GDT: CAN vs. GBR May 11, 2024

Tribec

Jun 20, 2004
Really like the British team. I really hope the UK as a whole continues to make strides in the game. Fun to see.

To be where we are is unreal in so many ways, hockey is so far down the food chain of British sporting attention. What it really needs is a Olympic apperance, to spark some interest from the big TV channels, it's currently stuck on a minor cable channel that doesn't draw a lot of viewers. Increased coverage and attention of an Olympic's appearance could spark a surge in interest, which would lead to more youngsters possibly taking up the sport and more money being put into the development of them.

Tribec

Jun 20, 2004
I would give an NHL contract (top 6 role, he is not a bottom 6 player) for Liam Kirk, no idea why didn't Coyotes give him a shot.
Liam is still really good player.

He shines in this GB team, my worry isn't his ability it's the consistentcy at that the NHL level. Whilst I suspect that he'd adapt to playing at that level and be able to do so, he'll be bottom 6 at most clubs, be one of the first to be sat in the press box, sent down, called back up, play a few games, sits and sent down.

No shame in that role, it would be a huge achievement for a Brit trained player to be in that position, but how many players are like that in the NHL already? Another couple of expansion teams though and you never know he might find his way back into the league.

Reactions: Summer Rose

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
Yeah agreed that NHL might be a bit too soon for Liam, as much as I love watching him play. If he can prove himself as a top-6 forward on a top European team then we can start that conversation maybe.

Also impressed with Ben O'Connor who I had thought was on the wane on the past couple of years but was nice to see him prove he still has plenty of skill to contribute to the team.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I felt as though Zellweger was -by far- the best defenseman for Canada. He was pretty much the only one to really put in effort, hustled, and made some nice passes as well as some deceptive moves to create passing lanes. No idea why Tourigny sat him for most of the game, he was their biggest dynamo on the back end.

Oh, by the way: thanks for the nice hospitality, Prague. The arena is a beauty.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I didn't see the game but this is exactly why I wanted to play Canada first.lol Also tells me that GBR will beat us this week.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Wow very pleasantly surprised by our performance and the score. Obviously if Canada had been going full throttle, or had access to all their best players, it would've been a different story, but impressive all the same.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I would give an NHL contract (top 6 role, he is not a bottom 6 player) for Liam Kirk, no idea why didn't Coyotes give him a shot.
Liam is still really good player.
I think I would, too. However, for the coming year, he should establish himself in the AHL and possibly be a call-up option. But he doesn't look too out of place amongst the NHLers.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Just found out that the father of Sean Longstaff(Newcastle United) was an English pro hockey player, and is the GB Hockey HOF. 6'2", 225 lb. and looks like kind of a badass, which you'd expect from a Geordie.
Yep David Longstaff is a legend in GB hockey. Arguably the 3rd most talented Brit of all time, behind only Kirk and Tony Hand. Don’t think he ever tried his luck in NA but did play in the top tier in Sweden.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Just found out that the father of Sean Longstaff(Newcastle United) was an English pro hockey player, and is the GB Hockey HOF. 6'2", 225 lb. and looks like kind of a badass, which you'd expect from a Geordie.
He was a beast, a great power forward with great hands.

He was better than many of the ex-Ahl players in the Super League era. Slowed only by a couple of bad injuries.

Pretty embarrassing to Canada despite the ex-pats playing for GB. This was the biggest game in the careers of many of the GB guys so they will have really thrown everything at it. Canada were probably highly complacent.

All credit to GB though for a great showing.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
4-2 against Great Britain is pretty sad though.

The Finns crushed them 8-0
Canada always starts slowly at the WC. They've lost to minnows before at the beginning of this touney and still won Gold medals.
Team is basically slapped together and needs time to gel while at the same time it's playing inferior opponents that are playing their balls off against one of the best hockey countries in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad