Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Nah it's just classic hockey armchair experts overvaluing their players and undervaluing every other asset. Nothing new under the sun, that's why the main boards are a cesspool of nonsense.

Every single fanbase is guilty of it, it's just Montreal has a big and rabid fanbase, it's not rocket science it just seems like it if you're biased.

Well that's good cause unless he comes with a risk-related discount I hope the Habs have less than zero interest.

You actually believe someone is gonna give up a 1st+ for this player and that contract? It seems you've been around the game a long time, you can't possibly believe that.
The difference being your fanbase makes these proposals, offers next to nothing, gets offended when they dont get the response they want and finish with saying the player sucks and you didnt want them anyway

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Man I love the internet, people get so emotional about dumb trade offers.

I get it, habs have a massive fan base that on its best days is bipolar.

It’s ok to call out posters for posting dumb trades, but to brush a whole fan base because your panties got twisted is what make me come daily to hfboard.

My favorite is the dude for some reason shitting on Mathewson cause he is sad the offers posted for a broken down player that makes too much did not sit well with him.

Summer threads rock.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Man I love the internet, people get so emotional about dumb trade offers.

I get it, habs have a massive fan base that on its best days is bipolar.

It’s ok to call out posters for posting dumb trades, but to brush a whole fan base because your panties got twisted is what make me come daily to hfboard.

My favorite is the dude for some reason shitting on Mathewson cause he is sad the offers posted for a broken down player that makes too much did not sit well with him.

Summer threads rock.
I just think it's funny that matheson is somehow coveted and valuable but Laine is broken down and nothing else, I'm not even a cbj fan so I wonder who the biased one is.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
This guy gets paid nearly $9 million a year and has played less than 56 games in all four of the last four years. He now has a substance abuse record on his resume. What would your team give up for this dream of a player?

That's not even to mention that even if he had stayed healthy his whole career and not abused substances he's still a significant negative value on that contract based on the production he has while healthy.

I don't think Montreal has any interest in this guy. If we gave up the assets proposed in this deal for Laine, I'd be disappointed.

He went into the player assistance program related to mental health concerns, no mention of substance abuse was ever indicated publicly. One of those 4 years was the lockout shortened season, so it wasn't like he missed significant time due to injury that season. The following year he got injured and the injury didn't heal properly, affecting his ability to recover and play in most of the 2023-2024 season. Prior to last season, he had two back to back seasons in CBJ at roughly PPG. Travis Konecny just signed a very similar contract and I don't view his upside to be any better than Laine's if both are healthy. For that reason, CBJ will sit on their hands unless they get the value a player like Laine can return to them. Your evaluation of Laine seems heavily biased, and assumption of substance abuse is just flat out ridiculous.

Reactions: CanadienShark

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
For me what I think is funny , is you posting about matheson in a thread about a bad offer for laine.
Just applying the logic from the matheson threads to this one. Find it hard to believe he brings back more in a trade than Laine.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The difference being your fanbase makes these proposals, offers next to nothing, gets offended when they dont get the response they want and finish with saying the player sucks and you didnt want them anyway
It's not the fanbase as a whole. There's folks like that everywhere. I'm annoyed with the trend too, but there's plenty of Habs fans out there that aren't this crazy.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Just applying the logic from the matheson threads to this one. Find it hard to believe he brings back more in a trade than Laine.
Dude it’s. a hockeyhockey where people post all kinds of opinions, and it seems like this one got to you personally.

I do not work or play for the habs I am just a fan, so you can shit on the whole team as much as you want, won’t change anything.

But entertain me while I am having lunch at work.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't think that's true. Laine is definitely on the market with a FOR SALE sign hanging around his neck.

This proposal however is complete 100% horse shit, even if Farrell might be something someday.

That you reference Farrell instead of Konyushkov suggests you don't actually know anything about those prospects... Why form such a strong opinion on something you are clearly poorly informed about?

I think if CBJ is retaining, they'll prefer trading him for a bigger "quality" piece rather than quantity... But value-wise, I doubt they'll get more than what's in that proposal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think you'd get a feeble shake of the head and otherwise a lack of responsiveness - like "did I just hallucinate this insanity, I'm going to be very very careful about what I do and say next just in case" type reaction.

Will be interesting to see your reaction once he gets dealt...

Matheson sucks and nobody is paying a 1st plus. Take your own advice

So many emotional and ungrounded takes in this thread :lol:

This take suggests you've never actually followed the league or don't understand "precedent".

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not really interested in Laine and so whatever proposal I come up will probably not be worth columbus' time.

Laine is very overrated. I don't think KH would give any real assets to acquire him, he's completely uncommitted, the opposite of the type of player they have targeted so far in their tenure.

Columbus has a problem, Laine has asked to be moved and they already have a shitty culture there, I doubt they're trying to start the new season with a disgruntled big money player on the roster.

Even with a discount I wouldn't really want this player and giving up a first for this guy is absolutely laughable. He's never healthy and his production has been trending the wrong way for years now.

You never know. Someone might give a sweet deal based on the brand name. I hope the Habs don't get suckered in.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The rule of thumb w/r/t sending a contract back in a Laine trade is that AAV is acceptable and understandable (within some reasonable limits), but term is a nonstarter.
Laibe has 2 years left. Youll have to take a contract that is at least 2 years

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That you reference Farrell instead of Konyushkov suggests you don't actually know anything about those prospects... Why form such a strong opinion on something you are clearly poorly informed about?

I think if CBJ is retaining, they'll prefer trading him for a bigger "quality" piece rather than quantity... But value-wise, I doubt they'll get more than what's in that proposal.

That you make that assumption based on a single post in a terribly thought out trade forum proposal suggests you lack any critical thinking skills. Why form such a strong opinion on something you are clearly poorly informed about?

Farrell and Konyuskov aren't anything more than small C grade long shot prospects. Equivalent hockey value to the change you might find in your couch. But sure Columbus are going to give up a 26 year old who's scored 200G in less than 500 games for them and a couple picks, and retain 4.4 million for two years for the pleasure :laugh:

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
When I saw "who says no" I was kinda hoping to see Halak, Ryder and a 2nd to Columbus for old times sake.

Not sure Columbus would say no to the deal. They'd be left speechless.
Yah know both Halak and Ryder had good careers and good values

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That you make that assumption based on a single post in a terribly thought out trade forum proposal suggests you lack any critical thinking skills. Why form such a strong opinion on something you are clearly poorly informed about?
I can only reply to what you write, and what you wrote was terribly uninformed.

Bad take is a bad take. Feel free to correct it.

Farrell and Konyuskov aren't anything more than small C grade long shot prospects.
Doubling down on a bad take. Bravo.

Equivalent hockey value to the change you might find in your couch. But sure Columbus are going to give up a 26 year old who's scored 200G in less than 500 games for them and a couple picks, and retain 4.4 million for two years for the pleasure :laugh:
Hyperbole weakens, rather than strengthens your take... And it was piss poor to begin with lol

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This guy gets paid nearly $9 million a year and has played less than 56 games in all four of the last four years. He now has a substance abuse record on his resume. What would your team give up for this dream of a player?

That's not even to mention that even if he had stayed healthy his whole career and not abused substances he's still a significant negative value on that contract based on the production he has while healthy.

I don't think Montreal has any interest in this guy. If we gave up the assets proposed in this deal for Laine, I'd be disappointed.
What substance are you referring to?

I'm left speechless by people who analyze hockey and think Laine at $8.7 million is worth actual assets considering any part of the circumstances. It's a terrible contract even with only 2 years left.
It's too bad you weren't speechless before making up a substance abuse comment.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was referring to the Habs side of the offer obviously.

I would bet that most GM's if offered Konyushkov or the Habs 2nd round pick, they would easily jump on that likely top 40 pick vs Konyuskhov.

Konyushkov vs Sean Farrell I would guess is much closer in value, as Farrell is more skilled but until his skating/speed improve a decent amount he's likely going to struggle to reach the NHL full time. Konyuskhov is also undersized and will likely have his issues as well.

Konyushkov vs a 4th round pick in '26, yes I would think he has more value then a 4th round pick in '26 currently.

Ledge And Dairy

They don't have to no that's true. They also have a new GM and a new head coach. Often in that situation there is an urgency to clear out guys who aren't nailed down that haven't worked out. If I'm Dean Evason I wouldn't want a star winger who didn't want to be there for very long while I'm trying to establish a new culture with the roster.

Columbus has given him permission to talk to other teams. I'd be more than a little surprised if he's on the Blue Jackets roster by Christmas.
But there isn't an urgency at all to move him. Yes he requested a trade, yes he has been made available. But no, they have no reason to rush a trade when his value is clearly at it's lowest. His value only goes up as he starts playing again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad