Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Can't help but wonder if the Leafs trade Marner would they turn around and target Necas

A fancy perimeter guy for another one?

Wouldn't solve Toronto's problem...

Neither Carolina, who's trying to make cap space, not adding more $$...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tough one to gauge. Canes are probably going to want 70+ point value for him, but he's only done it once. Depending on how the top 12 shakes out, I might not hate if my team put #13 in play for him, but not sure the cap works out, depending on what he's looking for.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yeesh, if the asking price is above that I do not think I want any part. What would be your ask in a package?
Malloux has one career NHL game and the pick is a late first.

It's not exactly "nows" as opposed to the futures we've tried to be clear aren't really of interest as we're not looking to take a step back.

Reactions: DaveG

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

It's not exactly "nows" as opposed to the futures we've tried to be clear aren't really of interest as we're not looking to take a step back.
That's fair, but I can't see the Canes getting anything that's equal to Necas. I guess the Canes could use him + assets to get someone better than him, but I also can't imagine a team will downgrade just to sign Necas and pay him 7 mill and think that's a win.

Tough spot the Canes are in for him if he really does want out/the Canes want to move on from him

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Sure, but they're not necessarily going to get what they're looking for all in one deal and something like that leaves cap to do a lot of other things. I guess my expectation with what they'd be looking for in Necas deal would be something like young D or forward who can play next year and is cost controlled + a pick, with the cap flexibility being a big part of anything they do

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Talented but perimeter kinda player.

The kind that disappears comes the playoffs.

Would fit Habs needs, but I doubt he's the kind of player Habs management are searching for.

30 points in 59 playoff games isn’t terrible for the role he’s played during those playoff games. And he was arguably one of the more dangerous forwards for Carolina against the Rangers.

The problem is that Necas is currently a square peg the Canes are trying to put in a round hole. He’s a very fast, talented 50-ft player in a system that needs players that play 200 ft. He’s shown flashes of what he can become if given free reign, and it’s an exciting player to watch, but he’s never going to be that player for Carolina.

If there’s a team out there that needs a creative, quick player on a line that forgoes defensive responsibility, Necas would be the ideal pickup and would easily put up 25-30 goals perennially.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeesh, if the asking price is above that I do not think I want any part. What would be your ask in a package?
It's not so much about value, although I think that value is light. It's about the fit.

The pick is fine... it's a low 1st but it's something. It's not the main piece in a trade for Necas through and Mailloux is just not something that really has much interest from a Canes perspective.

Necas was picked at 12OA in 2017 and he's developed to what you would realistically want at that pick. He's an established top 6 offensive player with some elite skills and he's entering his prime.

Guhle would be the type of value we would be looking for. Yes, I know Habs fans are making him mayor or something, and it's not even like the Canes specifically want him or are asking for him but yes, that would be the type of value we would be targeting in return.

• Haha
Reactions: Lolonegoal

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's not so much about value, although I think that value is light. It's about the fit.

The pick is fine... it's a low 1st but it's something. It's not the main piece in a trade for Necas through and Mailloux is just not something that really has much interest from a Canes perspective.

Necas was picked at 12OA in 2017 and he's developed to what you would realistically want at that pick. He's an established top 6 offensive player with some elite skills and he's entering his prime.

Guhle would be the type of value we would be looking for. Yes, I know Habs fans are making him mayor or something, and it's not even like the Canes specifically want him or are asking for him but yes, that would be the type of value we would be targeting in return.
I can tell you pretty unequivocally Guhle won't happen, 1 for 1 value is probably close but he's a building block unless they're adding something to him for an even bigger piece. Regardless of how deep they are with young D he's the only one who has shown he can play as a top 4 and arguably top 2.

If there was a way to work something with Struble + that 1st + young forward or young D I'm all about it but I just don't see Necas as a player that should be a core piece and that's the only way I'd stomach moving Guhle

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I can tell you pretty unequivocally Guhle won't happen, 1 for 1 value is probably close but he's a building block unless they're adding something to him for an even bigger piece. Regardless of how deep they are with young D he's the only one who has shown he can play as a top 4 and arguably top 2.

If there was a way to work something with Struble + that 1st + young forward or young D I'm all about it but I just don't see Necas as a player that should be a core piece and that's the only way I'd stomach moving Guhle
I get it. No reason for MTL to move Guhle. Just saying that's the *type* of piece that Canes would want in return. Have to remember that Necas is under team control for 2 more years. If Canes move him this offseason it's because they found a good deal that helps the team. He doesn't have any leverage in the situation.

Reactions: DaveG and Chrispy

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I get it. No reason for MTL to move Guhle. Just saying that's the *type* of piece that Canes would want in return. Have to remember that Necas is under team control for 2 more years. If Canes move him this offseason it's because they found a good deal that helps the team. He doesn't have any leverage in the situation.
He does tho, he can sign a OS wherever he wants.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Fair I'm just not sure what team is moving that kind of defenceman for a player like Necas. Is he not taken straight to UFA if he signs a one year deal this summer?

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Habs mock trade offers for Necas have been horrid I don’t think they make good trade partners. When teams trade 60 point players who are still young like Necas they want to get value back. Jordan Harris, Justin Barron, Mesar. None of them really project well at the next level and never will really return the value.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He could. But he also knows an offer sheet could mean he spends the next 5 years in Carolina, as it’s doubtful anyone gives a player more than 5 years on an offer sheet under the current rules.

Or are you assuming the high dollar single year strategy? That could result in arbitration from Necas in year 2 and walking to UFA with 2 rich RFA seasons. Not what a team is looking for out of those picks.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

I am one of the Habs fan most open to trading Ghule. I thought about that offer but I would like a "younger" player for him. Not that Necas is old but 25 would be the oldest of our core players.

Mailloux is a very good D prospect. Doesn't matter where he was drafted. He had 47 pts in 72 AHL games last year as a 20 year old.

I understand the Canes looking for a more NHL ready player. Other than Matheson and Ghule, we don't have anything else that would be close to Necas value.

Reactions: danisonfire

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ok so which of the following teams are going to offer Necas a deal of more than $7.5 AAV or more and give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Because that’s what it’s going to take to get him to sign an offer sheet and not have Carolina match.

MTL, BUF, CHI, UTA, DET, SEA, LAK, PHI, NYI, NAS, STL, MIN

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The Canes do so many interesting, atypical things. It backfires occasionally, but is mostly successful. The one thing they did that I think is the height of stupidity is not having an AHL affiliate. Fixing that was the biggest move they made this season. They draft so well and make some smart bets, but that one was idiotic.

Chicago deciding last minute that they wanted to go it alone was somehow Carolina’s fault? They didn’t choose or want to be without an ahl affiliate. Of all the things to criticize them for that’s an odd one.

What about something based around Necas for Kadri?

Not interesting at all.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Chychrun and something for Necas

Sens need wingers, Canes need defense
I’d have talks on this. Two players who probably need a change of scenery to become the best versions of them as a player. Similar age and somewhat similar contract situation.

Canes have a habit of ‘fixing’ talented Dmen who have holes in their game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad