's under team control for 2 more year. You don't get that for TDL prices like a late 1st and B prospect.

Marino has more value then you think. A right handed 27 year old defenseman under contact for 4.4 mill for the next 3 years? And can slot into the top 4 of just abut every team? I agree that the 10th and Marino is a steep prive without at least getting a pick (or picks back) with Necas. No disput that Necas would be a big time move for NJ and immediately improve them.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Because he's excellent at skating with the puck, entering zones and holding on to it for a long time. He has terrible on ice awareness though so he often gets caught out of place and if he loses the puck it's an odd man rush the other way. He doesn't use his teammates effectively so it is very chaotic when he's on the ice. Sometimes good chaos but also sometimes bad. Compared to lines that are controlled by Aho and Staal which are very structure based you get big disparities in style of play.

I get the 1st but the top prospect too? The Sabres pick is an 11th overall. That should be a top 6 forward in three years with team control.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Marino has more value then you think. A right handed 25 year old defenseman under contact for 4.4 mill for the next 3 years? And can slot into the top 4 of just abut every team? I agree that the 10th and Marino is a steep prive without at least getting a pick (or picks back) with Necas. No disput that Necas would be a big time move for NJ and immediately improve them.
25?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like given his contract ask, positional demands, and one dimensional play, he may not warrant that high of a pick. It's not like he's a PPG offensive star.

I think a return similar to what Dubois got going from LA to Winnipeg is more in the ballpark. A 2nd, roster player or two, and a meh prospect

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like given his contract ask, positional demands, and one dimensional play, he may not warrant that high of a pick. It's not like he's a PPG offensive star.

I think a return similar to what Dubois got going from LA to Winnipeg is more in the ballpark. A 2nd, roster player or two, and a meh prospect
Nope. That's definitely not happening.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Marino has more value then you think. A right handed 25 year old defenseman under contact for 4.4 mill for the next 3 years? And can slot into the top 4 of just abut every team? I agree that the 10th and Marino is a steep prive without at least getting a pick (or picks back) with Necas. No disput that Necas would be a big time move for NJ and immediately improve them.
My guess is that if a trade goes down with the Devils, there will be a fairly steep "within the division" cost. It likely makes it unpalatable for New Jersey. I certainly don't want to face a team 4 times a season with Hughes and Necas sprinting end to end.

Reactions: Forge

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not low on Marino. I'm just saying that Necas value is in that 10-15OA draft pick range.

The post I was replying to said that Necas is closer in value to Marino than 10OA and I don't believe that's true. I don't know what Marino's value is exactly just commenting that Necas is worth that 10-15OA pick.

Reactions: devsfan8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad