GDT: Canes at Caps, 3/12 7:00PM

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Realized I never dropped in here. Went to the game tonight. Would have been on HF via phone if my battery wasn't pretty much dead, but it was a fun one to be a visiting fan at. Some people were arses to Semin, but it wasn't all that bad, getting shut out by our third string goalie quieted them a bit.

Was nice to see some depth scoring. 2nd line was walking over people but couldn't break through- Jeff Skinner especially. At least from where I was sitting, he was our standout player tonight, though I don't think he even got a point.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Tripp is just shredding Ovechkin to bits. I like it.

It's not Ovechkin's fault he plays for one of the worst organizations in professional sports. I've never really been a fan of his, but now I just kinda feel bad for him. He'll be the next one to get the Semin treatment from all the jerks over there.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I will never feel bad for Ovechkin. Never. He's so unlikable. Maybe it was the Gleason knee that set me off (Yes, I know the end result was worse for Ovechkin, but still...), but I just can't pull myself to lay off the hate.

WoodGundy

Nov 3, 2003
Halifax
The game was away.

He must've just not realized it was Nash or forgot it would be his third. Nash looked pissed! Smacked his stick after it went in. Can't blame him.

Someday when Nash gets a real hat trick, he will be glad his first wasn't into an empty net.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Call me old fashioned, or flat out wrong, but I don't want to see anybody slam their stick on the ice after not getting a pass for an empty net. I don't care if you're going for 50 in 50. Dwyer made that play happen, he got the empty net and locked it up. Nash was a big part of the win tonight. Don't ruin it with being selfish about a gimmie goal.

With that said, it's usually a professional courtesy to know who you're on the ice with and try to get the guy that needs the goal to score. Dwyer probably let instinct take over and just drove the nail home. I can imagine it would be difficult for a grinder like Dwyer to see an empty cage and a clear sight line and think of anything other than netting one.

With that also said, if the worst thing we can find to ***** about after a game is who scored the empty net goal then consider me a happy man.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Call me old fashioned, or flat out wrong, but I don't want to see anybody slam their stick on the ice after not getting a pass for an empty net.

I saw Nash tap his stick. To say that he slammed it would imply that he did so angrily. I didn't see any evidence of anger. If he hadn't already scored two goals and tapped his stick I don't think anyone would be talking about it. Even if he was a little frustrated, all that shows is that he wanted to score a hat trick. What NHL forward doesn't?

For those who would call that play selfish I'd remind them that the game was 3-0 at the time.

With that said, it's usually a professional courtesy to know who you're on the ice with and try to get the guy that needs the goal to score. Dwyer probably let instinct take over and just drove the nail home. I can imagine it would be difficult for a grinder like Dwyer to see an empty cage and a clear sight line and think of anything other than netting one.

The fact that Brouwer was back and in the passing lane was the big reason he didn't pass it IMO. The only way that pass was getting through was if it was saucered off the backhand.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
You know, I'd love to talk crap about the Capitals. I'd love to talk crap. But first, I'd like to beat them at least once.

Start talking, my friend! :laugh:

Why the hell is Peters in the net? Geez!!! They could put the Caps out of the picture in these games. If Ellis isn't ill or something, another brilliant strategic move.:shakehead

Yeah, those Hurricanes coaches and staff are total idiots. Meanwhile fans from Alberta know all.

Last edited:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Start talking, my friend! :laugh:

Yeah, those Hurricanes coaches and staff are total idiots. Meanwhile fans from Alberta know all.

Yeah, in a key series it was a surprise and it did turn out well. Very easy to say in retrospect the next day but great. Being from Alberta means what? So you dug around and found one post to crap on. I'm just glad they won with a total team effort.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
It's not Ovechkin's fault he plays for one of the worst organizations in professional sports. I've never really been a fan of his, but now I just kinda feel bad for him. He'll be the next one to get the Semin treatment from all the jerks over there.

You've got it figured out perfectly IMO. Their board, while trashing Semin and Ovechkin for quite some time, has held amazing parallel arguments. Semin should have walked two years ago and AO should walk as soon as possible. You know what? After studying the Semin situation over the summer and up to this point, I really believe that the majority of people fully understand the truth about that organization and how Semin was scapegoated. The yappers you hear now are the loud and vocal minority. AO will get the same treatment by the same media and minority of fans. Most fans don't boo players and most fans figure things out pretty fast. Relatively, it's a few that will never get it.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Regarding these younger guys and the other lines. Washington was able to shut down the top line. That has to be seriously looked at in order to be competitive in the playoffs. See what happens at home. No way Eric Staal deserved the third star although faceoffs were dominated. That said, the other lines played very well and ate up that defense of theirs. With a few better bounces, this game could have finished with a much higher score. If the third and fourth lines can continue to contribute like they did last night, this team can potentially go far. I hope they are all gelling at just the right time and the results of this game were not merely due to playing a weaker team. However, again, having a team like the Caps make the first line virtually ineffective concerns me. A team with good depth will do that to J. Staal's line as well.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
While true the only team that comes to mind with that kind of depth in the east is boston, especially if we can get a good 3rd line going once Ruutu and LaRose are back

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Fun fact: Using the Sports Club Stats season simulator, we have a 94% chance to make the playoffs this year.

Using their simulation system an applying it according to the realignment? 94.1% chance.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Fun fact: Using the Sports Club Stats season simulator, we have a 94% chance to make the playoffs this year.

Using their simulation system an applying it according to the realignment? 94.1% chance.

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Or

3si3mt.jpg

Either way, until it's a guarantee, I'm not getting my hopes up. This team has consistently managed to find a way to miss the playoffs, against all odds.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Or

3si3mt.jpg

Either way, until it's a guarantee, I'm not getting my hopes up. This team has consistently managed to find a way to miss the playoffs, against all odds.

I was more referring to all of the people saying we'd never have a chance to make the playoffs again under the realignment. We actually have a "better" chance at making the playoffs under the realignment format, if you put stock into Sports Club Stats odds, which I do, personally.

caniac315

Nov 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I want to know if Chantel carries her box she stands on for interviews around with her to all the different arenas. Walk me through that Chantel.

Good game last night. Peters is looking better and better to me. Hoping for another *** whipping tomorrow night.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I want to know if Chantel carries her box she stands on for interviews around with her to all the different arenas. Walk me through that Chantel.

"This is my box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My box is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My box, without me, is useless. Without my box, I am useless."

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Call me old fashioned, or flat out wrong, but I don't want to see anybody slam their stick on the ice after not getting a pass for an empty net. I don't care if you're going for 50 in 50. Dwyer made that play happen, he got the empty net and locked it up. Nash was a big part of the win tonight. Don't ruin it with being selfish about a gimmie goal.

With that also said, if the worst thing we can find to ***** about after a game is who scored the empty net goal then consider me a happy man.

I won't call you wrong, because there is so much that is absolutely right about this post, but I disagree that Nash slammed his stick on the ice. He did no such thing. He didn't even tap it as hard as McBain does when he wants a pass, so the word "slam" has no place in a description of what Nash did.

But yeah, I totally agree that Dwyer probably simply had a one-track mind with that puck, then immediately regretted not trying to get it to Nash, and I agree that this simply proves that there is no stone that this board is not willing to turn over in the attempt to find something negative in an overwhelmingly positive outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad