OT: Canadian Tennis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
We’ve been following a shitty team in the Oilers for years, actually decades and yet we have people complaining the level of tennis in the Fernandez and Raducanu match up is low? Lol

No, maybe if you read what I said, women’s tennis should be best of 5 like the men’s.

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
You could tell that long break really got to Fernandez, she looked pretty worked up during it.
This is what I didn't understand. The timing of the medical timeout was obviously unlucky for Leylah, but in a way it was unlucky for Emma as well. She was sitting there for 5 minutes, probably thinking about having to face a break point after the treatment - that can't have been easy.

I also can't understand why Leylah chose to have that animated discussion with the supervisor. I mean, if Emma had taken a medical timeout due to cramp, you could be forgiven for thinking, does she really have a cramp or is this some tactical BS? But Emma's scratched leg and the blood was clearly there for everyone to see, and of course the umpire didn't force her to continue playing with blood running down her leg. I mean, why on earth would Leylah get worked up over this? I don't get it.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
This is what I didn't understand. The timing of the medical timeout was obviously unlucky for Leylah, but in a way it was unlucky for Emma as well. She was sitting there for 5 minutes, probably thinking about having to face a break point after the treatment - that can't have been easy.

I also can't understand why Leylah chose to have that animated discussion with the supervisor. I mean, if Emma had taken a medical timeout due to cramp, you could be forgiven for thinking, does she really have a cramp or is this some tactical BS? But Emma's scratched leg and the blood was clearly there for everyone to see, and of course the umpire didn't force her to continue playing with blood running down her leg. I mean, why on earth would Leylah get worked up over this? I don't get it.

I agree it was something she shouldn't have been have gotten that upset over. But i'll give her the benefit of the doubt here. Unranked 19 year old in the US open final and the heat of the moment got to her.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

I believe if I heard what Leylah was saying correctly, was that previously in the tournament she had a similar situation and was not given a medical timeout, so she was asking why there was a double standard. I'm not sure what she would be referring to, unless it was the reason she left the court in between the 1st and 2nd sets and she had previously asked for a medical timeout and wasn't given one. I didn't see that, but it's the only thing in this match that I could think of. I'm guessing more likely it was from another match, but who knows.

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No, maybe if you read what I said, women’s tennis should be best of 5 like the men’s.
Why would you want the women to play best of 5? Do you want to see the players passing out? It's not easy to play 5 sets especially if the match become 4 hours or more?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Why would you want the women to play best of 5? Do you want to see the players passing out? It's not easy to play 5 sets especially if the match become 4 hours or more?

Maybe the men should just play best of 3s then. There are clearly players that would benefit from it that are worn out by set 5.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

This is all Tsitipas’ fault isn’t it? Or at least the fault of tennis officials. All players have heard for the past 3 or 4 weeks is that he’s cheating by taking ill-timed bathroom breaks to mess with his opponents when they have the momentum and he certainly isn’t the only one bending the rules in similar ways. Players see anything out of the ordinary right now and they assume the worst. If tennis clamped down on that type of crap players wouldn’t be on edge over it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Maybe the men should just play best of 3s then. There are clearly players that would benefit from it that are worn out by set 5.
Why are you bringing up men? We are discussing about women. Like I said, 5 sets is extremely exhausting. Some of the women will pass out if the matches goes to 5 hours

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Women’s tennis really needs to be best of 5. There’s a chance this wouldn’t even be the finals matchup.

Yeah, for top level sporting competition its a joke to only go 3 sets and potentially have a winner in two sets. I mean a match can end so fast in Womens tennis.

I mean Margaret Court once one a match in 24minutes. Steffi Graf won one in 34minutes. A ton of pro tour womens matches have had scorelines of 6-0, 6-0. Not even competitive. How does this even appeal to advertisers or networks. Chronically with Womens Tennis its the standard 2hr time slot but with the actual content invariably fitting into an hour. With the rest being fill and people changing the channel. How is this even tenable either for ticket sales or for viewers.

I mean I've never paid to see Womens Tennis. Don't think I ever would.

Why Women Don’t Play Best-Of-Five Matches At Grand Slams – ThinkProgress

The article title is misleading. It offers no explanation as to the why, just that in Womens Tennis through history it has gone from 3-5 game matches several times in history and changing often. Although much more commonly best out of 3 format.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Why are you bringing up men? We are discussing about women. Like I said, 5 sets is extremely exhausting. Some of the women will pass out if the matches goes to 5 hours
It’s amazing the lack of logical thought on this topic And then of course the usual suspects come in with the extreme example to try and prove a fallacious point, together with some other pejorative bs.
Men are far, far stronger. That’s the reason.
More news at 11.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Why not? My point is they should be playing the same amount of sets. That’s why I originally brought it up. Is that not allowed?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It’s amazing the lack of logical thought on this topic And then of course the usual suspects come in with the extreme example to try and prove a fallacious point, together with some other pejorative bs.
Men are far, far stronger. That’s the reason.
More news at 11.

Oh, I get it now. Thank you :thumbu:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
They should just go ahead and adjust women’s sports and athletic competitions with all of that in mind then, I guess :sarcasm:

Edit: autocorrect

I’ll add:

Andreescu v Sakkari likely would have gone differently if Andreescu had the cardiovascular (not “brute” strength which is not a problem for her being one of the stronger female players) levels of Sakkari. Sakkari would easily go to 5 sets. There are other female tennis players that have the fitness (not strength) levels to do so. And many more that could if they were in top cardiovascular shape, which is what most athletes should aim to be in, no?

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why not? My point is they should be playing the same amount of sets. That’s why I originally brought it up. Is that not allowed?
Your only point is to come here and stroke your own ego. Men are physically superior to women. Women don't have the endurance to keep up with men. There's a reason there's a men and women division. We all know this. No need for you to come here and point that out. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Barrsy

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Your only point is to come here and stroke your own ego. Men are physically superior to women. Women don't have the endurance to keep up with men. There's a reason there's a men and women division. We all know this. No need for you to come here and point that out. MOD
Bingo

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
How’s that then? He seems to be arguing that women are capable of more. You seem to be arguing that they will pass out.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I’d ask you to kindly stop with the personal attacks.

It has nothing to do with me or my ego

Edit: nevermind

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
How’s that then? He seems to be arguing that women are capable of more. You seem to be arguing that they will pass out.

Funny enough he’s stroking his ego by saying that women aren’t capable of playing with endurance because they’re “weaker” than men MOD.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Well deserved, Meddy on his way to unseating the big three. What an exciting talent!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

What on Earth?

Check the thread title. Canadian Tennis. It isn't a womens specific thread as you seem to allude. People are just discussing Tennis in a general sense, and with no Canadians competing today, that would seem to be OK.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Guess he just wanted to win every set 6-4.

Djokovic denied the outright lead in major tournament wins and same-season grand slam.
This has to be a huge blow for Novak. The one thing he doesn’t have was within his grasp and he couldn’t grab onto it. Taken him a lifetime to get that close to a Grand Slam and it’s unlikely he’ll get that close again at his age.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

I would tend to think somebody coming online with such anonymous flame might be making an ironic post. But you seem completely serious about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad