GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Kinda chuckle at this. Completely ignoring corrupt reffing.
But you do you. So obsessed with being right about the incompetence of Canada you double down. And double down. And double down.
And look silly in the process
What on Earth are you babbling about. Canada got two Wins in group stage because opponents were red carded and playing one man short. Just because the Canadian players and the coach expect every call to go their way doesn't mean thats how its been transpiring. If I'm Canada I sure shouldn't feel jobbed in this tournament. Despite Marsh protesting anything and everything and biased commentary on broadcast that is a homer broadcast.

Reactions: On The Prowl

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
What on Earth are you babbling about. Canada got two Wins in group stage because opponents were red carded and playing one man short. Just because the Canadian players and the coach expect every call to go their way doesn't mean thats how its been transpiring. If I'm Canada I sure shouldn't feel jobbed in this tournament. Despite Marsh protesting anything and everything and biased commentary on broadcast that is a homer broadcast.
I have to agree with your statements, Canada really did squeeze through, David and Davies were quite disappointing as you mentioned.

This team needs to find some finish, until they do it will be a lot of “they were close” type comments, 0-0 ties only take you so far l, and they typically happen against sub par teams.

The team has obviously improved over the last decade but it would be nice to build on that, because they have regressed from the last World Cup play ins.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Davies and David were crap. Both were awful. So bad that Kone by comparison playing with some verve and energy looked miles better. Seems like some players don't bring their all to Canada.

Draws have a lot to do with who advances. Plus Canada was up a man for almost two complete matches seeing opponents red carded in successive games. Even at that bad we barely got through those. Canada has had the kind of extreme luck and fortune that makes one wonder if FIFA is giving us some favors with the WC coming up.

Despite the team advancing to where they did I can't say the play was all that great. Seems like since the last WC some of the juice got knocked out of the Canadian club.
Canada made it to the semi-finals and that’s an accomplishment, I guess. I wouldn’t describe what they did in this tournament as any more than surviving to the semi- finals. They were not impressive at any point. As you pointed out, they played up a man in 2 games. Peru got a red card in the 59th minute and Chile got a red card in the 27th minute. They scored 1 goal against Peru and nothing against Chile. The lack of finish on this team is a real issue as they’ve scored only 2 goals in 5 games in this tournament and they failed to score in the two friendlies just prior.

If I’m going to be honest, I expected more from these guys after they finished World Cup qualifying. Not so much in winning but from an excitement standpoint. They were a disappointment at the World Cup but I was fine with blaming most of that on Herdman who pretty much imploded over there. They’ve just looked disinterested since then.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was amusing watching the TSN panel after the England game and seeing the Scotsman and the Irishman unable to hide their contempt for England. Reminded me a lot of that Sportsnet panel with Kelly Hrudey, Cassie Campbell and Elliott Friedman talking about an Oilers win.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I have to agree with your statements, Canada really did squeeze through, David and Davies were quite disappointing as you mentioned.

This team needs to find some finish, until they do it will be a lot of “they were close” type comments, 0-0 ties only take you so far l, and they typically happen against sub par teams.

The team has obviously improved over the last decade but it would be nice to build on that, because they have regressed from the last World Cup play ins.
Yeah. Not like I'm making it up. Most of the telecast and the tournament were talking about David needing to do something and that he was really letting the team down. As well comments on Davies lacking any explosive runs and not really doing much of anything that was characteristic of his play when he rose to prominence.

The reality of this tournament is Kone and Shaffelburg have been better and its not even close. Also of note that Larin has been fine as well. He's creating and making some plays. Laryea continuing to be tireless on pitch and working hard.

There are Canadians that are busting their butt for Canada but the best players are not, for some reason.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Canada made it to the semi-finals and that’s an accomplishment, I guess. I wouldn’t describe what they did in this tournament as any more than surviving to the semi- finals. They were not impressive at any point. As you pointed out, they played up a man in 2 games. Peru got a red card in the 59th minute and Chile got a red card in the 27th minute. They scored 1 goal against Peru and nothing against Chile. The lack of finish on this team is a real issue as they’ve scored only 2 goals in 5 games in this tournament and they failed to score in the two friendlies just prior.

If I’m going to be honest, I expected more from these guys after they finished World Cup qualifying. Not so much in winning but from an excitement standpoint. They were a disappointment at the World Cup but I was fine with blaming most of that on Herdman who pretty much imploded over there. They’ve just looked disinterested since then.
Doesn't it seem like the zenith of the team was pre olympics and at qualifying and that things have gone down hill from there? Seems that way to me. Also Argentina just toying with us in the two games and could fill the net. As it is they won each game easy which is completely understandable. But its the only real quality side Canada faced. Chile who have seen better days failed to score the whole tournament. We didn't beat them, just a draw playing one man up. The result of the tournament for Canada was edging Peru with man advantage and 1-nil slimmest of margins.

Even in knockout stage we see a relatively weak Venezuela side ranked lower than Canada who we should be favored to beat. We needed penalties to decide that one.

Yeah, Herdman WC was a joke. His temperament and behavior worse. "Gonna f*** Croatia up" jebus. In all the time following sports I've rarely seen a coach make a more idiotic pronouncement.

Canada has some chance to get something more out of this against Uruguay but these consolation finals are often not played with same spirit. I think Canada would have lost against either Columbia or Uruguay yesterday. But that was a slobberknocker with players getting thrown out, injured, and not available for the last matches. Canada and Argentina got a favor there.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Davies and David were crap. Both were awful. So bad that Kone by comparison playing with some verve and energy looked miles better. Seems like some players don't bring their all to Canada.

Draws have a lot to do with who advances. Plus Canada was up a man for almost two complete matches seeing opponents red carded in successive games. Even at that bad we barely got through those. Canada has had the kind of extreme luck and fortune that makes one wonder if FIFA is giving us some favors with the WC coming up.

Despite the team advancing to where they did I can't say the play was all that great. Seems like since the last WC some of the juice got knocked out of the Canadian club.
Shocker, slamming the best players we got

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Maybe you can't read. The TSN broadcast was saying the same thing I've stated, identical, and singling out the performance of the players I mentioned, who were far from Canada's "best players" in the tournament or in the knockout in the quarterfinal in question.
But you don’t watch TSN, you’ve stated over and over how awful they are. Now you agree with them like it’s the law of the land.
Take another week off.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
It was amusing watching the TSN panel after the England game and seeing the Scotsman and the Irishman unable to hide their contempt for England. Reminded me a lot of that Sportsnet panel with Kelly Hrudey, Cassie Campbell and Elliott Friedman talking about an Oilers win.
Tbf - if you live in Europe and see what English fans are like, you would understand.

Scottish fans were best fans visiting in Germany. Very respectful.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
But you don’t watch TSN, you’ve stated over and over how awful they are. Now you agree with them like it’s the law of the land.
Take another week off.
Why bother. Its his thing when it comes to Canadian soccer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Why bother. Its his thing when it comes to Canadian soccer.
lol I've been a fan of Canadian Soccer and going to games since the 70's. I've been to more National Team games than anybody on this board. There wasn't a bigger supporter of Womens soccer National side for instance on this board. I've attended every tournament played here Mens, Womens, U20 etc and often had tournament passes. I'm a huge Football fan.

Take another week off.
The Scottish guy on the broadcast, Steven Caldwell,, has always actually been good. Enjoy his commentary and he's usually on the money.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
lol I've been a fan of Canadian Soccer and going to games since the 70's. I've been to more National Team games than anybody on this board. There wasn't a bigger supporter of Womens soccer National side for instance on this board. I've attended every tournament played here Mens, Womens, U20 etc and often had tournament passes. I'm a huge Football fan.

The Scottish guy on the broadcast, Steven Caldwell,, has always actually been good. Enjoy his commentary and he's usually on the money.
If you want to put a gun to your head, use the alternative method. Listen to the Fox guys during COPA. Their telecast of the Uruguay/US was the most embarrassing display of broadcasting I have ever heard.
Ever.
And yes, I recognize that you have been a huge fan of Canadian soccer, and particularly the women.. But your benevolence to the women vs the men isn't in the same stratosphere.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
If you want to put a gun to your head, use the alternative method. Listen to the Fox guys during COPA. Their telecast of the Uruguay/US was the most embarrassing display of broadcasting I have ever heard.
Ever.
And yes, I recognize that you have been a huge fan of Canadian soccer, and particularly the women.. But your benevolence to the women vs the men isn't in the same stratosphere.
The Womens team had superstars like Christine Sinclair and formerly Kara Lang. Thats the time I fell in love with the Womens program. But I'd been following MNT since Craig Forrest was in goal or the Lenarduzzis were playing. I just don't get you calling me out on not being a fan or something.

The Mens team will get more accolades when they play better. They haven't since the Olympics. Alphonso Davies used to be electric for Canada. What happened to that version?

I've liked the play of Shaffelburg, Larin, Laryea, Kone, some of the defenders. But a team has to be getting a bit more from its stars.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Even Mick recognized the performance of Team Canada. Mind you, he's not too "up" on the political mood in Canada.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Watching Argentina play Soccer is an embarrassment.

Falling down without contact, screaming in pain from a simple ball touch.

Start handing out yellow cards for these blantant dives and it'll be fixed pretty quickly.

You clearly didnt watch the Venezuela game.

Besides the finishing that was one of the best games the Canadian national team has played in a long time.

Reactions: oilers'72

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
That was f***ing embarrassing.

Blown 2-1 lead, didn’t even try to defend the lead.

Davies and Kone should be ashamed of those 2 attempts in the shootout.

What a win would’ve done for this country, instead it’s a waste.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad