Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy to just throw unfounded accusations around.
I guess we will see where it lands with the men. I feel there is going to be a deep dive... That is coming and may take some time to complete.

There is a great deal at stake.. both past and future.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess we will see where it lands with the men. I feel there is going to be a deep dive... That is coming and may take some time to complete.

There is a great deal at stake.. both past and future.

Well, CSA has been a gong show for seemingly forever so maybe this is a good wake up call from top to bottom.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I gotta be honest, I don't really give all that much of a shit if they drone spyed on New Zealand. I've been watching soccer long enough to know integrity in the sport amounts to wishful thinking. What are they even realistically going to gleam. Oh wow they're planning on kicking it towards our goal while trying to stop us kicking the ball towards theirs. Don't give me that set piece BS, even the best players only execute those with any precision a sliver of the time. More than truly nefarious I would look at these actions as braindead, because trying to fly a drone in one of the most heavily secure areas on the earth and thinking you'll get away with it is especially stupid.

I hope the ladies stick it right up the IOC and their idiot coaches ass.

• Wow
Reactions: John Price

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I gotta be honest, I don't really give all that much of a shit if they drone spyed on New Zealand. I've been watching soccer long enough to know integrity in the sport amounts to wishful thinking. What are they even realistically going to gleam. Oh wow they're planning on kicking it towards our goal while trying to stop us kicking the ball towards theirs. Don't give me that set piece BS, even the best players only execute those with any precision a sliver of the time. More than truly nefarious I would look at these actions as braindead, because trying to fly a drone in one of the most heavily secure areas on the earth and thinking you'll get away with it is especially stupid.

I hope the ladies stick it right up the IOC and their idiot coaches ass.

I think we’re all a bit confused by the risk-reward calculus.

I guess if they’ve been doing it for awhile without being caught they thought the risk was minimal.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Canada deserves punishment and IOC retribution for their actions, they have become the Houston Astros of women's soccer

Yes it sucks the women will likely not be able to defend their gold medal and Canada was always a women's soccer powerhouse but at the end of the day no sympathy tears shed here, don't drone spy.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Canada deserves punishment and IOC retribution for their actions, they have become the Houston Astros of women's soccer

Yes it sucks the women will likely not be able to defend their gold medal and Canada was always a women's soccer powerhouse but at the end of the day no sympathy tears shed here, don't drone spy.
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but they did get punished….. why do I keep reading comments like this? “They deserved to be punished” they’ve been deducted 6 points, the association got fined 300k, Bev has been let go and suspended for a year, and Soccer Canada is still doing it’s own investigation. Give it a rest on the virtue signalling.

It’s amazing how many people in this country are flat out hoping this team fails. I hope they destroy Colombia and advance to the QF’s the crying from some of you will be amazing to see

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
If I were the women, I'd be pissed that Soccer Canada hasn't appealed the six-point deduction. Were they waiting to see how the French game finished? Because beating Columbia isn't guaranteed, and even if it were, the association should be doing a little more than saying "we're gutted for the women who almost certainly had nothing to do with this."

There would absolutely have been an appeal if this had happened during the Men's WC qualifying.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but they did get punished….. why do I keep reading comments like this? “They deserved to be punished” they’ve been deducted 6 points, the association got fined 300k, Bev has been let go and suspended for a year, and Soccer Canada is still doing it’s own investigation. Give it a rest on the virtue signalling.

It’s amazing how many people in this country are flat out hoping this team fails. I hope they destroy Colombia and advance to the QF’s the crying from some of you will be amazing to see

Er, I don’t think he’s Canadian.

If I were the women, I'd be pissed that Soccer Canada hasn't appealed the six-point deduction. Were they waiting to see how the French game finished? Because beating Columbia isn't guaranteed, and even if it were, the association should be doing a little more than saying "we're gutted for the women who almost certainly had nothing to do with this."

There would absolutely have been an appeal if this had happened during the Men's WC qualifying.

Google “appeal Canada” and this comes up.

Canada Soccer and the Canadian Olympic Committee released a joint statement Saturday night saying Canada Soccer would appeal the loss of points.

Imagine getting all worked up and ranting without actually checking first.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John Price

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I was typing out that they had started the process. As i was doing that I saw this:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Fair enough. Why did they wait so long, then? Not sure the snark is warranted.
My guess is they started right after the penalty was issued. The fact that it's being processed tomorrow with an update coming out the following day shows there has been some work behind the scenes. FIFA often doesn't move this quickly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You honestly don't believe that Soccer Canada wouldn't have acted with more alacrity had the men been involved? In that case, I've a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

We don't even know when the appeal was submitted.

We just know when they released their public statement.

You just don't know when to let go, do you? Clearly you've already jumped to a conclusion regardless.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
We don't even know when the appeal was submitted.

We just know when they released their public statement.

You just don't know when to let go, do you? Clearly you've already jumped to a conclusion regardless.
Okay.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I’d resort to memes too if I had no actual facts to bring to the table on the topic.

I think it's less likely that they sat on their hands for days and more likely that it took time to process and submit.

Don't get me wrong, CS is a clown show but on this issue I'd like to get more clarity around what exactly happened when before throwing them under the bus yet again.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they drop it down to 3 points. They used Canada as an example because they have been fined previously for this. Massive decision coming on Wednesday. Amazing that they could still win the group

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they drop it down to 3 points. They used Canada as an example because they have been fined previously for this. Massive decision coming on Wednesday. Amazing that they could still win the group

They're not appealing suspension of the coaching staff. I wonder if that will help.

Personally, I'm not optimistic. We're not a great footballing nation and I don't think we have a lot of clout with FIFA.

Reactions: robertmac43

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Turning to positive things.... Canada plays Panama Tuesday night at 11:06 for a chance to qualify for the U20 World Cup. Panama is a solid side so this will be a battle.

Winner likely gets USA, who play Guatemala.

Mexico have Costa Rica and Honduras have Cuba.. Have to rue the late goal we gave Honduras but this is our best showing in a long time at this event.

Should have some freshness in the team as well as there has been a fair amount of rotation.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I think this is what's going to happen too. Lose the 3 points against New Zealand as that who they used the drone on. Nullify that win, and move on.

The bigger curiosity is the fallout that will occur with the staff and higher ups who partook in this following the internal investigation.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
There is no world in which Bev can return. I would guess Canada Soccer tries to get out from her contract in a way where they don't need to pay.
Oh, absolutely. I'm thinking far deeper rooted than that though. Those in higher management. Does it come back to John Herdman as well. If the CSA is looking to regain the trust of the members of the team and those who support it, they have to drop the hammer and prove that anything like this will not be tolerated in any form.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Reminder about today - USA and Guatemala are on One Soccer at 6. Canada and Panama at 11.

Celtic kicking the tires on Russell-Rowe.

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad