OT: Canadian Tennis

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Felix down 2 sets to Medvedev now. He had a set point at 5-3 in the second set but Medvedev ended up breaking him, then winning the next 3 games to take the set 7-5. Medvedev is on and Felix is really going to have to dig in and hope Medvedev tires if he wants to pull out a comeback.

Last edited:

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Felix down 2 sets to Medvedev now. He had a set point at 5-3 in the second set but Medvedev ended up breaking him, then winning the next 3 games to take the set 7-5. Medvedev is on and Felix is really going to have to dig in and hope Medvedev tires if he wants to pull out a comeback.

Medvedev went to another level when Felix was on set point in that 2nd set. 15 out of 17 points to steal the 2nd set is unbelievable, and then just dominated the 3rd set.

A great tournament from Felix though! And Canadian tennis as whole so far.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Medvedev went to another level when Felix was on set point in that 2nd set. 15 out of 17 points to steal the 2nd set is unbelievable, and then just dominated the 3rd set.

Yeah it was a good experience for Auger-Aliassime but he's still a little overmatched going up against the top players (Medvedev, Zverev, Djokovic).

Reactions: MuzzaFuzza

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

I did my part by not watching. I must be the great jinxer of Canadian tennis. Seen shapavalov lose in person, seen Canada lose Davis cup draws in person and Raonic for a decade sucked almost anytime I watched him. I seriously have never seen Felix win a match. Anytime I'm watching he's not at his best.

I swear Genie Bouchard had to retire because I couldn't take my eyes off her..its all my fault.

Haven't watched Fernandez this tournament either and thats going well so kind of confirms. I'll make a commitment not to watch the final. doing my part for Canada. I;m also trying to cut Bianca some slack by not watching but nothing seems to be helping her. I'm also jinxing Naomi Osaka by NOT watching. Anytime I don't watch her she flames out and bursts into tears and leaves interviews etc. I'm a good guy doing my part. I hate not to see it..I'm making huge sacrifices here for the team..;)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Have to post this because its so odd, and has always been going on. Teachers telling great Athletes that they should focus on school and drop sports.

Leylah Fernandez says former teacher told her to quit tennis (msn.com)

In the article Penny Oleksiuk was also given the same advice and when I was in highschool Mark Messier was being told by a couple teachers that he should NOT drop out and play in WHA, and he should stay in school instead. Mark ignored the advice, didn't finish the grade 11, and was making 60K per year in the WHA, more than any teacher or Principal in the City was making at the time, and the rest is history.

Teachers really need to get over themselves. Their vision is so typically myopic. They think everybody should stay in school, go to University, get a masters degree, stay in school forever. Its like they think its the only path even when its inane to think that. Fernandez was probably close as it comes to a sure thing.

Invariably so many successful people in history have put their dreams ahead of school and did well because of it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Have to post this because its so odd, and has always been going on. Teachers telling great Athletes that they should focus on school and drop sports.

In the article Penny Oleksiuk was also given the same advice and when I was in highschool Mark Messier was being told by a couple teachers that he should NOT drop out and play in WHA, and he should stay in school instead. Mark ignored the advice, didn't finish the grade 11, and was making 60K per year in the WHA, more than any teacher or Principal in the City was making at the time, and the rest is history.

Teachers really need to get over themselves. Their vision is so typically myopic. They think everybody should stay in school, go to University, get a masters degree, stay in school forever. Its like they think its the only path even when its inane to think that. Fernandez was probably close as it comes to a sure thing.

Invariably so many successful people in history have put their dreams ahead of school and did well because of it.
Teachers seem to think the only way to be successful is to stay in school and study.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Yes, and they are only right 99% of the time. I think teachers should teach for the 99%. That said following your dreams should be part of the discussion.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Oh man, what a match so far. These girls are fighting for every point, and the games are going long. Raducanu took the first set 6-4 after breaking Leylah to win the set. Leylah just broke Raducanu to go up 2-1 in the second set after another lengthy game. Leylah can't get her first serve in though so it's really putting her behind the 8-ball.

Edit: Raducanu breaks right back to make it 2-2.

Emma Raducanu has now won the last 4 games and is up 5-2 with one more game giving her the title. Leylah's serve. She's gotta hold serve and break Raducanu or it's over.

Well that does it. After Leylah battled back to hold serve and then was a point away from the break, Raducanu has to take a medical timeout for a bloody knee (which Leylah was very unhappy about). They come back after the timeout and Raducanu serves out for the win.

Last edited:

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
You could tell that long break really got to Fernandez, she looked pretty worked up during it.

Tough finish but what a phenomenal tournament by her!

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Tough way to go out for Leylah after a hard fought match which lasted about 2 hours (didn't see the final time listed). Leylah just couldn't get her serve in enough so she was chasing too often in her service games, put some untimely shots into the net, and Raducanu had some opportune shots which caught the line and turned points in her favour.

Raducanu played really well though. She was the better player today, but man is Fernandez a fighter and such a joy to watch. She does a great job of extending points so that she can win them, and really does a nice job of constructing points. It is going to be fun to see how these young women progress over the next number of years because they're both quite talented, think their way around the court well, try to make shots and move their opponents around the court, have a lot of poise, and don't make silly errors (as mentioned by the broadcast crew).

And man, Leylah was clearly gutted after the loss, but really nice words she shared in spite of clearly being pretty upset.

Reactions: oilers'72

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The quality will go down if they play best of 5's.

Vs an 18 year old winning the US Open without dropping a set?

For the record I thought Radanucu was the favourite going into this match, and would have had her winning a best of 5 vs Fernandez as well. But the overall quality of the women’s side is low

They’re professional athletes. Would probably be better quality if they had to have the stamina to play.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Vs an 18 year old winning the US Open without dropping a set?

For the record I thought Radanucu was the favourite going into this match, and would have had her winning a best of 5 vs Fernandez as well. But the overall quality of the women’s side is low

They’re professional athletes. Would probably be better quality if they had to have the stamina to play.
Making it a best of 5 was going to do what with how much she dominated everyone?

These 2 were the best 2 in the tournament.

It's not their fault they're in the final.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Making it a best of 5 was going to do what with how much she dominated everyone?

These 2 were the best 2 in the tournament.

It's not their fault they're in the final.

Its actually quite possible that a veteran would have beat either of them in a best of 5. Allowing them to settle in, change up strategy, wear an inexperienced player down.

Imagine if the men’s was a best of 3. Djokovic has dropped the first set many matches this year, it would completely change the mental game on both sides. Meanwhile he’s one match from sweeping the Opens this year

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Its actually quite possible that a veteran would have beat either of them in a best of 5. Allowing them to settle in, change up strategy, wear an inexperienced player down.

Imagine if the men’s was a best of 3. Djokovic has dropped the first set many matches this year, it would completely change the mental game on both sides. Meanwhile he’s one match from sweeping the Opens this year
If only it was best on 7's then.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
If only it was best on 7's then.

Stop arguing past my point, it’s all you’ve got.

Your reason for the women not playing best of 5’s like the men is “the quality will go down”. Is it so difficult to consider that the quality might go up if the women had to have the athletic ability to play best of 5s?

If you disagree, fine, but stop with the pedantic bullshit please

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Stop arguing past my point, it’s all you’ve got.

Your reason for the women not playing best of 5’s like the men is “the quality will go down”. Is it so difficult to consider that the quality might go up if the women had to have the athletic ability to play best of 5s?

If you disagree, fine, but stop with the pedantic bullshit please
You think the quality is going to go up, with the players get more tired?

I will say though that if they did go to best of 5's.

It should only start in the quarters or semi's.

The rest should remain best of 3.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You think the quality is going to go up, with the players get more tired?

I think that @Drivesaitl is right when he pointed out that some of the best female tennis players have been “out of shape”. What’s to stop them from being like Sakkari and aiming to be peak levels of fitness?

What other sports have these types of differences expected? Female sprinters don’t run 60M and call it 100M?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad