GDT: Canes going on holiday travel on some Canadian Jets - 7:30pm departure

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I would be perfectly content if we had a PP that operated in an umbrella from around the faceoff dots in, and only kicked it out to the point to either immediately change direction or for the one timer. Our PP thrived last year when we did this, but its also predicated on constant movement from the forwards to keep the PK unit from being able to get set and comfortable. That's where we are at our best.

But right now we're a team that's trying to overthink everything we do in the offensive zone. Every guy keeps the puck on his stick 1 or 2 seconds too long. Our scorers are trying to be one man heros too often. Our playmakers get caught flat footed trying to look for the perfect pass, and the guys at the blue line just rip relatively easy to defend shots to the goalies chest from the top of the zone. And I'm not convinced this is a cold streak, this is the team we've devolved to being in the playoffs each of the last 4 years when we get eliminated, and I'm not sure this team is capable of snapping itself out of this funk when it gets into it. We don't have any players who can make the plays necessary to snap us out of it.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Kase and Stastny were always going to be low dollar risks. How many 20 goal scorers / 40+ point guys will cost 1.5 million? Only the risky ones. Unfortunately both have been the worst case scenario. We had a contingency plan of Noesen and Drury for both if the worst case happened. With Patches and Turbo’s injuries, we have to play our contingency plans and still play the under-performers.

Unfortunately, our FO has chased the low dollar players who could well out perform the contract. I think we are 1 for 8 so far. Is it 8? I’ve lost count but TDA is the only hit so far. We’ve missed the Bunting or the two with Florida.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Kase and Stastny were always going to be low dollar risks. How many 20 goal scorers / 40+ point guys will cost 1.5 million? Only the risky ones. Unfortunately both have been the worst case scenario. We had a contingency plan of Noesen and Drury for both if the worst case happened. With Patches and Turbo’s injuries, we have to play our contingency plans and still play the under-performers.

Unfortunately, our FO has chased the low dollar players who could well out perform the contract. I think we are 1 for 8 so far. Is it 8? I’ve lost count but TDA is the only hit so far. We’ve missed the Bunting or the two with Florida.
The problem with the FO's plans is they see the risk only in salary/contract cost. But the cost to the team with the guys in and out of the lineup, and the way the underperformers hurt the rhythm of the play of the team, may be opportunity to win a Cup in any given year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So long as they spend to the cap every year and at least try to swing big deals, I don't care about any of this.

The Canes are down a ton of guys, they've got other underperforming guys, and they're still well above NHL .500 and in a playoff spot. Again, this is all noise unless/until they miss the playoffs.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I would be perfectly content if we had a PP that operated in an umbrella from around the faceoff dots in, and only kicked it out to the point to either immediately change direction or for the one timer. Our PP thrived last year when we did this, but its also predicated on constant movement from the forwards to keep the PK unit from being able to get set and comfortable. That's where we are at our best.

But right now we're a team that's trying to overthink everything we do in the offensive zone. Every guy keeps the puck on his stick 1 or 2 seconds too long. Our scorers are trying to be one man heros too often. Our playmakers get caught flat footed trying to look for the perfect pass, and the guys at the blue line just rip relatively easy to defend shots to the goalies chest from the top of the zone. And I'm not convinced this is a cold streak, this is the team we've devolved to being in the playoffs each of the last 4 years when we get eliminated, and I'm not sure this team is capable of snapping itself out of this funk when it gets into it. We don't have any players who can make the plays necessary to snap us out of it.
Good points.

Lol, I count the three last night as PP goals. Of course, I guess we were also due for puck luck.

I’m ok with Burns. He is on pace for a 50 + point season so a good replacement for Tony d (and I believe his shot plays better in the playoffs versus Tony’s).

Slavin (my wife always says young baby is impacting him), 3rd D pair, 4th line and JK are the worry spots for me. I’d bring up a Wolve or two (and/or make a trade) and let go stasny and Stephan. Don’t know if our cap allows for that though.

Last point, we don’t get a lot of dirty goals and that is Borg’s fault in roster makeup.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So long as they spend to the cap every year and at least try to swing big deals, I don't care about any of this.

The Canes are down a ton of guys, they've got other underperforming guys, and they're still well above NHL .500 and in a playoff spot. Again, this is all noise unless/until they miss the playoffs.
Honestly? Having been a cap team the last few years and ending up a bit handcuffed at the deadline because of it, I'd be ok if we didn't fully spend to the cap every year. We need some gap so that we can afford to get rid of mistakes (Stastny) or bank enough cap room to swing big in a deal to get necessary help. Right now, we're just not in the kind of position to be able to do that, which sucks.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Honestly? Having been a cap team the last few years and ending up a bit handcuffed at the deadline because of it, I'd be ok if we didn't fully spend to the cap every year. We need some gap so that we can afford to get rid of mistakes (Stastny) or bank enough cap room to swing big in a deal to get necessary help. Right now, we're just not in the kind of position to be able to do that, which sucks.

The fact that you're lamenting the fact that we're too close to the cap just proves my point. The team basically sets up for max flexibility every year to make necessary moves, and still someone's mad they're not doing it right enough.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The problem with the FO's plans is they see the risk only in salary/contract cost. But the cost to the team with the guys in and out of the lineup, and the way the underperformers hurt the rhythm of the play of the team, may be opportunity to win a Cup in any given year.
Yes and no. Cup teams typically require a team to outperform their contracts in order to have a chance in the cap world. We don’t have much in the line of ELCs in the current or near future to be the over performers so we are required to chase the low dollar deals. The FO is chasing the deals to help us but we haven’t been right so far.

Reactions: ndp and Stickpucker

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The fact that you're lamenting the fact that we're too close to the cap just proves my point. The team basically sets up for max flexibility every year to make necessary moves, and still someone's mad they're not doing it right enough.
Yeah that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I have been happy that they have been a cap team rather than a floor team, but having gone through the last couple years, it might be ideal to adjust that a bit to give us more flexibility throughout the year, especially when we're heavily leveraged in LTIR

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Until we get rid of LTIR, going to max cap usage is the best option.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes and no. Cup teams typically require a team to outperform their contracts in order to have a chance in the cap world. We don’t have much in the line of ELCs in the current or near future to be the over performers so we are required to chase the low dollar deals. The FO is chasing the deals to help us but we haven’t been right so far.

Yeah....I no like. This isn't the 2002 Oakland A's. Enough of this "Moneyball" crap. They need to figure something else out.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah....I no like. This isn't the 2002 Oakland A's. Enough of this "Moneyball" crap. They need to figure something else out.

Figure something else out? The 2002 Oakland A's? What the f*** are you even talking about?

This is the most sustained run of excellence this franchise run has ever had, one fluke Stanley Cup (yeah, I said it) notwithstanding -- and people are losing their f***ing minds over the fact that this team is only in 2nd place in the division in November?

Sebastian Aho is 25. Andrei Svechnikov is 22. Martin Necas is 23. Seth Jarvis just turned 20. This core will likely be in the playoff mix for the next decade.

When Tampa won their 2020 cup, Stamkos was 29, Hedman was 29, Kucherov was 26, Point was 23. The year before that, they won the Presidents Trophy and then got swept in the playoffs in the first round by Columbus.

The regular season doesn't mean shit, so long as they finish in the upper half of the league, which they will. This team is fine. They're slumping, they'll recover. The self-induced misery here just blows my mind.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This loss is 100% on me.

I was playing a game on my phone and lost track of time, turning on the game late. Literally as I connect, the Jets are on a breakaway and score. Oh well, keep on watching. They score their second, I cuss at the TV. They score the third, I pretty much write off the game but keep watching. With about 10 minutes left I turn off my laptop and go do some chores.

I'm folding clothes about 20 minutes later and check the NHL app just to see the final score. WTF!? WE'RE IN OVERTIME?! I run to the computer, and re-connect to the game. The second I re-connect, the puck gets to Morrisey on a break and he scores.

Somehow I watched like 80% of the game and saw the other team score 4/4 goals and my team score 0/3 goals. I need to channel my zen and be like the guy who sat in 338 on game 7 vs Edmonton who, after we scored the first goal while he was getting a hot dog, stood for the rest of the goddamned game in the concourse because his sacrifice helped us win the cup.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This loss is 100% on me.

I was playing a game on my phone and lost track of time, turning on the game late. Literally as I connect, the Jets are on a breakaway and score. Oh well, keep on watching. They score their second, I cuss at the TV. They score the third, I pretty much write off the game but keep watching. With about 10 minutes left I turn off my laptop and go do some chores.

I'm folding clothes about 20 minutes later and check the NHL app just to see the final score. WTF!? WE'RE IN OVERTIME?! I run to the computer, and re-connect to the game. The second I re-connect, the puck gets to Morrisey on a break and he scores.

Somehow I watched like 80% of the game and saw the other team score 4/4 goals and my team score 0/3 goals. I need to channel my zen and be like the guy who sat in 338 on game 7 vs Edmonton who, after we scored the first goal while he was getting a hot dog, stood for the rest of the goddamned game in the concourse because his sacrifice helped us win the cup.
You mean to tell me you saw and knew they were in the middle of a miraculous comeback after watching Winnipeg score 3 earlier and turning the game off, and you TURNED IT BACK ON IN OVERTIME?

wrong-with-you.gif

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This loss is 100% on me.

The only way to fix this is to create a high effort Anton GDT and not look at it until the game is over.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I want to go back in time to the playoff drought and tell a lot of you folks that the Canes will have 5 regulation losses by Thanksgiving week and you’ll be bitching and moaning about every facet of the team.

If I’m tracking this correctly everyone but Necas and Martinook are underperforming, the defense sucks, special teams sucks, the goalies are below average, and adding a complete natural goal scorer isn’t going to help their scoring enough.

And they are 2nd in the division with 5 of 19 games where they’ve got no points to show for it.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I want to go back in time to the playoff drought and tell a lot of you folks that the Canes will have 5 regulation losses by Thanksgiving week and you’ll be bitching and moaning about every facet of the team.

If I’m tracking this correctly everyone but Necas and Martinook are underperforming, the defense sucks, special teams sucks, the goalies are below average, and adding a complete natural goal scorer isn’t going to help their scoring enough.

And they are 2nd in the division with 5 of 19 games where they’ve got no points to show for it.

You forgot an incompetent front office and a coach that should be on the hot seat. :teach:

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

So I think what you are saying is:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad