GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not gonna disagree with anything you’re saying here. I’m only commenting because once again it’s us getting caught for something and it’s embarrassing as hell. Likely worse this time because we’re caught cheating against an opening round opponent that isn’t even a contender in any way.
Maybe a little paranoid but it just seems as well that Canada is by now disrespected and the world loves to nail any transgression and pretty specifically, and have been since Ben Johnson. Not that he was the cause, but Canada collectively losing any respect some parts of the world may have had for it and this being eroded on a daily basis.

Canada is also a convenient target to such sending of messages. I wonder how many other countries would've been nailed just the same.

Its embarrassing that I'll still watch some Olympic events. I shouldn't, and I should know better. ;)

That said I wouldn't even have known the Olympics started already.

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe a little paranoid but it just seems as well that Canada is by now disrespected and the world loves to nail any transgression and pretty specifically, and have been since Ben Johnson. Not that he was the cause, but Canada collectively losing any respect some parts of the world may have had for it and this being eroded on a daily basis.

Canada is also a convenient target to such sending of messages. I wonder how many other countries would've been nailed just the same.

Its embarrassing that I'll still watch some Olympic events. I shouldn't, and I should know better. ;)

That said I wouldn't even have known the Olympics started already.
I was looking forward to watching these Olympics and I still am. I did a personal boycott of the WInter Games in China and didn’t watch a minute of those games.

The games are political and Canada has always been an easy target. It’s different now though as we have become a joke over the last several years internationally. We can’t go as long as we’ve gone without serious leadership and avoid consequences.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I feel the same shame over this that I did in 1988 over the Ben Johnson steroids scandal
I felt zero shame over that. They were all cheating. I have a photo of the runners in that race lined up in the starting blocks. Beside each man there is a date on which they were busted for steroid use. Several with multiple busts. I think there was one clean guy in that race. To this day that race is the best sporting moment I have ever witnessed. Big Ben obliterated that field.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I felt zero shame over that. They were all cheating. I have a photo of the runners in that race lined up in the starting blocks. Beside each man there is a date on which they were busted for steroid use. Several with multiple busts. I think there was one clean guy in that race. To this day that race is the best sporting moment I have ever witnessed. Big Ben obliterated that field.
What we know today, we didn’t know in 1988. It was awful when it happened and it only happened to us. This may even be the same situation but again, it’s only happening to us.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Shit is about to hit the fan.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they strip the gold medal.

I mean if you’re going to cheat, maybe do it conspicuously without flying a drone overhead? lol.

Reactions: joestevens29

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I mean if you’re going to cheat, maybe do it conspicuously without flying a drone overhead? lol.
I guess this is John Herdman’s legacy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada Soccer has suspended Priestman for the duration of the Olympics.
I can’t believe they haven’t fired her yet.

She’s gonna be public enemy #1 both here and abroad once they finalize all the sanctions. I think we’re gonna lose that gold medal.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I can’t believe they haven’t fired her yet.

She’s gonna be public enemy #1 both here and abroad once they finalize all the sanctions. I think we’re gonna lose that gold medal.
Not surprised she hasn’t been fired yet. This is all happening at once and not all the facts are in yet. My guess is they’re getting all their ducks in a row and it’ll be done after the games are over and everybody gets back home. The important thing was just getting her away from the team for now.
We need to see how deep this goes. That they were busted cheating against their weakest opponent in their opening game and that the men’s program has been accused of this in the past too suggests to me that not only was this a systemic thing for them but that everybody knew they were doing it and were just waiting to catch them. Priestman might not even be the top of the food chain here. This sure sucks though and has really zapped my enthusiasm for these games and they aren’t even officially open yet.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not surprised she hasn’t been fired yet. This is all happening at once and not all the facts are in yet. My guess is they’re getting all their ducks in a row and it’ll be done after the games are over and everybody gets back home. The important thing was just getting her away from the team for now.
We need to see how deep this goes. That they were busted cheating against their weakest opponent in their opening game and that the men’s program has been accused of this in the past too suggests to me that not only was this a systemic thing for them but that everybody knew they were doing it and were just waiting to catch them. Priestman might not even be the top of the food chain here. This sure sucks though and has really zapped my enthusiasm for these games and they aren’t even officially open yet.
My guess is Herdman was at least controlling part of this and since Priestman was his assistant coach for so long she continued with it after he left for the men’s program.

If I had to guess I’d think Herdman brought it with him over to the men’s side.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My guess is Herdman was at least controlling part of this and since Priestman was his assistant coach for so long she continued with it after he left for the men’s program.

If I had to guess I’d think Herdman brought it with him over to the men’s side.
My guess is Herdman was the root of this. Just a matter of finding out who else knew what was going on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Remember me talking about what a jackass shithead Herdman was? Can't stand the f***er. Good riddance. What a legacy. A coach so despised that the opposition get more fired up to paste us. Especially Croatia.
It’s not a good look for sure. Although it looks like this became a pervasive culture within the CSA and Priestman just continued on with the tradition.

Also, I know the article says other countries don’t do it, but I’d bet some do but are just smart enough not to get caught flying a f***ing drone over a practice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

What I find truly funny if these is going on for years, how did it take this long to get caught?

I wonder if any of this is part why that General Secretary quit before she started

This whole thing is just absolutely disgusting. Not sure I have an appetite to follow soccer now at the Olympics.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What I find truly funny if these is going on for years, how did it take this long to get caught?

I wonder if any of this is part why that General Secretary quit before she started

This whole thing is just absolutely disgusting. Not sure I have an appetite to follow soccer now at the Olympics.
Looks like they decided now was the time to make an example out of them. This has a Ben Johnson/Seoul vibe to me where it’s become a big problem in the sport and they finally decided it was time to do something about.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like they decided now was the time to make an example out of them. This has a Ben Johnson/Seoul vibe to me where it’s become a big problem in the sport and they finally decided it was time to do something about.
I'm a little surprised to why nothing has happened until now. After reading Westhead's story it sure seems like they've been caught a lot.

I'm also surprised why you'd keep doing this as you know sooner or later the "next" time you get caught could be disastrous.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m a little surprised to why nothing has happened until now. After reading Westhead's story it sure seems like they've been caught a lot.

I'm also surprised why you'd keep doing this as you know sooner or later the "next" time you get caught could be disastrous.
None of this makes any sense. It could be as simple as these people were hired specifically to do this and since they’re being paid they’re still doing their jobs. Intelligence and bureaucracy don’t work well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad