OT: Canada at the FIFA World Cup stage - support our team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Sorry, what???

Canada had 14 shots in the first half. That's the most shots any team has put in a half without scoring since 2006.

This is not hockey. You can't just rely on your goalkeeper to keep you in games, and "force shots to the outside" like is common in hockey. Heck, Canada even had a penalty shot because of Belgium's inability to stop Canada from attacking their 18 yard box.

Canada lost that game because they failed to finish. It had nothing to do with Belgium shutting Canada down.
the hardest thing in football is developing a quality midfield. Especially a quality #10 and his mirror image the #6. Eustaquio a good #8, but he needed a quality #10 in front of him.

Jonathon David is an excellent #9, but had no service. And with no quality #6, it forced alphonso Davies to roam all over the place and not limit himself to being a wingback. that further robbed the offense. Then Davies started to do too much and was out of position.

We need our version of Kimmich and our version of Modric.

Bayren Munich has #6 Kimmich, #10 Muller, or #10 Mane, #9 Chaupo-Moting or #9 Mane, #8 Goretzka or #8 Sabizter. Davies and Pavard are wingback, Hernandez and Upamecano as defenders.

You can repeat for Barca, Real, any of the top 3-5 EPL guys, PSG and so on. You can go through the elite nations and point at their squad and see that these positions are are filled. The weaker teams generally do not have a good #10, #6 and in some instances a good #8.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
All the players on the Canadian National team are playing in top leagues whether it's in Europe or MLS, what we need is more players playing in them. The CPL is only 4 years old and most of those players are teenagers or in their early 20's, a number have already been transferred to European clubs, 4 years time our younger players already on Team Canada will be more experienced and presumably more players will have joined the National team. Also we had a 39 year old and a 35 year old in the starting lineup today, they will be both gone by the next World Cup.
This World Cup was a stepping stone, the next one we will be on a higher step.
We really need more players who are training/playing in the leagues in Europe. MLS is not close to that caliber and the exposure some of our guys have received is letting them garner opportunities with Euro clubs.

That alone will make us stronger for next Cup and hopefully push us up world rankings in the next few years.

Seems to be much more parity this year than I ever remember.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
the hardest thing in football is developing a quality midfield. Especially a quality #10 and his mirror image the #6. Eustaquio a good #8, but he needed a quality #10 in front of him.

Jonathon David is an excellent #9, but had no service. And with no quality #6, it forced alphonso Davies to roam all over the place and not limit himself to being a wingback. that further robbed the offense. Then Davies started to do too much and was out of position.

We need our version of Kimmich and our version of Modric.

Bayren Munich has #6 Kimmich, #10 Muller, or #10 Mane, #9 Chaupo-Moting or #9 Mane, #8 Goretzka or #8 Sabizter. Davies and Pavard are wingback, Hernandez and Upamecano as defenders.

You can repeat for Barca, Real, any of the top 3-5 EPL guys, PSG and so on. You can go through the elite nations and point at their squad and see that these positions are are filled. The weaker teams generally do not have a good #10, #6 and in some instances a good #8.
Right, but what does that have to do with how we played against Belgium?

We played a high press and used our physical advantage to win long balls and cause a ton of issues in the opposing 18. We simply weren't able to finish.

We're never going to have the quality of the best nations in the world. We have to play to our strengths, which is exactly what we're doing so far, and it nearly worked against Belgium. We generated an insane amount of chances.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

We played a high press and used our physical advantage to win long balls and cause a ton of issues in the opposing 18. We simply weren't able to finish.

We're never going to have the quality of the best nations in the world. We have to play to our strengths, which is exactly what we're doing so far, and it nearly worked against Belgium. We generated an insane amount of chances.
one Luca Modric would have meant Davies would be disciplined enough to stay on the left flank. And so his wide runs and delivery into the box would have been service to David, who is an experienced and competent striker. And the presence of a "Modric", would have meant greater service and a secondary central target.

Robert L of Poland is the world's best striker. He is unproductive with his national team because there is little around him. with Bayren and Barca he gets plenty of service.

Canadian winter is to blame for Canada's loses. The game here is played 4-6 months outdoor and 6-8 months indoor. Midfielders need the outdoor game to develop. Strikers are gazelles with one touch that can develop anywhere. Defenders are gazelles with brute strength. That can develop anywhere. Midfielders need finesse and need to adjust to the long ball. They need spatial awareness and soccer IQ. Alphonse Davies is a gazelle who is adept at "flick on and run after". He has a high pass rate, but his passes are typically short and to Kimmich and neighboring players. German clubs have stimmed him when they use a 3 person defensive scheme. 2 high to prevent him going around, one low to prevent the flick. he often fails to send a punishing pass to escape the trap. In 2-3 years when he ages enough and his injuries catch up, he will be finished.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
We really need more players who are training/playing in the leagues in Europe. MLS is not close to that caliber and the exposure some of our guys have received is letting them garner opportunities with Euro clubs.

That alone will make us stronger for next Cup and hopefully push us up world rankings in the next few years.

Seems to be much more parity this year than I ever remember.
by MLS age, you are finished. Who cares where you play.

Junior age is key. 16-20. Think of the CHL or US colleges. Dave Cameron is an NHL coach, coaching the 67's.

Canadian kids have to play in poorly run academies, or local clubs at that age. Canadian geography makes it impossible to travel (way too costly). Canadian winter makes it impossible to play during the longer school season (September to May). That means a loose junior system based upon a season of May-September. Limited by regional play and therefore smaller and less deep competition.

what Canada needs is? nothing...the weather is not about warm up a good 10 C in Canada. And Canada's 40 million are not about to move into an area limited to about the province of Ontario. So unless we can build 2-3 hundred full sized dome fields. I am not sure what a solution is.

Enjoy this run..Davies, David and Buchannan being here is an anomaly. Once they age or get injured, this run is most likely over. I am not sure that the talent coming up is significant.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Our defensive line pushed forward and forward to try and maintain pressure and the Belgians took advantage of that for their goal.

I think we were the better team, but a team as experienced as Belgium will exploit literally the smallest of holes even if they are having a bad game

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Be happy folks...This was wonderful. Only the second appearance ever. One that was 36 years in the making. Scoring 2 goals. Playing in a very difficult group

Belgium is #2 in the world, spent 3 1/2 years as number 1 and only lost that ranking earlier this year.
Croatia was a cup finalist in 2018, ranked 12th
Morocco is #22 in the world and has been a consistent African side.

Their group was the 3rd most difficult, average ranking 19,25. Only 1 ranking average behind the second most difficult group. (The top group was at an average of 15)

In a nation that is winter for 6-8 months (depending on location) and a population density of 4 people/km^2. That ranks us in the bottom 5% of population densities. All the while dealing with the world's most popular sport. This isn't hockey were there are 5 elite nations and all told about 20 decent to elite. The Football world is 100-150 nations deep.

As an aside: Qatar cost ~ 220 billion dollars (USD). Population of Qatar 2.3 million. 96 K per Qatari.....Can you image that stunt here? Wahhh... I love the totalitarian 3rd world. 96 K per Qatari.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
As an aside: Qatar cost ~ 220 billion dollars (USD). Population of Qatar 2.3 million. 96 K per Qatari.....Can you image that stunt here? Wahhh... I love the totalitarian 3rd world. 96 K per Qatari.
Agree with it all but not sure what you mean by this?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Very happy. Lifelong soccer guy so to see the Davies goal was good enough for me! But they carried the play, and there is a lot of potential coming for 2026. Still a program that is climbing!

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Agree with it all but not sure what you mean by this?
Palestinians starve, The Lebanese stave. There are Egyptians who live in cemeteries. Egypt has ghettos that make Brazilian favels seem posh. Syria is a hell hole. There is mass starvation in Yemin. Iraq is another hell hole!!!!!

Is there a sound, sane reason to do this? 220 billion f'ng dollars, so that the Emir and his 100 kids can be entertained. 400-500 dead migrant workers. The world gasped at Brazil 2014 and its 50 billion. then it gasped again at Russia's 2018 and its 50 billion...

220...the world, the Arab world, the Qataris should be chocking.. Un-f'ng real.

and even if you remove the Arab issue out. Just focus on sanity... what insane human believes that it is okay to waste money on this? 220 billion dollars at $100 a covid shot, is 2.2 billion shots. It effectively could have given the vaccine to 1/3 of the adult population of this world. Covid and the Arab world will never be revealed. It was a slaughter.

220 billion dollars at 3%, over a 50 year period, would have meant ~ 1 trillion dollars. And would have given every Qatari (assuming a population increase of 2.5%.) 285 K ...instead it is spent on waste, on construction companies owned by the royals and on foreigners.... a world cup generates about 8 billion in revenue..they are 212 billion down. The 8 billion is principally fifa's, so we are back up to 220 billion.

3rd world totalitarian nations..gotta love them. Old Jean Drapeau screwed MTL over with the 76 olympics.. 1.5 billion...well at 3% and now 46 years, we are talking a whopping 4.5 billion in today's dollar. only 215.5 billion off of Qatar.

let's hope the mod keep this up until you see it.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It will be interesting to see if Herdman will be there in 2026. The team should be better, more experienced. Davies, David, and Buchanan will be in their primes. And to top it off it will be at home (I assume Canada's two group stage games will be in Canada). He's done so much work for the women and men's programs but at the same time I think he wants to manage at club level and maybe four years from now is too long.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Palestinians starve, The Lebanese stave. There are Egyptians who live in cemeteries. Egypt has ghettos that make Brazilian favels seem posh. Syria is a hell hole. There is mass starvation in Yemin. Iraq is another hell hole!!!!!

Is there a sound, sane reason to do this? 220 billion f'ng dollars, so that the Emir and his 100 kids can be entertained. 400-500 dead migrant workers. The world gasped at Brazil 2014 and its 50 billion. then it gasped again at Russia's 2018 and its 50 billion...

220...the world, the Arab world, the Qataris should be chocking.. Un-f'ng real.

and even if you remove the Arab issue out. Just focus on sanity... what insane human believes that it is okay to waste money on this? 220 billion dollars at $100 a covid shot, is 2.2 billion shots. It effectively could have given the vaccine to 1/3 of the adult population of this world. Covid and the Arab world will never be revealed. It was a slaughter.

220 billion dollars at 3%, over a 50 year period, would have meant ~ 1 trillion dollars. And would have given every Qatari (assuming a population increase of 2.5%.) 285 K ...instead it is spent on waste, on construction companies owned by the royals and on foreigners.... a world cup generates about 8 billion in revenue..they are 212 billion down. The 8 billion is principally fifa's, so we are back up to 220 billion.

3rd world totalitarian nations..gotta love them. Old Jean Drapeau screwed MTL over with the 76 olympics.. 1.5 billion...well at 3% and now 46 years, we are talking a whopping 4.5 billion in today's dollar. only 215.5 billion off of Qatar.

let's hope the mod keep this up until you see it.
Ah, you meant the cost for the World Cup. Totally missed the reference.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I do feel a bit disappointed, but honestly it was refreshing to have Canada in the WC. I hope the players learn from this and build on it for the next one.

Definitely looking forward to what they can do. Now time for me to pick a random ass team to cheer for. I usually cheer for England or Ghana because I have family there but this year I'll go for Japan cuz I'm a weeb.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Morocco just beat Spain in penalties and is off the the quarter finals. Their goalkeeper, Yassine Bounou was born in MTL (moved to Morocco very early though)!

I know they bet us, but I'd be fine with Morocco going all the way. Plus they're the only non-Euro/South American team left. Its fun cheering for anyone outside those continents.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Morocco just beat Spain in penalties and is off the the quarter finals. Their goalkeeper, Yassine Bounou was born in MTL (moved to Morocco very early though)!

I know they bet us, but I'd be fine with Morocco going all the way. Plus they're the only non-Euro/South American team left. Its fun cheering for anyone outside those continents.
He was incredible… zero goals conceded to an opposition team, including penalties today.

Argentina is the team to beat

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He was incredible… zero goals conceded to an opposition team, including penalties today.

Argentina is the team to beat
I think Argentina vs Portugal in the finals would be one of the most prolific finals of all time. Goat vs Goat in (what should be) their final world cups

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think Argentina vs Portugal in the finals would be one of the most prolific finals of all time. Goat vs Goat in (what should be) their final world cups
France is a team Portugal would have to beat first, to end up-in the final…. No easy task

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Can't say I really like anyone left now.

I mean Messi as a person seems like a good dude, but otherwise . . .

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
Two teams from our group are in the semi-finals and none of them is Belgium. Who would've thought.
Also Canada is the only team that scored a goal vs Morocco.
And Belgium almost beat (and eliminated) Croatia.
In retrospect, I think they can call the F group "The Group of Death".
Makes Canada look pretty good considering how well they played against Belgium and that they came within an inch or two of tying up the match with Morocco.

Reactions: bicboi64

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
DCA40AFC-35C2-46D3-8D03-00BF338F5C4B.png

Two teams from our group are in the semi-finals and none of them is Belgium. Who would've thought.
Also Canada is the only team that scored a goal vs Morocco.
No Canadian player scored vs Morocco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad