Canadian coach what were you thinking!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Nick Paul is 0 for 1 in his career in terms of shootout percentage.

John Tavares is 1 for 10.

Owen Power is 2 for 4.

Damon Severson is 5 for 9.
You go by who is having the hottest game at the time at this tournament not what they have in the NHL.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You go by who is having the hottest game at the time at this tournament not what they have in the NHL.

It depends on whether you regard the shootout as its own specialized skillset or whether you think it's related to in-game play.

I tend to disagree with you.

Ottawa used to have Jarkko Ruutu in the shootout because it was a skill that he had mastered. It had nothing to do with how he played in the game.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
It depends on whether you regard the shootout as its own specialized skillset or whether you think it's related to in-game play.

I tend to disagree with you.

Ottawa used to have Jarkko Ruutu in the shootout because it was a skill that he had mastered. It had nothing to do with how he played in the game.
Yea this worked out really well today

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yea this worked out really well today

Ok.

I've seen a ton of Nick Paul and there's a reason why he's been selected for the shootout once in his entire career.

It's a shootout. It's always going to be a bit of a coin flip.

They didn't lose the game in the SO, they lost the game when they didn't score on the 4 on 3 PP in OT. Bedard was on the ice for that PP BTW.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I touched on this in the team thread but it did annoy me that Bedard was not involved in the last 3 mins of 3v3, nor in any real permanent capacity with any line throughout the game today, and appeared to be held to a different standard by Tourigny throughout the tournament. Players like Tavares (blue line PP turnover in the first Swiss game that lead to a breakaway), McCann (lazy trip that lead to Swiss first goal), and Dubois (Turned the puck over in overtime against Czechia and took a lazy holding penalty), committed similar errors to Bédard but were never held accountable for such in terms of ice time.

In addition, even after the first 3 games where he was clearly Canada’s best player and drove play at a higher rate than anyone else, he was not promoted to the first power play and started to be replaced on the fourth line by Guenther.

As could be seen in the power play that tied the game up, teams cheat the shot lanes so heavily when he is on the ice that it opens up loads of space for his teammates. I hope in the future someone Like Gallant (who, recognizing power’s talent, rode him very heavily in the GMG in 2021) will be prioritized for coaching the team over coaches that want to jettison Celebrini or Fantilli at the expense of keeping players like Bunting or McBain, who seemed to be favoured by Tourigny because of his prior associations with them.

Reactions: Canfly

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
not shooting against Bobrovsky or Shesterkin either

Ok.

I've seen a ton of Nick Paul and there's a reason why he's been selected for the shootout once in his entire career.

It's a shootout. It's always going to be a bit of a coin flip.

They didn't lose the game in the SO, they lost the game when they didn't score on the 4 on 3 PP in OT. Bedard was on the ice for that PP BTW.
He was also on the PP to tie the game and was the driving force

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I touched on this in the team thread but it did annoy me that Bedard was not involved in the last 3 mins of 3v3, nor in any real permanent capacity with any line throughout the game today, and appeared to be held to a different standard by Tourigny throughout the tournament. Players like Tavares (blue line PP turnover in the first Swiss game that lead to a breakaway), McCann (lazy trip that lead to Swiss first goal), and Dubois (Turned the puck over in overtime against Czechia and took a lazy holding penalty), committed similar errors to Bédard but were never held accountable for such in terms of ice time.

There is no accent in Bedard.

• Wow
Reactions: Faterson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am baffled as to why Canada had Conner Bedard on the bench with a three on three situation. In ten minutes of OT they should have got a whistle and had three on three. You have a hockey phenom sitting on the bench chomping at the bit and you sit him. Totally unacceptable. The match ups were a no brainer. I blame the coach for his inaction.
Was Marc Crawford the coach?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He was also on the PP to tie the game and was the driving force

Sure, and he was good today.

Contrary to popular belief, he had a lot of time on the PP over the course of the tournament, and it was still poor.

For large stretches of the tournament, he was invisible at best and detrimental at worst. Game after game after his initial flurry against the weaker competition.

His icetime was adjusted accordingly.

Obviously I wanted Bedard to come in and dominate the tournament, but he didn't. His icetime was better employed by other players. Canada won every game so the strategy worked.

When Canada was down in the semi-final, Tourigny put Bedard and Zellweger out with more frequency.

On the 4 on 3, Bedard and his teammates failed to score in OT and that's on him as much as it is on anyone else or the coach.

Reactions: G Backup

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016

Contrary to popular belief, he had a lot of time on the PP over the course of the tournament, and it was still poor.

For large stretches of the tournament, he was invisible at best and detrimental at worst. Game after game after his initial flurry against the weaker competition.

Obviously I wanted Bedard to come in and dominate the tournament, but he didn't. His icetime was better employed by other players. Canada won every game so the strategy worked.

When Canada was down in the semi-final, Tourigny put Bedard and Zellweger out with more frequency.

On the 4 on 3, Bedard and his teammates failed to score in OT and that's on him as much as it is on anyone else or the coach.
Not when it was three on three with two minutes to go and again I will reiterate that you go for the win then. Not in a shootout because like you said is is a crap shoot

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not when it was three on three with two minutes to go and again I will reiterate that you go for the win then. Not in a shootout because like you said is is a crap shoot

I mean, maybe, ok.

But I think there's a substantial difference between "I would have liked to see Bedard out there in the last two minutes" vs. "Canada lost because Bedard wasn't out there and it's the coach's fault".

Not sure what side of that argument you are on.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Coaches decision so take it for what it is worth. He is a defensive minded coach and it showed that he was playing for the shootout

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Just occured to me.. Canada has yet to lose in regulation as well

Reminds me of the 2011 Czech team.. we won Gold in 2010 on a miracle run. In 2011 we sent a damn good team (we were still good then) and rolled the entire tournament but f***ed up the Semi. 1 loss and a bronze. 2010 I think we had 4 losses and a Gold. Hockey can be cruel.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just occured to me.. Canada has yet to lose in regulation as well

Reminds me of the 2011 Czech team.. we won Gold in 2010 on a miracle run. In 2011 we sent a damn good team (we were still good then) and rolled the entire tournament but f***ed up the Semi. 1 loss and a bronze. 2010 I think we had 4 losses and a Gold. Hockey can be cruel.

The weaknesses of this team were special teams and shootout candidates.

Unfortunately for Canada, they both were factors in the game against Switzerland.

The Swiss always play Canada tough so I’m not particularly surprised by the result.

Last edited:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
A lot of hand-wringing over a guy who was maybe Canada's 6th best forward at this tournament. I suspect a lot of people are too blinded by his draft pedigree to see the player that was actually there: a very young player that has yet to learn how to play big-boy hockey. That's ok; it'll come. But he's not there yet.

He looked great against the sub-AHL teams, or when leading the rush with the puck on his stick. Otherwise he was pretty poor in every other facet of play. I actually wouldn't have minded the dumb penalties or poor defensive play if he was as electric in the o-zone as people seemed to think he would be, but I thought he took a lot of poor decisions on offense as well.

Despite all that, Tourigny did promote him to the Tavares line and the first PP in the semifinal. Didn't make much of a difference. Bedard just isn't yet at the stage of his career where he can be the focal point of Canada's offense, even at the WCs.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
A lot of hand-wringing over a guy who was maybe Canada's 6th best forward at this tournament. I suspect a lot of people are too blinded by his draft pedigree to see the player that was actually there: a very young player that has yet to learn how to play big-boy hockey. That's ok; it'll come. But he's not there yet.

He looked great against the sub-AHL teams, or when leading the rush with the puck on his stick. Otherwise he was pretty poor in every other facet of play. I actually wouldn't have minded the dumb penalties or poor defensive play if he was as electric in the o-zone as people seemed to think he would be, but I thought he took a lot of poor decisions on offense as well.

Despite all that, Tourigny did promote him to the Tavares line and the first PP in the semifinal. Didn't make much of a difference. Bedard just isn't yet at the stage of his career where he can be the focal point of Canada's offense, even at the WCs.
That's the general gist I've been reading from the Canuck posters.

All I noticed was that he was dangerous every shift and noticeable but then he'd be in the box with this 'mom took my iphone' type look.lol I think he'll be a Top 5 NHL player soon and will build on this. Curious how Michkov compares now that he's supposedly coming.

Reactions: G Backup

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I am baffled as to why Canada had Conner Bedard on the bench with a three on three situation. In ten minutes of OT they should have got a whistle and had three on three. You have a hockey phenom sitting on the bench chomping at the bit and you sit him. Totally unacceptable. The match ups were a no brainer. I blame the coach for his inaction.

That’s what it took to join the forums, and create a thread. Welcome then, and enjoy.
hope it’s not a burner.
lol, it looks like it was a burner account.
Only this post still on the forums.
@pkazzz

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree on the whistle and on having Bedard out there 3 on 3. They needed to stop play and they didn't. Not sure why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad