LeBrun: Canes "pretty close" to a structure with a 2024 1st round pick for Necas; Buffalo has "very serious interest"

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Necas sounds less and less enticing in every new thread. That said, Preds would certainly pony up #22 and something modest for him. Which of course is way below what Canes fans would accept. Canes management does seem pretty intent on getting rid of him, though... :dunno:

Not how LeBrun framed things in the article. The ask is high. A return was mentioned as a possible scenario.

They're trying to honor the wishes of the player, but aren't going to trade him for the sake of it.

Reactions: Chan790

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I can already see that this thread is going to be full of takes from people who didn’t watch Skinner play at 32 years old and counting

Yeah, comparing the two is ridiculous. Just because the Sabres need to get tough doesn’t mean adding an incredible offensive player like Necas is a bad thing.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm not sure those are interesting pieces.

Feels "a lot of stuff" and Rosen in particular isn't interesting as the centerpiece of an offer.

Fewer pieces and at-least one better asset.
Those are two of my favorite Buffalo prospects, I guess it depends on who you like - the Sabres top 10 prospects are all in the same tier.

I’d prefer to keep them than trade for Necas but they probably like that he has two more years of team control, which is probably worth a lot to them.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm not sure those are interesting pieces.

Feels "a lot of stuff" and Rosen in particular isn't interesting as the centerpiece of an offer.

Fewer pieces and at-least one better asset.
As a Sabres fan, I'd feel like it's fait accompli that pick 11 would be part of the package.

Then it's a matter of which prospect on top. I don't think Savoie would be an option....maybe not Kulich. Rosen would certainly be in that discussion though. Maybe Ostlund.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
As a Sabres fan, I'd feel like it's fait accompli that pick 11 would be part of the package.

Then it's a matter of which prospect on top. I don't think Savoie would be an option....maybe not Kulich. Rosen would certainly be in that discussion though. Maybe Ostlund.
Savoie and most definitely Kulich won't be traded by the Sabres. Kulich will most likely be on the roster this coming season with Savoie entering his AHL development phase. The Sabres staff are extremely high on both.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
To be fair, Necas is at his best during the dog days of regular season and completely disappears down the stretch and into the playoffs. It's like he was made for this current Buffalo team.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
To be fair, Necas is at his best during the dog days of regular season and completely disappears down the stretch and into the playoffs. It's like he was made for this current Buffalo team.

Sabres don’t make the playoffs. Completely underwhelming in the playoffs? That’s the hurricanes my friend.

And Necas had 9 points in 11 games these playoffs. Doesn’t sound like a disappearing act to me, more like a scapegoat.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Necas is fine in his own zone. The problem is that he plays a big time North/South game on a team designed to dump and chase. I think he'd do very very well in Buffalo.
Exactly Buffalo is not a good dump and chase team - more rush attack - given that he would probably fit better here

Buffalo feels like the worst fit for him.
Explain why ?

Reactions: Ole Gil

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Exactly Buffalo is not a good dump and chase team - more rush attack - given that he would probably fit better here

Explain why ?
Can't speak for the other poster but we have a ton of skilled, offense first guys and a prospect pool brimming with the same. We lack toughness and defensive minded players. Why are we adding more of what we are overstocked with?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lmao gross.

Why the f*** would you buy out Skinner only to replace him with another one-way winger? And why the hell would you give away 11 overall+ for him when Reinhart and Buchnevich were traded in basically the same circumstances very recently for much, much less? Horrible asset, cap, and everything else management.

Makes no sense, no thanks.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
No... he's a bigger, faster Skinner!

In all honesty... they have similarities in that they both suck at using their teammates and neither of them are NHL caliber C.

While they are both massive puck hogs they go about it in different ways. Necas is speed and zone entries with a laser shot. Both (I imagine Skinner is still good at this) protect the puck well but because of their absolute lack of on ice awareness they are usually super out of position so if they lose the puck it's an odd man rush the other way guaranteed because their linemates can't just be a permanent safety net.

I don't know why Buffalo would be in on Necas but out on Skinner but here we are.
Because one is old and the other is in his prime.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Shit. As a Sabres fan who is lukewarm on add Necas......the upgrade from Krebs to Drury might be enough to push me to do this.

Drury's scoring comes with the * of usage; he played next Necas for a notable chunk of the season and received pretty consistent 2nd unit PP time. The problem is that he'll get paid based on that; Kurashev got $2.25 mil from an arbitrator with similar numbers last year. That's maybe not a problem for Buffalo, but it's a bit sketchy for other teams. Not sure if he has meaningful trade value because of that.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Can't speak for the other poster but we have a ton of skilled, offense first guys and a prospect pool brimming with the same. We lack toughness and defensive minded players. Why are we adding more of what we are overstocked with?
Because we need another scoring fwd next year and given when we have $3O mil in cap space now they can stil add 2-3 tougher guys + an offensive one? None of those guys should cost the 11th pick because you pay for offense…and we can make other trades signings to get what you mention? 1 move is just 1 move and doesn’t mean they’re ignoring the rest…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad