Speculation: Can Nash be like Brassard?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

THOR77

Aug 1, 2010
Rick Nash

Come on guy Nash is not finnish he had 1 ****, garbage, season last year.
I think he'll surprize a few people this year.
Too much skill for it not to happen.

GO RANGER GO

Only 32 years old
not 40

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Can the Rangers do a similar deal with Nash like they did with OTT?

Trade Nash for a younger winger with potential and a 2nd round pick.

It Nash had a lower salary than cap hit it would help, but his salary is actually slightly higher than $7.8m for then next two seasons.

And he can only be traded to 12 teams.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Nash has a high cap hit and will make a lot of money the next 2 years, but he still has a lot of value to the right team. He's coming off a bad year, but let's not forget that he scored 42 goals and 69 points the year before. 30 goals is certainly within the realm of possibility.

If the Rangers were to retain 50%, I have no doubt that there would be several teams interested.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Can they get a similar deal? Probably...would they want to? I'm not sure. Nash is a big piece of the Rangers success, regardless of what the majority opinion around here is. When you watch him every game, you realize that he brings a lot more to a team than just goal scoring. If he's not potting 30-35 goals, then no he probably isn't worth the $7.8 mil he's getting paid. But there are a lot of other players in the league that are overpaid for bringing less than what Nash does every game.

If I'm Jeff Gorton, I'm keeping Nash around unless you can get a blue-chip prospect that's almost NHL ready. I know that's unlikely, but that would be the only thing I would do.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
People seem not to realize that the Sens are going to pay Brassard $10m over the next 3 years.

I do agreenwith you that it is highly unlikely unless the the Rangers really retain big $'s.

This. Ottawa is a budget team, they saw a good player who they wouldn't have to actually pay very much (regardless of his cap hit) and jumped on it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Move him where? What type of team that could use Nash (cup contender) has the cap space to take on 7.8M and pay over 8M in salary? Rangers will have to either retain or take on a cap dump regardless of Nash's value.

No one is expecting a swindle here. Nash has alternated a bit and after being snake bit in POs yr before, went on 41g tear, then cold last yr, due to get hot again, but that is besides the pt.

Chara is almost 40, not worth his similar $ for 2 years. To take this 35+ yr contract off Bs hands, would do:

Nash
for
Chara
J. Hayes
this last 1st round pick McAvoy

Rangers would have limited use for Chara, in front of net on offense/defense, and shot at PP, a limited use 4th line LW, but the assets returned would make this work.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Problem is you are betting against the house there.

He is more than capable of potting 30 again, but his health and confidence issues, paired with his evolution of focusing more on defense are factors that could affect his goal scoring output. If he goes the other way (looks like he is a shell of his former self) then you are left holding coal instead of diamond on christmas morning

Evolution of playing defense? He's played the same exact game for years and scored 42 goals in 2015.

There's no evolution to his game. This is crap people make up that don't watch him on a nightly basis.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Evolution of playing defense? He's played the same exact game for years and scored 42 goals in 2015.

There's no evolution to his game. This is crap people make up that don't watch him on a nightly basis.

Uh, no he hasnt

you clearly didnt watch Nash pre-2014

Mike Babcock was the only one to get through to him to play a 200 ft game once he put him on the PK for the '14 Olympics

Nash was as one dimensional as it gets before the 2014 olympics and was a complete floater in Columbus

Babcock put Nash on the shutdown line with Toews and E.Staal in 2010 for his speed and goal scoring prowess to keep that line lethal while Staal and Toews were doing all the heavy lifting of checking the other teams top lines. Dont get me wrong, Nash has become a real solid player, but there is a stark contrast defensively even in the 2010 olympics rick nash and the 2014 olympics rick nash, for the better

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Uh, no he hasnt

you clearly didnt watch Nash pre-2014

Mike Babcock was the only one to get through to him to play a 200 ft game once he put him on the PK for the '14 Olympics

Nash was as one dimensional as it gets before the 2014 olympics and was a complete floater in Columbus

Babcock put Nash on the shutdown line with Toews and E.Staal in 2010 for his speed and goal scoring prowess to keep that line lethal while Staal and Toews were doing all the heavy lifting of checking the other teams top lines. Dont get me wrong, Nash has become a real solid player, but there is a stark contrast defensively even in the 2010 olympics rick nash and the 2014 olympics rick nash, for the better

Actually I did and Ken Hitchcock for years in Columbus lauded him for his defensive play and penalty killing.

Babcock then deployed Nash directly against Kovalchuk in the 2010 Olympics and lauded him for the job he did on him.

Stick to the Hawks.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

These stats dont really share your sentiment:

Rick Nash Selke votes (received a top 5 vote)

2015: 38
2014: 0
2013: 0
2012: 0
2011: 0
2010: 0
2009: 7
2008: 1
2007: 0
2006: 0

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Actually I did and Ken Hitchcock for years in Columbus lauded him for his defensive play and penalty killing.

Babcock then deployed Nash directly against Kovalchuk in the 2010 Olympics and lauded him for the job he did on him.

Stick to the Hawks.

His selke voting history just buried your argument

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
These stats dont really share your sentiment:

Rick Nash Selke votes (received a top 5 vote)

2015: 38
2014: 0
2013: 0
2012: 0
2011: 0
2010: 0
2009: 7
2008: 1
2007: 0
2006: 0

His selke voting history just buried your argument

Selke Votes prove exactly what about the way the Ken Hitchcock and Mike Babcock used him?

They prove what about why he was picked to team Canada in 2014?

All you have is a flawed voting system to go by. You can't even describe his game because you don't watch and haven't been watching him.

Buried my argument? Lmao. What a joke.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Stick to the Hawks.

Babcock also lauded that whoever was playing with Toews in the 2010 olympics was the most deadly forward. So, again, lauding Toews for doing all the heavy lifting of the shutdown line

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Selke Votes prove exactly what about the way the Ken Hitchcock and Mike Babcock used him?

They prove what about why he was picked to team Canada in 2014?

All you have is a flawed voting system to go by. You can't even describe his game because you don't watch and haven't been watching him.

Buried my argument? Lmao. What a joke.

I have described his game better in his career arc than you have. you just choose to describe him how you want to view him since he put on a ranger sweater

it is widely known Nash was a floater in columbus but you can pretend otherwise and look through broadway blue lenses if you choose

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I have described his game better in his career arc than you have. you just choose to describe him how you want to view him since he put on a ranger sweater

it is widely known Nash was a floater in columbus but you can pretend otherwise and look through broadway blue lenses if you choose

So Hitchcock used a floater on his top penalty killing unit?

Game. Set. Match.

Good bye. Invest in center ice and get off the Xbox.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You know Hitch also got fired out of Columbus right with 0 total playoff wins?

FATALITY

Yeah I'm sure that has everything to do with the fact that they didn't have much talent, didn't develop their young talent properly through the organization.

I'm sure Hitchcock was fired because he was the reason and Nash on the PK was a bad idea, being that he had a 40 goal season in 09. Which was also their 1st winning season in franchise history.

Yeah. You need to stop.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah I'm sure that has everything to do with the fact that they didn't have much talent, didn't develop their young talent properly through the organization.

I'm sure Hitchcock was fired because he was the reason and Nash on the PK was a bad idea, being that he had a 40 goal season in 09. Which was also their 1st winning season in franchise history.

Yeah. You need to stop.

Ah yes, the pre-2014 selke caliber Rick Nash

The great white buffalo

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Again, you've done nothing to show that Nash was a floater. I'm sure Hitchcock is a terrible coach. I mean only one winning season with that Columbus team?

He should be ashamed of himself.

Except show you his defensive forward voting which completely supports my case and trumps yours, although you refuse to accept it?

pretty hilarious how in 7 of the last 10 years he got ZERO selke votes in the top 5 (and there are a LOT of voters, nearly 150 to be exact, its not like the vezina)

then suddenly in the last year he exploded for 38 votes. its almost like he "evolved" his game, to my original post

I would bet Rick Nash isnt even in the top 100 of selke voting of the 9 years COMBINED preceding his 2015 season where he got 38 votes

which if your argument was factual, then there would be no way he would be that far down the list over a near decade if he was so solid defensively

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad