Proposal: Calvin Pickard to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Anything to get rid of Hammond so delusional Sens fans stop thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread for his cinderalla run...

I'm a Sens fan who thinks that he's a good backup with excellent 5v5 numbers. I don't think you'll find a lot of Sens fans who think that he's a #1 goalie.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm a Sens fan who thinks that he's a good backup with excellent 5v5 numbers. I don't think you'll find a lot of Sens fans who think that he's a #1 goalie.

I like Hammond, guy's a good backup for don't think he'll be a #1. Also the Sens have no interest in Pickard.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
It's ok that we disagree. Everyone ranks their top 10 differently. Like I said, I have him in my top 15, but that's about it. As far as I can tell, he's had one excellent season and a bunch of good ones. And a bunch of injuries. He's a middle of the road guy to me.

By your own logic you shouldn't have Rinne in your top 10. He hasn't been good in a few years, and the Preds haven't been bad. That you think Mrazek is possibly ahead of him because of one good partial season is also hypocrisy. A goalie with one excellent seasons and a bunch of good ones is a top 10 goalie in this day and age considering you're listing a guy with a couple of excellent ones and a bunch of poor ones as of late ahead of him.

I have no issue with you having a different top 10 than I would have, but make sure you're not contradicting yourself with it.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
By your own logic you shouldn't have Rinne in your top 10. He hasn't been good in a few years, and the Preds haven't been bad. That you think Mrazek is possibly ahead of him because of one good partial season is also hypocrisy. A goalie with one excellent seasons and a bunch of good ones is a top 10 goalie in this day and age considering you're listing a guy with a couple of excellent ones and a bunch of poor ones as of late ahead of him.

I have no issue with you having a different top 10 than I would have, but make sure you're not contradicting yourself with it.

I suppose that's fair. Rinne hasn't been the same goalie the last couple of years. Maybe Varly has supplanted him now. A major concern, though, is his ability to stay healthy. A lot of goalies who had top 10 ability fall off once the injuries start piling up. Lehtonen is a good example of that. Top 10 toolbox, but injuries ruined his trajectory.

As is often the case, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe Varly fits best into one of the spots between 8 and 12 or so. I'm always open to new info or different perspectives.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I suppose that's fair. Rinne hasn't been the same goalie the last couple of years. Maybe Varly has supplanted him now. A major concern, though, is his ability to stay healthy. A lot of goalies who had top 10 ability fall off once the injuries start piling up. Lehtonen is a good example of that. Top 10 toolbox, but injuries ruined his trajectory.

As is often the case, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe Varly fits best into one of the spots between 8 and 12 or so. I'm always open to new info or different perspectives.

The list stuff really intrigues me because at some point the placement is very arbitrary. I think we focus too much as fans on top 10 or more. In reality I think top can bring about more discussion. The truly best of the best for me. While I think Varly is a top 10 goalie, I don't think whether or not he's 10 or 12 provides much difference. He's not a top 5, and top 5 goalies are really who we lust after. Everyone else is just "meh".

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Anything to get rid of Hammond so delusional Sens fans stop thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread for his cinderalla run...

I've literally not heard any one say anything like that since his cinderella run ended a year and a half ago. And I use the word literally very literally.

There's lots of things Sens fans may be overenthusiastic about, Andrew Hammond is most certainly not one of them.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I've literally not heard any one say anything like that since his cinderella run ended a year and a half ago. And I use the word literally very literally.

There's lots of things Sens fans may be overenthusiastic about, Andrew Hammond is most certainly not one of them.

agreed....

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We'll see. We'll either trade Pickard before the expansion draft or expose Varly. This season will determine which route we take.

So it's impossible to give a value on Pickard. If we take option B from above, Pickard will be essentially untouchable.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Well your illuminating post certainly got me thinking, great contribution.

Are you aware of the events leading up to Jones fetching a 1st? You realize that he was traded from LA to Boston before being dealt to SJ, right?

Pretty safe to assume that his value was buoyed by Boston feeling they'd "won" the trade with LA- and that something was already in place since LA wouldn't trade Jones directly to SJ. Boston would need incentive to backdoor LA like that, I would think.

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Are you aware of the events leading up to Jones fetching a 1st? You realize that he was traded from LA to Boston before being dealt to SJ, right?

Pretty safe to assume that his value was buoyed by Boston feeling they'd "won" the trade with LA- and that something was already in place since LA wouldn't trade Jones directly to SJ.

How does Jones being traded once already buoy his value to San Jose, the team that was willing to pay a first round pick? Are you seriously going to argue that San Jose saw Jones traded from LA to Boston and thought, "well, now we're willing to pay more!" Unless that's your argument, your point is irrelevant.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
How does Jones being traded once already buoy his value to San Jose, the team that was willing to pay a first round pick? Are you seriously going to argue that San Jose saw Jones traded from LA to Boston and thought, "well, now we're willing to pay more!" Unless that's your argument, your point is irrelevant.

Started to edit my post and got sidetracked.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm actually kind of impressed with how civil this thread has been in general.

To the OP, nope not enough. Thanks

I'm not sure what I'd want, probably a good size forward (average at least) who was picked in the first round within the last two years that has had a relatively good development track. Or simply a 1st round pick, protecting it gets kind of ugly and expensive, because I'd probably want a third in 2018, and unprotected for 2019 then.

A right handed D prospect would probably work as well. We've pretty much only got Meloche now. Defense prospects are like platinum now though.

I do like that Varlamov for Methot idea though, that's not bad. After the end of this season, or at the trade deadline (maybe) it could work for Pickard.

IMO... FB will either waive or be bought out. There just simply zero reason for the Avs to be stuck to 4 & 4 because of one more year committed to him. They'll have a massive amount of cap space with very little available in free-agency as well. So eating FB's contract won't be an issue.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad